What do you all think about Hornady brass?

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by Indy Bob, Jun 4, 2012.

1. Indy Bob

Indy Bob New Member

I am due to retire some old Winchester 22.250 brass and was thinking of getting Hornady. I would rather go with Lapua but this old retired guy cannot afford that step.
    Please let me know what you think about Hornady .........OR ..... a medium priced alternative.
    PS. Once fire-formed, I only neck size.
    Thanks,
    Indy Bob
  2. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

I have collected, from an indoor range, approximately 250 rounds of once-fired (I know it was once-fired, 'cause I sold the guy the ammo) Hornady 44/40 brass.

Approximately half of it split (not mouth splits - body splits) when I sized it. Maybe one third of the ones I loaded split upon firing. I threw the rest of it in my scrap brass bucket, and any that I had loaded I marked to take to SASS matches where they were "lost brass" matches.

In my opinion, Hornady brass sucks.
  3. 312shooter

312shooter Active Member

I have broke a few decapping pins on the Hornady TAP brass due to flash holes punched waaaay of center. On the other hand Hornady Match brass is extremely high quality brass.
  4. myfriendis410

myfriendis410 New Member

I would try to find some Federal. It's the best of the "commercial" stuff. Failing that; Remington.
  5. 312shooter

312shooter Active Member

Yikes! I've seen more case head seperations and loose primer pockets after 2 firings from Federal faar more than any other, of course thats IMHO, YMMV...
    Last edited: Jun 4, 2012
  6. myfriendis410

myfriendis410 New Member

I have experience with Federal in the -06 and 7mm rem mag. along with some older .243 brass; I suppose the quality could have fallen off lately. We got some .300 wsm brass from ww that had to be sent back 'cause the flash holes were so off center there was a fear of busting a decapping pin. Good to know about the Federal.
  7. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

It's too bad that Starline doesn't make rifle brass, that would be my first recommendation.

I suggest that you get some Remington brass, it will do the job and is affordable.
  8. 76Highboy

76Highboy Well-Known Member Supporting Member

I have a friend that was using the hornady brass and that is exactly what he told me. He was shooting 300 winmag.
  9. howlnmad

howlnmad Well-Known Member

Only Hornady brass I have is some 303. It seems to be okay but it's only on it's 3rd reload and I don't load them hot. When I buy new rifle brass, I like to stick with Remington.
  10. Indy Bob

Indy Bob New Member

Wow Guys.....
    I am glad I posted that question. My thanks to ALL of you for your input!!!
    Indy Bob.:)
    Last edited: Jun 4, 2012
  11. 76Highboy

76Highboy Well-Known Member Supporting Member

I think Hornady does alot right, but I stick with the Remington brass.
  12. soundguy

soundguy Well-Known Member

i just went thru decapping and resizing some 30-30 brass last night given to me by a friend. mixed headstamps.. rem, win, hornady, old old win as well. i feel they were fired in 2-3 different rifles. the hornady looked to be once fired.. and whatever it was fired in had a huge worn out chamber as i could not chamber half the spents in my savage BA 340 30-30 to deactivate a few that had primers. ( my marlin 336 was able to swallow them enogh to pop the primers.. but it was tight.

after fl resize and decap and trim job.. they al chambered fine.. but them hornady were the hardest to fl resize i ever seen.

I use the hornady spray lube too.. etc.
  13. sliclee

sliclee New Member

You should only buy brass from a company that manufacturers it themselves,got it. Lee
  14. Bindernut

Bindernut Well-Known Member

The only Hornady brass I've got on hand is from some factory .204 ammo that I've been running through my Howa.
    So far I'm only on the 3rd loading in em and they're holding up but I've heard other local shooters say that it doesn't last as long as Win or Rem. Neck splits, loose primer pockets, etc a lot faster than Win or Rem.

I've got some Norma brass for my 6.5x55 but most of my rifle brass is Win and Rem. Those three have treated me really well.
    Federal...nope. I'll use it if it's range pickup stuff but I won't willingly buy Fed brass.
  15. soundguy

soundguy Well-Known Member

if I buy new brass.. it's win.. if I'm buying surplus stuff like at shows.. if the price is extremely right and the bulk of the cases look good.. I'll generally bit. I go thru them and toss anything questionable before processingthem.. then after deprimd and resize, anything else questionable gets tossed. for that reason, I like to purchase with a 75% keep rate in mind, and thus look at price accordingly. so far I've been lucky.. the brass I've bought at shows has been give-away cheap. like 1$ for 50 cartridges.. etc.. etc at that price.. i can afford to lose 25% to bad out of the bag.. and another 25% after a laod or two from age.. that still leaves me paying pennies a cartridge and getting 1-2 loads out of some and usually 1-2 more out of the rest. by then.. it's more than paid for itself probably a couple times over.. i just don't buy expensive used brass unless it's in a super hard to find caliber that I can't get at the usual online sources.
  16. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

I use the hornady match brass. It is top notch stuff IMO.
  17. BobMcG

BobMcG Active Member Supporting Member

The only Hornady brass I reload is .405Win and it's been just fine. A lot of it being loaded 4 & 5 times with full power loads.
    Last edited: Jun 9, 2012