What do y'all read?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by 45nut, Feb 26, 2009.

1. 45nut

45nut Active Member

Aside from gun and reloading manuals? What do you read for relaxation?

I am currently on a William Faulkner jag. I love Roderick Haig-Brown, John Gierach, Robert Traver, Nick Lyons, Louis Lamour, Stephen Hunter (Bob the Nailer :D), Dean Koontz, Patricia Cornwell, Tony Hillerman, John Sandford, Terry C. Johnston, William W. Johnstone and The Stand & The Green Mile by Stephen King, W E B Griffin, Shelby Foote and Stephen E Ambrose.

If any of you have not read Stephen E. Ambrose's "Undaunted Courage: Meriwether Lewis, Thomas Jefferson, and the Opening of The American West", you have missed a great book.

Also, what is your favorite book. One that you re-read once a year. I re-read all of my Lamour paperbacks and love the warm feeling I get from knowing the characters so well. I read Roderick Haig-Brown's "A River Never Sleeps" every winter or spring.

A little Roderick Haig-Brown "Nothing in nature, so long as it is honestly observed and honestly described, can harm the mind of a child. Almost all the ills of the human race may be traced to the fact that it has strayed too far from nature and knows too little of the natural order of things . . . let them read and understand the ways of animals and birds, of water and wind and earth; for these things are pure and true and unspoiled." --Roderick Haig-Brown

What say you?? It's shocking to see a gun nut redneck with such a diverse book shelf. :eek: :eek: :D
  2. My reading tends to be so varied that it is hard to give a definitive answer. For relaxation, I'm particularly fond of science fiction and military high tech stuff. Currently, I'm rereading a series by David Weber, the best scifi writer out there these days IMHO. I read everything Tom Clancy publishes, along with a great deal of straight history, mostly Roman, Civil War, and the World Wars.
  3. 1shot1k

1shot1k Former Guest

:cool::cool::cool:

I also try to read Steven KIng when out..and pick up a new paperback once month.not best sellers though..like to stick with mystery/detective..

as mentioned in earlier post..have complete works set of "Earle Stanley Gardner" and re read most of those yearly......

favorite book would be hard...but will mention short list I believe every Boy should read or be offered to read ...

Robinson Corusoe
    The Thin Red LIne
    (anything from H.G. Wells )
    "To LIght A fire ".......man.....memories...
    Tom Sawyer/Huck Fin and any Mark Twain
    :cool:
  4. TranterUK

TranterUK Guest

HG Wells, 1shot1k. Great choice and one of my favourites.

Many who have not read the original 'War of the Worlds' miss the alien ships being taken on by horse artillery!

I actually dont read much because I am doing a lot more writing these days, and being small of brain would find what I read creeping into what I write, in style if not plot!
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 26, 2009
  5. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    I love Louis Lamour, but will usually read anything! I also like science fiction, military history, American history, and just about anything I can find on the Native Americans. I am also read my Bible.
    Last edited: Feb 26, 2009
  6. Marlin

Marlin *TFF Admin Staff Chief Counselor*

I tend to read most all of the good books that I receive through the Conservative Book Club.

I am now in Ann Colter's GUILTY and starting Mike Evan's book on Carter. Recently finished Clarence Thomas' biography and the newer autobiography.
  7. 1shot1k

1shot1k Former Guest

:p:p:p:cool:

10-4 Tranter...and not just butterin u up..but should have also mentioned my fondness of reading English history...Henry VIII as example....also anything and everything old and new on "Ripper"....

always believed was attempts to stop a birth....will never know.....

and my god...Sherlock Holmes..how could I have forgotten......:p:p:cool:
  8. TranterUK

TranterUK Guest

1shot1k, Sherlock Holmes, yes, excellent choice again. As it happens in the 80s I made a lot of long flights and a Sherlock Holmes book was my constant companion.
  9. I once actually walked by the site of 221 Baker Street in London, or at least where that address would be had it really existed. :D I must agree with you, Sherlock Holmes is classic. I read and enjoyed all of them when I was a kid. I even use his reasoning process as an example in my logic classes, pointing out that Holmes didn't really use deductive logic, but rather abductive logic to solve his crimes. It's elementary, my dear Tranter. ;)
  10. Tom Militano

Tom Militano New Member

I read about everything. I just like to read. Not much of a science fiction fan, but I'll read it if there isn't anything else around.
  11. 45nut

45nut Active Member

OOPS! How could I forget Tom Clancy? :eek: I also read and still have all of "The Hardy Boys" from my childhood.

Pistol,

I have some Weber. What series are you reading? I really like John Sandford's "Prey" series with Lucas Davenport. That's my kind of LEO.
    Last edited: Feb 26, 2009
  12. TranterUK

TranterUK Guest

One thing that sticks in my mind, and I couldn't tell you from what story, but Holmes had a very low opinion of the military.

I have passed 221b many many times. The actual address in now a bank or similar. There is a small Holmes museum, supposed to be his apartment about 25 yards up the street. I sometimes see a fake policeman in Victorian uniform outside. Also theres a shop of memorabilia on the opposite side of Baker Street.

Apparently he still gets a lot of mail!! Idiots, dont they know he's long dead. :eek:
  13. mrkirker

mrkirker New Member

I finished a bio on Sam Houston a couple of weeks ago, and am now 'wading' through Rememberances of Things Past, seven to ten pages at a time, LOL! Agreed, Undaunted Courage is a classic. Grant's Memoirs, is the 'yearly read'.
  14. Currently I'm rereading his "March Upcountry" series, which he wrote in collaboration with John Ringo. The Honor Harrington books are my favorites though. ;)
  15. RunningOnMT

RunningOnMT New Member

Right now I'm just getting into "The Politically Incorrect Guide to the Civil War" by H.W, Crocker III. To be followed by "The Politically Incorrect Guide to The South (and Why It Will Rise Again)" by Clint Johnson and "The Politically Incorrect Guide to the Constitution" by Kevin R.C.
    Gutzman. See a pattern here?:D
  16. Charlie the sniper

Charlie the sniper New Member

England, thats the USN aircraft carrier near europ
    Come on guys, be honest, your not reading those books at all, like me you only read the post on this forum................and sometimes they have pictures;). Talking of pictures, any more photo's of Brazilian hot spots Mr T:D
  17. fmacsin1

fmacsin1 New Member

I enjoy authors: Pat Conroy, Thoreau, Emerson, Dan Brown, Shakespeare, Faulkner, Clancy, Tolkien, Steinbeck, Hemingway. . . This isn't a fair question! I was a HS English teacher; I'll stop!
  18. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

I try to read from the Bible as often as i can, at least to remind myself where we rank in the scheme of things... like we could forget... ;) I also enjoy reading repair manuals and schematics...
  19. Marlin

Marlin *TFF Admin Staff Chief Counselor*

I wanted to add that I am working me way through the book that Tranter sent me on one of my favorite firearm subjects, SIXGUNS by Keith.

I love revolvers and this, I feel, is the definitive work on the subject !!!!!

Again, thanks for sending it from the bottom of my heart, Tranter. :) :)
  20. UncleFudd

UncleFudd Member

W E B Griffin I am just now reading his "presidential agent series" also Lamour over and over Bernard Cornwell ( his Sharpe series) and then everyone I can get my hands on as often as I can find a minute to relax.
    Even though I do not instruct much now, I read a lot of actual self defense novels by Jeff Cooper,Ayoob and others. Excellent info from guys who have been there and done it.
    It is very interesting to see how diversified we (toothless, rednecks) are and so funny to see how well educated. Who would have thunk it of gun owners.
    Say it aint so.

UF