What do I look for in buying a pistol?

Discussion in 'The 1911 Forum' started by Finaddict, Sep 27, 2006.

1. Finaddict

Finaddict New Member

I was thinking of buying a Kimber TLE II. I was in a local gun shop and all they had was some Colts and a Rock Island 1911 that would be the same size as the TLE II. Anyway, I picked up the Colt and it felt really good and well balanced. The problem I had was that my index finger just did reach over the trigger. What I mean is that it did seem I had a good pull on it but my finger didn't make the first joint to the front of the trigger. It seems the trigger was right between the tip and the first joint of my index finger. I don't know enough about pistols to determine was is supposed to be a proper fit for your hand. So, that's why I came here to ask the experts. When choosing a gun what do I look for in terms of fit? I want to make sure before I dump $800 or $900 in a firearm.

Thanks for the help,
    Steve
  2. Shooter45

Shooter45 *Administrator* Staff Member

That is exactly where your finger should contact the trigger.

FYI, you can make a 1911 fit your hand by changing triggerand/or, grips, and/or mainspring housing to make the pistol fit your hand better.
  3. Finaddict

Finaddict New Member

Thanks for the info Shooter! I sure like that 1911. I'm think I'm gonna try one out. ;)

Thanks again,
    Steve
  4. southernshooter

southernshooter New Member

What ever fits you hand and caliber preferences
  5. berto64

berto64 Active Member

Berto the smartass says; when choosing a pistol one should look for a hole in the long end and a handle on the other end!

Sorry, I just couldn't resist!

You can't go wrong with a steel 1911A1!
  6. Jay

Jay New Member

Just holding the pistol, it should feel comfortable/natural in your hand. When you raise the pistol, (as if you were going to shoot it) you should not have to make any large angular adjustments with your hand(s) to bring the sights on target. You should be able to reach all the "controls" without re-arranging the pistol in your hand(s).

If the pistol is not comfortable for you to hold, you won't shoot it enough to become proficient with it.

Just my 2 cents worth.... keep the change ;)
  7. care-less

care-less New Member

No offense meant; but based on your experience level, the 1911 is not the pistol to be looking at. The 1911 while quite excellent is not a beginners pistol. It requires a high level of commitment to manage it properly. It is a gun for the more advanced shooter. That doesn't mean that a new shooter can't master it, its just not the ideal platform for a beginner to learn on. Get a couple of good 22's; a revolver and an auto; do a lot of shooting! then move up to a 38 revolver and shoot a lot more! When you no longer have to ask the question, you will have your answer. Good Luck.
  8. southernshooter

southernshooter New Member

I do carry the same beileves as you Care but he wanted a .45 so thats why we recomended that