What Are Your Favorite .22-Handguns ?

Discussion in '.22-Rimfire Forum' started by Smokin Guns, Mar 8, 2003.

1. Smokin Guns

Smokin Guns New Member

Tac401
    Administrator
    (3/24/01 2:24:10 pm)
    Reply What Are Your Favorite .22-Handguns ?
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Mine are my S&W Mod. 34 2-in. J frame,
    my Llamma small frame(baby 1911-A1)& my NAA mini
    revolver 5-shot.

Tac
    The Firearms Forum Vietnam Memories Bulletin Board Contact Administrator

Bob In St Louis
    Senior Chief Moderator Staff
    (3/24/01 2:37:09 pm)
    Reply Re: What Are Your Favorite .22-Handguns ?
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Beretta Model 87 long slide.
    Support the Dead Party, vote Harry S. Truman for Missouri Senate in 2002!

TallTLynn
    (3/24/01 10:06:21 pm)
    Beretta Model 71 (and yes I got the clip out thanks to Tye).

Edited by: TallTLynn at: 7/15/01 3:03:47 pm

Zigzag2
    (3/25/01 6:47:49 am)
    High Standard H-D Military and 4Aces in 22short

AntiqueDr
    (3/25/01 10:52:41 am)
    Colt Woodsman, all flavors.

Purveyor of Fine Firearms to the Enlightened Few

shooter45 us
    (3/26/01 11:43:49 am)
    LTS, I just bought another 22/45. I changed my grip and don't drop the mag. now. So, what to do to make it a real shooter?

Kdubya
    (3/26/01 5:27:19 pm)
    Shot a Hi Standard Model 101 in competition for years and years. The one with the 10 1/4" bbl with the Buck Rogers muzzle brake and sliding weights under the barrel. Also, had a Olympic ISU setup with lighter slide, magazine and 6" barrel chambered for .22 Short for the gun. Sold it in early 70's after no longer shooting competition and H-S quit making them. DUMB - DUMB - DUMB!
    Now have a Ruger Government Target Model in SS and 6" barrel. Little heavy with the red dot scope on it, but does a fair job in the accuracy department.
    Keep off the Ridgeline!!

Edited by: kdubaz at: 7/21/01 3:53:50 pm

warpig883
    (3/30/01 7:56:01 am)
    H&R Sportsman,Any High Standards, Browning Buckmark.
    I fear we have awaked a sleeping giant and filled it with a terrible resolve. Jap. Admiral Yamamota directly after Pearl Harbor

Rons Toys
    (3/30/01 9:55:15 am)
    I have a few H-S, Sport King 1st model (1952)95-98%, s-101 6 3/4 with stablizer (comp) HB w/weights (1957) 95-98% and my H-S shooter mil citation II 5 1/2 bull (84). My boy has a Browning buckmark that he modified when he worked at Magnaport, Brake and tricked up.
    Ron

shooter45 us
    *Senior Chief Moderator*
    (3/30/01 10:52:26 am)
    Ron, I found a H-S Sport King w/2 mags for around $200. Didn't buy it. I'm holding out for a Citation.

Rons Toys
    (3/30/01 11:12:01 am)
    The first two are collectors and I'm very proud of them. Make sure you know what your getting, none of the stuff made since 84 are as good as the old ones.
    Ron

timberbeast
    (4/19/01 12:31:35 am)
    Ruger Single-Six, nicely worn, scratched, and dented.

reedbuster
    (6/28/01 3:49:35 pm)
    I like my Buckmark, addad the Hi viz sights, awesome accuracy

M Opaliski
    (6/28/01 9:21:29 pm)
    ezSupporter
    Re: What Are Your Favorite .22-Handguns ?
    Smith&Wesson 422 Target ...
    Perhaps the Walther P22 Target ... if it ever does get here.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Support your RKBA ... Matthew
    NRA Life Member
    Talk Radio Junkie
    opaliski@hotmail.com
    TheFirearmsEnthusiast

tuckerd1
    (6/28/01 9:34:55 pm)
    Had a High Standard Supermatis in the mid 70's that shot excellent. Should have never sold it. Bought a Browning Buckmark in 90 that shoots very well and fun too.

But I am quickly learning to enjoy the Ciener Platinum Cup 22 conversion kit I bought for my 1911's. Shoots accurate, reliable, and keeps the trigger and feel of my favorite 1911.

