what blocks RFID ?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by JohnHenry, Nov 18, 2011.

1. JohnHenry

JohnHenry Well-Known Member

I been hearing/seeing "stuff" about RFID and the ability to read the chips in
    your credit cards, passports, etc. without any contact.

Since I just bought a new ( and overly expensive ) wallet for the wifes Chrismas present .... Yes, I said Christmas, not Winter Holiday or any other PC B.S. title .

So, my question is "What Blocks RFID ?" .... is there something I can place inside the new wallet to block the scanning ?
  2. HunterAlpha1

HunterAlpha1 Former Guest

a magnet i would think, but unfortunately it would also effect your credit cards :D
  3. RunningOnMT

RunningOnMT New Member

I saw something on TV about wrapping your cards in tinfoil.
  4. geds

geds New Member

I've seen lead-lined cases (wallets) advertised to do that. Who wants to sit on a hunk of lead tho?
  5. wsas7816

wsas7816 New Member

In California we have a system called FasTrac which is an RFID box that you put in the windshield of your car allowing you to pay bridge and road tolls electronically. There are times when you need to cover up the RFID box so you are not charged (i.e. car pool discount) and for this you are given a "coated zip-loc bag". I am unsure of the coating but my guess is that it's the same stuff that you might find covering electronics and computer boards. It is effective, and light weight (obviously). I hope this helps.
  6. wsas7816

wsas7816 New Member

I just found the reference with FasTrack and they say the bags are Mylar and I believe they are lined, likely with metal. I would recommend more research but several other internet sources agree that Mylar will likely block all of the RFID.
    Last edited: Nov 18, 2011
  7. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

ok RFID work by building up a energy charge and rele4asing that charge as a radio signal that low powered and low range ( mostly) a faraday cage or mesh of wire to intercept the energy would work if you get it in the mesh

think of a stealth fighter and radar .. very similar the angles do most of it but theres also a mesh under the skin that takes the radar energy and bleeds it away so it dont bounce back to the sender ..
  8. joncutt87

joncutt87 Active Member

Aluminum foil should work
  9. armedandsafe

armedandsafe Guest

Any conductive metal container works. Lining the inside of the wallet with foil will work, if the edges overlap. They sell snap open cases which are just a bit smaller than a cigarette case just for the purpose of carrying credit cards and such. There are metal cases for passports, also. Google "case rfid proof" for 3,090,000 hits.

Pops
  10. raven818

raven818 Well-Known Member Supporting Member

They make a super light mesh metal card holder just for the purpose of blocking scanners. And other types.
    You can get a feel for what your looking for, and prices here:

http://tinyurl.com/89ejf6p
  11. Bobitis

Bobitis Guest

Whatcha got with a chip in it?:confused:

I've heard that a few well placed smacks with a hammer will fix the issue.:p
  12. armedandsafe

armedandsafe Guest

Credit cards, debit cards, driver's license, passports, club ID cards, work ID cards, hotel door keys, work door keys, the dog's left ear.

Pops
  13. holyjake79

holyjake79 New Member

How about the Aluma wallet that I have seen advertised on TV? They look like they would work.
  14. JohnHenry

JohnHenry Well-Known Member

Thanks folks ! I do appreciate your comments .... I'm going to try the foil inside the new ( overly expensive ) wallet .
  15. raven818

raven818 Well-Known Member Supporting Member

It's also a good idea to keep an eye on anybody that you hand your cards to. Pocket scanners have been in-play for a long time. They scan your card going to or from the register. If possible, keep the card in view.

I had a card number stolen, and the person who stole it donated .15 cents to the Red Cross while on-line. Security for the issuer called me to ask if I had done it..No..they cancelled it immediately and sent me a new one.

The reason for the 15 cent charge was to see if the card was any good. Citii was on top of it, thankfully.