What caliber is your BUG?

Discussion in 'The 1911 Forum' started by mesinge2, Mar 4, 2010.

1. mesinge2

mesinge2 Member

I thought this might be an interesting thread topic.

If you carry a Back-up-gun (BUG), is it the same caliber as your primary gun?

I regulatly carry either a 1911 or my S&W m19-4 in 357.

These are my two carry set-ups:
    The 1911s

View attachment 34695

and revolvers:
    19-4 with a 38 SPL model 36

View attachment 34732

I carry a 6 shot Speed loader for the revolvers with 38 SPL ammo, while this loader will not work with the model 36 the ammo will, so if I had to reload the 36 I would just drop the ammo in my hand. Although If I expended the m19-4, or was disarmed of it, and emptied 36 and had to reload it, I am in some serious trouble.

And, I carry one spare 8 round government magazine for the 1911 that will fit in either of the Colts, and just stick out of the defender a little
    Last edited: Sep 29, 2010
  2. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

that makes sense to carry two weapons with interchangeable ammo. that way if one becomes inoperable in an extended incidence you can use the ammo in the other one, thereby only losing the firearm and not half your ammo as well;)
  3. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    I carry a 1911A clone (Norinco). My bug is either an Off Duty .38, or a NAA .22 Mag. Mostly it's the .38.

Attached Files:

• 008.jpg
      008.jpg
      File size:
      85 KB
      Views:
    Last edited: Mar 4, 2010
  4. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

That NAA revolver you have is neeet as hell miles, very very small yet will damn sure get the point accross, that is almost a BUG to a BUG. A carryin in your underwear kinda gun;)
  5. mesinge2

mesinge2 Member

Carver, how do you like that NAA .22 Mag?

I was thinking of getting one, the black widow or mag-pug.

BTW, nice grips on the Norinco.
    Last edited: Mar 4, 2010
  6. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    I like the little .22 Mag, just forget about the sights on it! Point it at what you want to shoot and fire it. I carried it all over D.C. back in Sept. Did all the museums with a friend that had never been before. No one ever knew I had it. Looked long and hard at the Black Widow, and came real close to buying it instead of the smaller gun, but then what I wanted was a gun to slip in my pocket. The magnum round really makes the difference. If I had the gun in only LR, I might not have bought it to start with.
  7. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

if its not totally stupid to ask

BUG ??

BOG i know ( bug out gun )

but BUG

sorry dum aussie here

cheers

jack
  8. mesinge2

mesinge2 Member

Sorry dude, it means Back-up-gun (BUG).
  9. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

arh ok , no carry here anyway , probably why its not used here
  10. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

I got a pocket sized beretta 21A in .22 LR i seem to pack it everywhere i go stoked with CCI stingers. I wouldnt hesitate to use it in a self defense situation 7 stingers to ones chest would certainly do some harm and it too is one of those 'carryin in your underwear guns'
  11. bambihunter

bambihunter New Member

I carry a Kel-tec P3AT (.380 acp) all the time. When off work, I carry a Glock 29 (10mm auto) and and extra mag but still carry the Kel-tec. I carry the Kel-tec in a strong side front pocket holster I think there may be times where it would maybe be the primary weapon such as if someone pulled a knife or gun on me at close range and asked for my wallet. Since it looks like a wallet, there would be less suspicion drawing it than reaching in my waistband to get my G29.
    I hope I'll never need to know if my theory works...
  12. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

seems like a solid theory bambi, standard self defense training will teach you that if you are being held up and your life threatened the best time to 'act' would be when commanded to put your hands up or to hand over your wallet. in that particular instance the perp is expecting you to move and if you present a firearm, barrel first, instead of a wallet youd have a 2/10 of a second window before the baddie realizes its not a wallet. average locktime is 1/10 of a second so if you fire as soon as you present, theroetically the bullet will be halfway through his torso by the time he realizes you didnt hand him a wallet. and thats if everyone involved is un-intoxicated and fully alert. alcohol and various drugs will delay the 2/10 of a second human average reaction time...
  13. dons2346

dons2346 Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Beware the man who only carries one gun. HE PROBABLY KNOWS HOW TO USE IT!!!