LIKTOSHOOT
    (6/28/01 9:39:58 pm)
    I`ll just stick with my 22/45`s and keep the secret to myself. hehehehehehe

BlackGun
    (6/30/01 2:57:29 pm)
    Browning Buck Mark! Deadly accurate! Editing my post and adding my new prestine S&W (1961 ventage) Mod. 34 J frame Nikel 2" w/flat latch Ser#17xxx
    rules for survival: Sight alignment, Breath control, & Trigger Squeeze
    BlackGUN

Edited by: BlackGun at: 7/22/01 1:51:42 pm

Different name
    V.I.P. Member
    (7/14/01 2:20:45 pm)
    ezSupporter
    Beretta 87 Target 6" w/scope. A real fast shooter. Above average balance and a good competition 22. Practice, Practice....
    Charlie D
    ------------------
    Shooting, like Measles,
    should be caught Young...

44rugerfan
    V.I.P. Member
    (7/15/01 11:15:14 am)
    ezSupporter
    22/45 SS Target Model 5.5" barrel
    LTS, I understand...once you shoot the best....
    The Trademark Of Reliability

Mr Jody Hudson
    (7/15/01 6:54:22 pm)
    ezSupporter
    Two now: Walther TPH and S&W Mod. 41

Was: OLD Ruger Target with 6" barrel, have had several new ones and sold them. And OLD S&W kit gun. And, OLD .22 short Beretta Minx.

Will Be: Probably one more added to my current two and that is one of the .22 conversions for my Glock 19.
    Real Estate services; Lewes, Rehoboth, Dewey, Bethany, Fenwick, Oak Orchard and inland bays of Delaware. Informative essays too. Please visit our website and discussion board.

twins
    (7/21/01 4:31:16 am)
    Reply What Are Your Favorite .22-Handguns
    Jennings 22 with a bayonet

Ruger MKII with bull barrel

Flhunter
    V.I.P. Member
    (7/21/01 3:08:55 pm)

Guns don't cause crime anymore than flies caues garbage.

Edited by: Flhunter at: 8/19/01 1:35:47 pm

Bompa
    V.I.P. Member
    (7/22/01 8:47:20 am)
    Tuckerd 1,,,
    You say great things about the Ceiner conversion kit..Have you had any problems with it ?? I bought one back in 94 and
    had all kinds of trouble..Turns out one needed to have a 23lb
    mainspring to make it work properly..Needeless to say I was running 19lb spring so the damn thing didn't work..Several years later,last week after ordering a new model,I decided to
    try a heavy spring..Darn thing putts right along but that heavy
    trigger pull,5lb is best I could do,is hard to take when one is acustomed to 3/12lbs..Can't wait till the new kit arrives,
    tomorrow maybe,to see if it will work with normal spring setup.
    Going to keep the 15round mags though..By the way I ordered the std. kit because I intend to try an Optima 2000
    on it..Like them !!
    Sorry long post.I get carried away at times..
    Henry

tuckerd1
    V.I.P. Member
    (7/23/01 7:05:44 am)
    Bompa, My Ciener I puchased 2-3 months ago has functioned almost flawlessly. I have had 3 rds, I think, of Remington Thunderbolt fail to feed. That was in the first 100 rds I shot. Since then it has performed great on all ammo I have shot. Lot of years and refinement since 1994. Keep us informed on how it does.

varmit hunter
    (7/27/01 8:14:15 am)
    Reply Re: What Are Your Favorite .22-Handguns
    S&W 22-06..........................Then my no blue,engraved by
    I.m.Abuser Rugger Single Six.

compgunfire
    (8/14/01 7:08:28 pm)
    I've got a real sleeper for you, the "AMT" Back-up. The .380 caliber is more commonly seen, but my Back-up in .22LR is a fun gun. Could use some extra mag.s though.

warpig883
    V.I.P. Member
    (8/15/01 4:47:12 am)
    I can' let this topic die without mentioning my RG-10 in .22 short. She's a real long range unit with the sniper scope.
    I fear we have awaked a sleeping giant and filled it with a terrible resolve. Jap. Admiral Yamamota directly after Pearl Harbor. If the women don't find you handsome, at least they should find you handy. Red Green. I am the ILLUSTRIOUS POTENTATE!

berto64
    V.I.P. Member
    (8/16/01 6:24:14 pm)
    ezSupporter
    Re: What Are Your Favorite .22-Handguns
    Both of my H&R mod 676's. Only have 1 long rifle cylinder
    between them, but both shoot great with the 22 mags. Very accurate with those long barrels on'em.

