What can I do to make a Mosin Nagant 91/30 more accurate?

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by J_S_GR, May 19, 2011.

1. J_S_GR

J_S_GR New Member

I'm getting really bad groups. My best being 1.4" at 100 yards. I know it's not me because I get sub-moa with my Savage 10 Precision and Rem 700. I do everything the same with how I shoot. So are there things I can do to maybe make it more accurate?
  2. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

J_S_GR shine a torch down the muzzle , are all the lands and grooves equal ? and junk in them you can spot ?

a crown job may help if they end rough as some do, or if theres marks from the projectiles or scarfing left in the barrel

next any pitting in the barrel ? this will effect accuracy if its tearing the rounds any

also are you shooting mil surp ammo ?

try 20 rounds of the good stuff to compare

also ( and not to say you missed stuff) but check the sights , some can get movement and this will drive you NUTZ! trying to sort , they can bounce a tad

thats all i can think of from this far away and not seeing whats happening

good luck eh ! mosins are generally decent rifles .
  3. zkovach

zkovach Active Member

I have turned mine into a tack driver.

1. Replace the trigger they are awful

2. Clean the bore with a good copper cleaner

3. Shoot reloads or if u don't reload try winchesters metric caliber. Wolf and surplus ammo is not accurate rounds

4. I have noticed on mine the more it heats up the accuracy truely suffers.
  4. LDBennett

LDBennett Well-Known Member

The accuracy will suffer if the bullet fit to the barrel is poor. These gun vary all over the place for bore size. You have to slug the barrel to determine what your barrel is. Some will shoot 308 bullets others need larger diameter bullets like 303 Enfield bullet (in fact most need the Enfield bullets!). The factory ammo you are using could be anything as there seems to be no standardization for this caliber because the guns vary so much.

These are crude utilitarian rifles made for the masses of Russia. They rarely give stellar performances even when scoped. You might have to lower your expectations.

LDBennett
  5. zkovach

zkovach Active Member

Ld bennet is correct he helped me accurize mine over 2 years ago. It's very possible to get it accurate however it will be at a cost to your wallet.
  6. Jim Hauff

Jim Hauff New Member

What's wrong with consistently shooting 1.4" (3 shot?) groups at 100 yards, with a 60+ year old military surplus rifle that has been refurbished at least once and cost ~100 bucks???????? There are many modern "hunting" rifles that will not shoot that consistently and cost 4 to 6xs as much.
  7. Double D

Double D Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Im right there with ya Jim. I have had brand new remington 30-06 rifles that wouldnt do that.
  8. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

Im with jim as well. 1.5 MOA is superb for a WW2 milsurp weapon...
  9. LDBennett

I missed the accuracy J_S_GR was getting. Actually 1.4 in. at 100 yds if it is a five shot group is pretty good. If it is a three shot group it is still OK. These are military surplus guns, most made nearly 75 years ago. Most have bore that are less than perfect. Few people realize the problem with the bullet diameters for this gun. That is what I jumped on.

LDBennett
  10. TheGunClinger

TheGunClinger Well-Known Member Supporting Member

I went to the range today with two nephews and 3 Mosins that I bought for $99.00 each. We shot at 100yds. We were on paper, but the groups were sure fugly. We have 4 spam cans of mil. surplus ammo to fire off so eventually we might get a tight group and if not, who cares. It's just a bunch of fun to shoot these old guns.
  11. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

It is.. my favorite part is stripping the rounds off the clips into the mag and ejecting fired cases with authority..
  12. Heretic

Heretic New Member

As a long time shooter of Mosin Nagants, I'm telling you 4 minutes is good for one of these. If you're shooting 1.4, I say don't change a thing.
  13. J_S_GR

J_S_GR New Member

Thanks for all the input guys. Sorry for a late reply, but I have to go to a friend's to post.
    I guess I didn't really think about the age. My Nagant was never issued and was made in '44, so I guess I raised my expectations. I've done everything except replace the trigger. I like original everything, and the trigger pull is smooth enough. I guess since getting 1/4" groups with the Savage I got it in my head I should get that with everything. I'm actually thinking about getting a PU scope just for the heck of it. Again, thanks, and sorry for the late reply.
  14. LDBennett

J_S_GR:

There are a couple of problems with mounting a scope on a Mosin-Nagant (MN). First is drilling and tapping the receiver as it is hardened. Next is the gun is rather crude and surfaces that appear to be parallel or at right angles to the bore are not and the mounting of the scope has to take that into account. Lastly the clone scopes are simple scopes. Most have the cross hairs in the first focal plane and when adjustments are made, the cross hairs move across the field of view. That leaves them off center when you view through the scope. This problem is worse than on most rifles because of the crudeness of the surfaces on the receiver that the scope mount fits against. The side mount helps in this regard because it can be adjusted in both elevation and windage in the mounts I have seen (??) before having to go to the internal scope adjustments.

If it is just a scope on the gun that you want and not a collectable sighting device use a modern scope and modern mount. If you just have to have an original or clone PU scope then have a professional MN gunsmith do the mounting so it gets done right. The hexagonal MN receivers and the over the barrel mount have this mounting problem the worst.

I went through this with my MN and got the off center cross hairs, sweated bullets while I drilled and tapped the receiver for fear of breaking the drill or tap in the hardened metal, and had focus problem with the first clone scope I bought. I would not do this again myself. I'd just pay the man to get it done right and use a modern scope rather than the clone or forget the scope altogether. I have way too much money in my cheapy MN because of that scope and mount and it bothers me every time I look through the scope. I learn from my mistakes!

LDBennettt
  15. zkovach

zkovach Active Member

My gunsmith mounted my scope mount and it works very well and have turned it into a good rifle for deer hunting