The Firearms Forum banner

What Are The Real Tactics Of Self Defence?

2K views 7 replies 7 participants last post by  dustydog 
#1 · (Edited)
1. There needs to be a very obvious reason for use of Deadly Force. These reasons may vary from State to State.
2. Some States also require that you have tried to avoid the circumstance and tried to exit.
3. Are you ready to defend your self in court for your actions with all the costs. Including, a possible suit brought about by the bad guys or their families for damages?
4. While I agree that many of the gun laws are not logical. The Castle Doctrine appears to be the most beneficial for someone that uses Deadly Force to protect themselves and/or their loved ones. But, this depends on how it is written with all the buts, ands, its, and wherefores.

And the list goes on.... Now lets talk about being out in the world and self defense tactics.

When a BG makes a decision to attack you and makes his move. The move is not from the front normally, but from behind your back and you may not be able to see if a weapon is present and it is a definite threat. What good does concealed carry do for you then? Frontal attacks are for the store clerk or someone that has something between the attacker and you, unless it is 2 or more BG's confronting you. Even then, if you can bring out your gun you are still way behind should they be armed with a club, knife, gun or other weapon and it is out and ready. The BG still has the advantage and would not back down. And should the BG not have a weapon and you use Deadly Force. It will make one hell of a court case for the BG.

If, the BG('s) could see that you were carrying, it would make them hesitate and in their mind make them want to re-examine their position and most likely they would try to find another victim that was not as strong as you are. Unless, they were very desperate.

The best situation for Concealed Carry is that you are a bystander and can bring your weapon out in time to prevent the BG's from hurting someone else and thus the "surprise" effect should the BG's have a weapon visible.

I do not want to be a victim. But, if I have to defend myself it has to be according to the State and Federal laws. Sometimes, even these laws are not really clear.

See less See more
#2 ·
When I lived in Wyoming it was common to see folks open carrying. At first I would say to myself, "WOW! These people really stand out from the crowd and the hair on the back of my neck would raise!" I soon became accustomed to it and would not pay that much attention and just except it. I just figured that if trouble came at me in any form. I wanted to be around these folks that were carrying and I felt safer in their presence.

I would give these "healed" folks a little more respect and give way to them. 'Course, I never went healed myself, but, even when I was around a cop and saw the iron on his hip. They would just naturally be the one in authority. The badge and uniform didn't amount to as much, But it was the open carried gun that registered the most in my mind.

#3 ·
"...not from the front normally, but from behind your back and you may not be able to see..." This is exactly why I've been practicing almost nothing but point-shooting from the hip, and one-handed from about chest level- that is, not having time to bring the gun up with two hands, aim and fire. No, it won't help if I don't even have time to draw- but all we can do is prepare the best we can- we simply cannot be ready for EVERYthing.
I also practice what to say afterwards if it ever happens- and even what to say to a LEO if I'm stopped while carrying.
Really important stuff Rhuga, we should all try and be aware of these things as much as possible.

#5 ·
The best tactic for self defense is practicing situational awareness, use of cover, and tactical retreat. The firearm is used from #2, during #3, when #1 fails.
Right on the money! If you are not aware of what is going on around you, it makes no difference if you have a gun or not, nor does it matter if the gun is visible or not! You are walking out of the grocery store into the parking lot. Go slow coming out the door, look around, do you see anything that might pose a threat? Either just outside the doors, or in the parking lot? Is there only one? Or several? If you see something that doesn't look right, trust your instincts, don't let them get behind you, or aproach you. Being aware will save you some real headaches, having a gun will only help if the BG thinks he can still make you a victim, even though he knows you have spotted him.

#6 ·
Situational awareness and a bluff probably saved my life or kept me from getting robbed.

I once lived in a townhouse complex that faced the woods. It had a very long sidewalk in front leading to the parking lot that wasn't very well lit. One dark night while walking to my car, I noticed something out of the corner of my eye. A man in the woods was paralleling me and didn't know that I could see him. As I got closer to the parking lot, he got closer to me on the sidewalk. This was before I even owned a gun, so when the guy got close to me, I bluffed by putting put my hand in my pocket and dared him to come any closer. It worked, he moved away back into the woods and I never saw him again.

Had I not turned my head some when I came out my door, I would have never noticed this guy in the woods watching me.

#7 ·
Just like Palmetto said. Notice what's around you and you will reduce greatly the chances you will be a victim, carrying a gun will take care of that smaller percentage left over.

I was sent on a mission to hit up a stop n rob late at night because the wife needed some stuff to make a good breakfast in the morning. Since I like good food I took the extra step to put the Glock in the pants and P32 in the pocket (one is none). I instantly noticed a rough looking guy watching everyone in the store, especially the guy with the money machine in front of him. He wasn't shopping and was not looking at product. He noticed me notice him as I moved to the other side of the store. He watched me watch him, got real nervous and left. Not a single person in there noticed anything walking around in condition white.

Another time SA saved my hide for real was about 14 or so years ago. My brother was over at my apartment and the power went out. I instantly noticed the outside street lights were still on, the weather was nice and most important I could see light creeping under the door going to the hall. What I noticed even more was the shadow two legs cast on that light in front of my door. It just happens we were shooting that day and I just finished cleaning the SAR1 and G17. I grabbed the AK and racked it. I heard an "oh chit" from the hallway and the sound of a person going down the stairs so fast they fell.

Someone switched off the main going to just my apartment and figured I would let them in when I went to go check things out.

I turned my power back on and called the office. It so happens that this is how several invasions had been happening in my area. Suspect everyone, park in well lit areas, watch everyone and I even look into cars before I walk past them. The pay off for paying constant attention to what's around me is never having been a victim. While I know I would have if I was not so aware.

The real tactics of self defense are don't have to defend yourself. Yet be prepared for those ones that don't care you noticed them and still want what you got. Violence of action will put you on top if you ever need to defend yourself and the OP sounds like he needs some help the interweb will never be able to give him....

#8 ·
Best line regarding self defence I ever heard cam out of the mouth of Mas Ayoub."Know how to survive a gunfight?Get the H**l out of there."

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.