Berto
    Endeaver to Persevere

rayra
    (8/18/01 1:41:12 am)
    ezSupporter
    fav 22 handgun
    enjoyed shooting a friend's Ruger Single-Six, for years.

just spent Fri afternoon at the range with my (fairly new) Ruger 22/45-P4 (and my Garand ) - the 22/45s are fairly top-heavy / out of balance, but it's making a great training piece with my friends' children, and makes a good piece to start out with, before I hand someone my 1911 .45

rich

bigH
    (9/2/01 7:16:22 am)
    Ruger slabside,accurate ,reliable,quality

kdubaz
    (9/2/01 7:39:15 pm)
    Welcome, BigH -

Please join us in the many different forums here on TFF.

Yeah, the MK II Government model Target with 6 1/2'" bbl in stainless with red dot mounted on it is my target handgun at present.
    Keep below the ridgeline!

Mr Man
    (9/7/01 2:36:22 am)
    In all honesty I do not like buckmarks as a target pistol i find they are rather cheaply made and are not at all very accurate. For anything target related you cannot go past the Margolins!

Edited by: Mr Man at: 9/7/01 3:40:28 am

cal414
    V.I.P. Member
    (9/11/02 6:15:22 pm)
    My current fav. It does well with CCI stingers. Nice groups, good trigger, great ergonomics.

Edited by: cal414 at: 9/11/02 7:19:28 pm

boomatic
    V.I.P. Member
    (9/17/02 12:07:05 pm)
    Favorite...???? How 'bout favorite 5...No particular order

S&W model 18-4"...truly a masterpiece
    1950's LLama (mini-1911 10,000+ rounds, nary a hiccup)
    Flite King LT-100
    22-45 taper
    Buckmark Target

I ain't a purist...I just shoots 'em.

PS...Hey Tac, didn't you know that I...I mean Llama issued a safety recall on those baby 1911 autos??? Better send me yours real quick...I mean so's I can get it to them for you...yeah, that's it...yeah.

"A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise and independence to the mind."
    Thomas Jefferson

Edited by: boomatic at: 9/17/02 1:10:35 pm

Tac401
    Administrator
    (9/19/02 12:08:54 am)
    ezSupporter
    @boomatic!

By the way, I sold an S&W Mod 18 a year or two ago
    on GB, mint, wish I had one now, excellent beautiful
    revolver!

My baby 11 is in mint too, love that pistol!
    TFF VMBB Email Tac

JackRyann
    (9/19/02 1:10:17 am)
    Ruger! MKII, Stainless Single Six
    Kill it and Grill, yeah! I love animals. They're tasty!

boomatic
    V.I.P. Member
    (9/19/02 9:49:23 am)
    Tac...my 18 is one of those mythical ones...man dies...wife sells guns... lightly fired in box. First year production...shame it was fired, but for the $250 I paid for it last year, I won't complain!!!! It is so sweet it makes you want to brush your teeth!!!!

"A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise and independence to the mind."
    Thomas Jefferson

libertyman777
    (9/29/02 10:45:47 pm)
    I know I speak in ignorance since I have only recently purchased my first .22 pistol but I love it. It is a Browning Buckmark Field Target, 5.5 inch bull barrel and I put a BSA red dot in top. It has no problems holding 1" at 25 yards shoot off of sandbags and it loves the cheap ammo to boot! I was in the market for a Ruger but this was a used pistol (it cost me $250) and I figured that I could get my money back out of it if I didn't like it but I didn't have that problem. That reminds me I need to go shooting again.

warpig883
    *TFF Staff*
    (9/29/02 10:48:33 pm)
    ezSupporter
    Welcome libertyman777

You are right on the Buckmark, You made a wise choice when you bought it. I love mine.

djohns6
    (10/6/02 10:56:44 am)
    Picked up a S&W mod 17 (K-22) at a gun show years ago .
    6" barrel and target sights . Accurate as HELL !

Zigzag2
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (10/6/02 11:03:58 am)
    Hello djohns6, and welcome. I enjoy shooting the S&W mdl.41 with the 5 1/2 " barrel and the High Standard "Victor".
    In this age where truth is fleeting and mass manipulation is common, the ability to detect when something doesn't make sense is a valuable one.
  2. hankh

hankh New Member

My favourite is a Colt Pre-Woodsman, made in 1920.
  3. yoric

yoric Former Guest

Only have two. An old Colt .22 unit on an alloy 1911 frame, and a Beretta Bobcat. The latter has the GunsNStuff 1/2" longer barrel, Taurus PT22 mag fitted to it, and better sights added. The safety lever has been enlongated, making it feasible to carry it cocked and locked.
  4. denfoote

denfoote New Member

Ruger, Ruger, Ruger, and Ruger.
    I have four.
    Two MK-IIs and two 22/45s.
  5. yoric

yoric Former Guest

Man, I see brand New Buckmarks for less than $250! Sheesh. this was some special model, or came with an optical sight, 10 spare mags, or something? $175 is more like right for a used one.
  6. Crpdeth

Crpdeth Active Member

Talking to a guy who posted twice...Back in '02?

