What are your thoughts about compensators?

Discussion in 'The 1911 Forum' started by RYANINMICHIGAN, Oct 27, 2012.

1. RYANINMICHIGAN

RYANINMICHIGAN New Member

I kind of want to put one on. Strictly for looks. Anyone use them?
  2. Maine04657

Maine04657 New Member

Yes I have several firearms with them. Now for a 22 not a lot of use there. On a Barret it makes a massive difference. Even on a 308 a good brake can remove allot of recoil. What are you wanting one for and what caliber is it?
  3. RYANINMICHIGAN

RYANINMICHIGAN New Member

.45, recoil is not a problem it's just for looks but I also wondered how much of a difference it does make. Can't be much
  4. Maine04657

Maine04657 New Member

Well depends on what your shooting almost every person I know running open class has one on there .45 and it makes a huge difference. It keeps the down and rounds on target when your going BO. Now this is not really something for carry or the occasional shooter but they do work and are a great benefit when used in the proper arena.
  5. Helix_FR

Helix_FR Active Member

They do work but only specific designs do. Some are just for looks. Others that work also need specific power factors to work properly. Some of the open guns I work on use comps and shoot 9mm major. A standard 9mm would not properly cycle the action bc the comp removes so much energy. Also the slides have to be lightened and recoil springs reduced to 8lbs.
  6. crockett007

crockett007 New Member

Strictly speaking, I have comps some of my competition pistols (IPSC). When shooting major power factor loads, a compensator does help by recovering faster for a follow up shot(s). Double taps are improved etc.

Limited class does not allow a compensated pistol. Unlimited "race guns" always have them.

For practical use, they are not necessary. If you want to dress up your piece with one,hey...more power to ya brother, it's a free country.

Some things to consider:

1. Stock holsters will no longer fit your pistol.
    2. Dis assembly is now more of a chore. You loose the ability to field check the chamber for a loaded round.
    3. Noise is amplified
    4. The bushing type are not functional at all. You must vent into the barrel for recoil control. Your pistol is now no longer stock.
    5. Extra length equals extra weight and changes the balance and feel of the pistol. You will now be muzzle heavy.
    6. If you leave the front sight on the slide, you now have a reduced sight radius.
    7. Resale value is affected. If you decide to sell or trade, you have to find somebody that wnts a comped used pistol.:bleh:
  7. 1911junkee

1911junkee New Member

I put one on my 1911SR, then took it right straight back off. It was the bushing type, looked like hell.

I wound up putting a 6 inch barrel on it, I have a S/A Longlide and like the extra length.

[​IMG]
  8. ka64

ka64 Well-Known Member

Only problem is, under the law the BATFE ha the right to show up at your house and enter it without a warrant to check your federally registered Supressor.
    No one's entering my house unless invited or has a warrent!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  9. Shooter45

Shooter45 *Administrator* Staff Member

Totally different animal. A compensator is NOT a noise suppressor.
  10. ka64

ka64 Well-Known Member

LOL Toyally misread that one.

Too much election stuff on my mind.

Comps - meh, to each his own.