What die's are the best? In your opinion..

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by jboo37, Apr 2, 2011.

1. jboo37

jboo37 New Member

Hi guy's, I have not set up my LNL AP yet but from what I have been reading all my Lee die's will not work in the LNL. I am not going to order anything until I set it up and give it a try, but just in case I thought I would ask you guy's. I have never had any trouble with my Lee die's, but if they are not long enough I guess I don't have a choice. Looking forward to the replies...:cool:
  2. woolleyworm

woolleyworm Moderator

The lee dies should be just fine in the LNL. As far as preference, I have loaded more ammo on RCBS and Dillon dies. Dillon die sets do not come with an expander, since the expander is part of a 550, 650 or 1050 conversion kit. RCBS has always been great quality too. I have loaded with almost every die out there and they all work. They all have features that are good/not so good. I like the ease of cleaning the Dillon dies. Hornady makes a great seating die with a floating insert. Lyman makes the best expander for lead bullets, I use their "M" die for my .32 loads.

Hope that helps,

Woolley
  3. 312shooter

312shooter Active Member

Lee dies are not welll suited for the LNL AP, the do not have enough threads on the body to pass through the quick change bushings and still use the locknut correctly. Maybe some rigging can be done, RCBS dies also the same and barely catch a thread for the locknut.

I have found that Lyman dies work well but have gone to Hornady dies exclusively. Their design was of course, to get you buying into their products, it worked on me, and I could not be any happier with the LNL AP, what a machine!
  4. jboo37

jboo37 New Member

Thanks for the replies. I think I may have lucked out, I think I have it set with the Lee die's but when I went to pick up the primers in the tube my luck ran out. They sent me two large primer pick up tubes. Everything seems to work, but I'll have to wait a week to see if the finished product is good. If the Lee die's work, they are on the last thread. Thanks again for the posts...

Attached Files:

5. TheGunClinger

TheGunClinger Active Member Supporting Member

Welcome to the TFF family jboo! I think you will be happy with your machine no matter what brand dies you use. It's all about learning new stuff and you have come to the right place to learn.
    A couple of tips... I see a bunch of volitile stuff on your shelves that you might want to store elsewhere just in case a primer goes off which is possible. Also that ground fault outlet hanging there might need some re-locating .;):D
  6. 312shooter

312shooter Active Member

Agreed, I'd do an assement of what goes on during reloading, an aluminum primer tube and that open electrical circuit is an alarming thought to me. Maybe rethink your bench before starting.....:eek:
  7. zb338

zb338 New Member

Everyone has an opinion and every donkey has a tail.
    I think the Redding dies are the best made.

Zeke
  8. howlnmad

howlnmad Well-Known Member