Crpdeth
  7. yoric

yoric Former Guest

no, talking to anyone who reads this forum, and might consider such a price to be typical.
  8. Crpdeth

Crpdeth Active Member

Typical for today?

His piece went for the price he paid in used VG condition back in '02, used EXC was 275.00+

Crpdeth
  9. AGB

AGB New Member

Any Colt Woodsman style. Any model, any year. Love this gun.
  10. There're many good ones out there these days, ranging from Ruger to S&W to Browning to Taurus. The .22 rimfire, either in automatic or revolver configuration, remains eternally popular. My own favorites:

Automatic: Ruger 22/45 with bull barrel. Most accurate handgun I've ever owned or shot. I also own a Beretta 21A for use as a carry arm when I simply can't hide something any larger. It's not much use past about 20 feet, but it will spit out 8 rounds in the blink of an eye.

Revolver: I just bought a Taurus 94, 9 shot, snub-nosed revolver. So far at least, I'm very happy with it. I bought this one primarily to have a .22 to practice with that was roughly the same configuration as the S&W 637 .38 that I often carry. Ammo for the .22 is a whale of a lot cheaper than .38 centerfire ammo, especially when you're one like me who tends to shoot up 500 rounds in a single day at the range.

NOTE TO SMITH & WESSON: Bring back the old Model 63 "Kit" gun! Best .22 revolver ever made!
  11. AGB

AGB New Member

I also have a Taurus in 22lr, it is an older model, donĀ“t know the model, but it does shoots great. It has the same frame of the 38 spl, but shoots only 6. Great to use, very accurate. But I still prefer to use the woodsman. Got a Ruger Mk2 target, but did not used it yet, still waiting for the legal papers.
  12. ngzcaz

ngzcaz New Member

Here's one not many will recognize... a Bersa
    Model 23. Its the same size as my Kahr 9mm and
    much more accurate. Shot perfect scores on
    police qualification course several times.

ngzcaz :)
  13. Tony Mig

Tony Mig New Member

6" S&W 617 with the 6 shot cylinder. I replaced the rubber grip for a Houge exotic wood conversion grip, and it's not only the most accurate rimfire handgun I've ever had, but it looks good too....... ;)
  14. Voyager Al

Voyager Al New Member

Ruger MkII Competition Target slabsided. With a red-dot scope. Makes ME a good inexperienced shot.Traded a remote start, installed, plus a full detail for it. :) That got me hooked on 22's. Found a Marlin & Glenfield Mod.60 at a gunshow for 100 with a scope. Old Stock, never fired.Gun dealers display. After cleaning it, and spending an hour on sighting the scope in, its real accurate.
  15. stetson

stetson New Member

An old Ruger mark one.
  16. usamark

usamark New Member

Stoeger Luger in 22lr. Shoots great and the mags can be loaded with the Ruger magloader.
    [​IMG]
    Last edited: Feb 10, 2006
  17. scudrunner

scudrunner New Member

I have a Ruger MkII that is just great! Bought it back in 1986 while in flight school. Its NP to hit a pop can at 100 yards once you see where its aim point is! Great little bullet launcher!! :cool:
  18. wolfgang2000

wolfgang2000 New Member

The Ruger mkI 6" semi auto. I bought mine in the PX for $45.00 in 1975. I could bing those artic hares at 45 yards. After thousands of rounds it is still going strong. :D
  19. Pomy11

Pomy11 New Member

Favorite 22 Handgun, without question, Sig Hammerli Trailside, have the 6" and 4.5" Target models and am looking for another new one, (Sig ceased production) in case I wear them out. Excellent shooters, any amo, do not jam, accurate, maintenance is a snap.

Great guns, no longer made.
  20. rangerruck

rangerruck New Member

the ruger, the beretta neos, and the s&w 22a, because fo their ease of use, and takedown(not the ruger on this one) allthough im starting to get a hankering for a taurus tracker revolver which i think holds 8 or 9 rounds in a revolver!