What do you all think about this?

Discussion in 'The Fire For Effect and Totally Politically Incorr' started by RunningOnMT, Jul 6, 2012.

1. RunningOnMT

RunningOnMT New Member

I just purchased a gun from a well known online dealer, who shall remain nameless. When I went to pay there was a notice that the advertised price would be 3% higher if paid by credit card, an option I wish I'd taken.

The other option was to pay by electronic check. I submitted the order on 6/30 with an electronic check. I waited a couple days then checked the status of my order and this is what it shows:

06/30/2012 Pending
    07/02/2012 E-Check Payment Received Your electronic check payment has been submitted.

Please allow 6 business days for your payment to clear our account. Normally, they will clear your bank account sooner, but it takes 6 business days to clear and be funded to our account. We will then email you that your order is moving to the next status.

OK, so they received the payment on 07/02 so 6 work days from then is 06/11, then they will start to process my order. I estimate it will be a full 2 weeks from the day I submitted my order and made payment, before I'll see the piece.

I am an extremely impatient person about things like this, once I've paid for something. I admit that when I want something, I want it now. Maybe my mom didn't paddle me hard enough when I threw a hissy fit.

This is what I don't understand. What's this nonsense about clearing their account. Once they have received the electronic check from my bank they should process the order. This would be the same as going physically to their store to buy a gun, writing a check, then being told "OK come back in 6 days after our bank posts the payment to our account. This is ridiculous and poor customer service in my opinion. What do you all think, am I being unreasonable?
  2. raven818

raven818 Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Can't speak for them, but an electronic transfer of funds from a bank, is the same as cash.
    Consider what Murphy said in this instance..any thing that can go wrong, will go wrong.
  3. Millwright

Millwright Well-Known Member

Can't say it any better than Raven ! You paid cash and any BS re "their accounts" doesn't wash ! in the electronic age every business knows their "receivables" up to the minute ! You, OTOH, just gave some strangers unrestricted access to your bank account(s) ! >MW
  4. 76Highboy

76Highboy Well-Known Member Supporting Member

From how I understand an electronic check, the buyer can retrieve the check at any point. So just because they got the e-check does not mean they have the cash in their account. There are alot of scammers that try to pay e-check and then try to cancel it after the item has shipped. That is a big risk for the seller.

Most online companies strive to offer great customer service and once they verify the funds they ship.

I think that is how it works.
  5. Rockyja

Rockyja Former Guest

Living in Burnsville, MN, a Transplant from Los An
    Just hope that you get what you paid for. Good luck
  6. 76Highboy

76Highboy Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Double D would know for sure.
  7. RunningOnMT

RunningOnMT New Member

No more so than anyone else I write a check to.
  8. gvw3

gvw3 Well-Known Member Supporting Member

I pay with American Express. If there is an issue they will stop payment on an item. What they do is say you spent $800 on an item. If you get something that is wrong contact AMEX and they hold funds from the seller. They will help you in settling any dispute.

I know this as a fact as they did it for me. Thanks to them I was able to resolve my issue.
  9. aa1911

aa1911 Active Member

Took me over a year and a half to get my Essex arms receiver because the shop that I ordered it thru (used their FFL to order from brownells) screwed up and never ordered it. Checked a couple times and after almost a month on my 3rd attempt to get a status, I was informed that they had never ordered it. Then it was on backorder and never came into regular stock for almost a year.

Got my money back and thankfully that employee no longer works there (I watched the owner berate him in front of a store full of customers for screwing up my order and some other issues with .17 hmr ammo I had asked for)

ordered it myself and had it shipped to a different store.

I'm also very impatient with buying guns; my Glock 35 I ordered and paid in full, had to wait over two weeks for it. Same BS as the first issue, they never ordered it until I went in a week later to check on the status!

but wait, theres more! it showed up thursday (memorial day weekend btw) so I called to make sure before I drove in; I was told that the lady that does the paperwork was gone and would not be back until tuesday. I almost came unglued. "So, you have my gun, I already paid for it, but I can't pick it up?"

"yup".....

sorry for the ramble, I'm done ordering guns there...