1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

What Caliber is it?

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by Dale Paul, Jan 4, 2012.

1. Dale Paul

Dale Paul New Member

I brought back from Turkey a matched pair of cap and ball dueling pistols. They are not antiques and they are certainly not toys. I've measured the ID of the barrel to be 9.25mm/.364". Would this be 9mm caliber or 45 caliber? I'm also interested in test firing them. Any suggestions?
  2. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

That would be 36 caliber. A common cap-n-ball caliber size.

You want to shoot 'em, you need 35 caliber round balls http://www.speer-bullets.com/products/components/lead_round_balls.aspx patches, 3F black powder (or Pyrodex P) and caps to fit the nipples. Probably #10, but might be #11. Oh, and a powder measure.

A good starting load would be 20 grains of powder. Pour the powder down the barrel, then center a lubricated patch over the muzzle (I always just put the patch in my mouth and slobbered on it - a "spit patch", but there are commercial lubes out there), center a ball in the patch and using a short starter to get it going, and then the ramrod, push the ball tight against the powder. Cock it, put a cap on the nipple and pull the trigger.
  3. Hawg

Hawg Active Member

What Alpo said.