What are the benefits of a match barrel?

Discussion in 'The 1911 Forum' started by hogger129, Mar 21, 2011.

1. hogger129

hogger129 Active Member

Was considering getting a match grade barrel for my Springer and was wondering what some of the benefits of it are. Will it increase accuracy that much that it's worth it? The only real difference I understood about it is that it will last longer than a normal barrel.

Some of the ones I have been looking at say it has to be fitted. What all does that mean? Like the gun has to be modified for the barrel to work in it?

I also noticed some are ramped and some aren't. Does it have to be ramped?
    Last edited: Mar 21, 2011
  2. TheGunClinger

TheGunClinger Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Jeesh Hogger! You need to fix your current problem first. Are your loose sights to blame for your 10' misses or is it something else? You got a Springer Loaded so it should be pretty accurate at 10', if not, fix that first, then go for upgrades which will require fitting. As for a longer lasting barrel, I doubt that you or I will ever wear one of them out. Just saying.
  3. woolleyworm

woolleyworm Active Member

It all comes down to documented tolerances; match barrels are made to a tighter tolerance. In reality, you could get a "non match" barrel that is made to a realized tolerance greater than a match barrel. The odds of that happening are very very slim, but it could happen. You're paying for more exact manufacturing and the result is better accuracy, closer fit.

Fitted, just means that they didn't machine everything down to nominal specs; This allows for a custom fit on Your Gun, ensuring that you get the best possible fit. hood, lug, bushing if it has one all need checked and fitted.

you can have either; standard GI barrels are not ramped

The only real thing that affects a barrels life ( 99% of it at least) is how hot your loads are. If you rapid fire the snot out of it, this will shorten life too.
    Last edited: Mar 21, 2011