what are laws pertaining to open carry

Discussion in 'The Constitutional & RKBA Forum' started by lentz, Mar 18, 2010.

1. lentz

lentz Former Guest

If my state ever becomes open carry,(and I hope it does)what sort of permit do you need?(if any)
    And how will the police know the fellow walking down the street is legally carrying or is a gang banger? Maybe silly questions but would like to know.
    I maybe wrong but if open carry,then everyone will carry,how do you tell the bad from the good? You who live in open carry states please reply.
  2. pinecone70

pinecone70 Active Member

It's up to the individual states, what the rules are. My state is an open carry state, but they recommend complete concealment because people freak out and pester the police, because you can't tell the good guys from the bad.
  3. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

As Pinecone said, it's up to the state. Some states don't require a permit to carry openly (Virginia springs to mind), but you need one to carry concealed. Some require a permit to carry, either openly or concealed (Indiana and Georgia, for example). How does the cop know you're a good guy and are carrying legally? He doesn't. So what? Does a cop stop everyone he sees driving a car, to make sure they have a license and insurance? No. Why should he stop everyone he says carrying a gun, to make sure they are licensed? He shouldn't. Some do, anyway.
  4. Eddie N

Eddie N New Member

Open carry is legal here, too. But, best to keep it concealed.
    IMHO, it should be easy to tell the good guys from the bad. On bad guys, you won't see the gun until it's too late.
  5. lentz

lentz Former Guest

Point well taken!!
  6. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

I truly wish we had open carry. I don't know if I would, but it would be nice to not worry about the holster sticking down below the jacket, or reaching up to take something off a high shelf and your shirt riding up and showing.
  7. larryg

larryg New Member

In Ohio we have open carry (I don't do it) but there have been reports of people being arrested for other charges because someone calls
  8. user

user Active Member

Northern piedmont of Va. and Middle of Nowhere, We
    Best to start by reading the constitution of your own state. The Second Amendment is modeled on a similar provision in the Virginia Constitution, which is why no one can tell you you can't carry a gun in Virginia.