What can I do to make a Mosin Nagant 91/30 more accurate?

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by J_S_GR, May 19, 2011.

1. CHW2021

CHW2021 Member

Rather than spend the money on a scope, buy 2 more Mosins and pick the "best" of 3. This may not be the best solution, but it is the most fun.
  2. Popgunner

Popgunner New Member

I have a Finn that has a barrel that's at .3085" that shoots 308 bullets just fine.
    The rest of my Mosins need .310-.312" bullets to get good accuracy. When I say good I mean 2" at 100 yards. With the original sights I can't see moa much less shoot it with these rifles.
    The rifles started out at a true .308 barrel but in 1930 the barrels were all changed in the Russian rifles to .310". light bullets stayed at .308" & had a hollow base added that kept accuracy decent. The heavier bullets went to .310". Milsurp bullets that I've miked have been right at .309-.310" & give acceptable accuracy in some mosins.
    Some rifles have groove diameters as big as .316". If the bore is smooth & un-pitted you can shoot cast lead bullets & get pretty good accuracy in most of them. You have to watch out that bullet release is accomadated since the chambers were cut for .310" bullets & don't seem to errode as much as the throats. You can pinch the bullets into the case mouths & spike pressures if the bullets are too big for the chamber.
    One other thing to consider is that these rifles were all sighted in with the bayonets fixed as on the 91/30 or extended as on the model 44 carbine. This probably won't add anything to accuracy but it's nice when they all of a sudden shoot to point of aim without moving the sights.
    One trick I've used is to put some good heavy military rifle grease on the sear surfaces. Smoothes out the horrible triggers a little.
  3. coachwill

coachwill Forum Sponsor

Well the one we have was made in 1915 and it is a sweet 1"-2" group at 100 yards. Numbers match across the board and my dad bought it for $75 about 10 years ago. Can't ask for a better rifle and it is the one my oldest son prefers to shoot when we hunt or go to the range...gotta love it when a 15 year old kid loves to shoot a weapon that was made almost 100 years ago and laughs when it pounds the devil out of his shoulder.
  4. The Duke

The Duke New Member

Ive a '43 model, carbine...No way it will ever shoot accurately...A 7.62 cleaning brush will drop 1 1/2inches down the muzzle before it hits anything to stop it.:D

I have fun with it, even though its about as accurate as a morter round.:D Ammo is cheaper than fireworks and makes a bigger bang..

There is a gun show this weekend in Shreveport, maybe I can find a better one for $69.00+tax...;)
  5. reynolds357

reynolds357 Former Guest

You are getting better groups with it than it should shoot.
    You really expect it to shoot with a Savage 10 precision?
  6. reynolds357

reynolds357 Former Guest

So you are getting 1.4 minute without a scope?
  7. coachwill

coachwill Forum Sponsor

I think the older the Mosin/Nagant the better the quality of the weapon. Seems like the newer (anything built from about 41 up to 44) was just not as good but was simply thrown out the door to supply Ivan as they moved farther west into the Fatherland.
  8. Jim K

Jim K New Member

Wow! Getting under 1 1/2 inch groups out of a "made by the mile and cut off at both ends" military rifle is pretty close to miraculous. Not many Mausers or Springfields will do that without a lot of tinkering. As to those claims of half-minute and minute groups, I can only say double Wow!

Jim
  9. twoll86

twoll86 New Member

im new the MN but not to shooting but my MN will hit coke can @ 420 yards repeatedly using surplus ammo
  10. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

Welcome twoll !! similar results here too

got pic's of yours?
  11. twoll86

twoll86 New Member

not at the moment im in the middle of doing a ati stock with bent bolt conversion and scope
  12. aa1911

aa1911 Active Member

shot mostly wolf and surplus ammo thru mine but did get around to doing some handloads with some S&B brass. beating a dead horse here but 1.4" group is acceptable for these relics I think. They're just plain fun to shoot!

I have a 91/30 rifle I paid $70 for, cut the stock down to a 'sporter' and added a bipod; decent groups, haven't shot it in a while though, don't remember exact accuracy. Also got a 44 carbine with bayonette, not as accurate but still OK.

did manage to find some stripper clips at a gunshow too...

bought a 'sniper scope' bolt from Numrich but it was just a bent bolt, still won't work with a scope. I had aspirations to scope the 91/30 but think I will just leave it as is. Trigger is terrible but ya know... $70 and free carbine = 2 MN's, I can't complain!
  13. therewolf

therewolf New Member

IME, the Mosins I've shot are more accurate with

cool barrels, and name brand, boxer primed, reloadable ammo.

I'm currently saving all my used boxer rounds in the original boxes,

in the hopes of finding a good "MOA reload" eventually.

My 1925 Izzy "transition" (got the 91/30 front sights, stock, and

barrel bands at either 1930, or before postwar storage) has a god-awful,

loosey-goosey, long trigger pull, but my two M44s have two of the best

triggers I've ever shot, on anything.
  14. Naporter

Naporter New Member

I got a bull pup stock from cbrps, and it looks pretty good as you can see in the pic. It's the Cossack ES in white. A bit pricey, but I was able to mount a bushnell scope on it and it was getting decent accuracy for a rifle made in 1934, and that's with mil surp rounds.

Attached Files:

15. soundguy

soundguy Well-Known Member

i'd love to see more pics of that / more info

thanks
  16. RJay

RJay Well-Known Member

If your Mosin is not accurate, heck, just throw it away and buy another one:eek:
  17. Tyrsig

Tyrsig New Member

I know this may be an old Post, and I am an extremely new member, but... I do have allot of experience with the Mosin Nagant. Over the years I have used this platform for some really reliable custom builds for myself and my customers. Now what I am going to say will not be popular I am sure ( at least to the purest out there) But there are several things you can do to produce a really excellent shooter.

1. Polish the bolt in every nook an cranny and reapply grease. There are some really great tutorials on line to teach you how to do this.

2. Shorten the barrel. I have found that if the barrel is taken back to between 18 - 22 inches, your groupings will improve greatly.

3. Replace the stock and or bed it. This is one of the easiest things you can do to this rifle.

4. Replace that god awful trigger group. There are several ways to do this easiest way is to drop in a Timney trigger, this also gives you an easier to use safety. If you dont want to spend the additional 89.00 usd you can always attempt to turn the factory trigger into a two stage trigger using a washer and a spring. This is an easy process however you will need to inspect your firearm and do a little research on how to do it. I personally have done this on a few of my pieces , love it but I personally prefer using a new trigger system.

5. (optional) replace the rear sight with an optic. someone in a previous post mentioned the rear sights may drift and this is true, for the most part the Mosins on the market today are refurbished World War Two rifles, they have seen allot of use and wear and then sat around for the last 40+ years. There are several ways to mount a optic to the rifle. the Most common and successful is the Rock Solid Mount. Me personally I turn my bolt into a Bent Bolt and tap out a spot for mounts.

Now allot of people will call you crazy for taking a surplus $150.00 rifle and putting this much money into it, and thats fine we all have our opinions. But I will tell you this my current project has turned that surplus rifle into a $950.00 nail driver. And if you look at the big picture 880 rds at 164.00 usd add that up over the lifetime of the rifle and it quickly becomes the cheapest shooter you will own despite almost dropping a grand into it. Also don't feel guilty about modernizing this old rifle, this was one of the most produced rifles in the world, still in use in Finland today, that there is no risk of you destroying a truly rare rifle. If you do happen to get a hold of one that was made prior to 1935 or a sniper version made prior to 1943 then do not modify it. Other than that...go to town, your little project wont put a dent in the Mosin Nagant arsenal.
  18. kingcuke

kingcuke Member

There You Go!