What do you carry and why ?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by DEADEYE1964, Dec 2, 2008.

1. DEADEYE1964

DEADEYE1964 New Member

I have numerous guns but I carry the Kel-Tec .32 cal due to the size and comfort of it fitting almost anywhere. I went shooting this last weekend and as usual, the small .32 is not the best target gun due to it's size, the only way it would be effective is if the subject was very close to me.

This got me thinking, do most people make their carry weapons based on size, power or combination of both ? I have a .40 cal I used to carry a lot but it was actually too bulky for every day carry and I started to notice I was leaving it at home more than I was carrying it, that is why I have been carrying the .32 everyday for several years now. I was always told the best carry gun is a gun you will actually carry. I would appreciate your feedback, I would like to hear everyone's own reasoning for what they carry.

Thanks,
  2. Dan Hawk

Dan Hawk New Member

I CARRY A 1911 COMMANDER SIZE .45ACP. WITH THE RIGHT HOLSTER AND BELT, IT'S A EASY CARRY FOR ANYONE. SLIM MEANS CONCEALABLE. WITH TWO 8 ROUND McCORMICK MAGS IN CARRIERS, 8+1 IN THE WEAPON IT'S VERY COMFORTING TO HAVE.
  3. Jim White

Jim White New Member

I carry a Smith & Wesson M&P 40 because it's thin enough to conceal under a t-shirt without printing and it's lightweight. It's pretty darn accurate out to 25 yards and was not very expensive. All of that considered is why it's now my primary sidearm. I also have a Taurus .357 magnum I carried on my side for about a year, until I got sick and tired of it pulling my pants down.
  4. oscarmayer

oscarmayer New Member

in my case it's a little like asking a female what shoes she's going to wear :) i've been blessed with a understanding wife who supports my gun "collecting" hobby. a lot of safe queens but i do have a few i consider my "carry" guns. a colt 1911, a browning hi-power, a colt detective special. a few times i've slipped a beretta 950 in 22 short in my pocket. i used to carry a radom p-64 in 9x18 almost daily but the wife fell in love with it and she has it resting peacefully in her purse. and my daughter talked me out of a walther ppk in 32 acp she doesn't leave home without it. ok now for a reason or two. with my 1911 and hi-power because it doesn't get much better than that excellent track records and i rather have a single action auto. as for my colt detective it's in 38 special and i feel safe with 6 rds of 158 gr lswchp in+p.
  5. delta13soultaker

delta13soultaker New Member

First, your logic about having a small, light pistol that you'll always have on your person is a good thing. A .32acp is a long way from being helpless and unarmed.

If I'm dressing for hot weather I like to stick my PPK/s .380 in my pocket or IWB. Same thing for a Taurus 817 .38spl, depending on my mood.

This time of year I carry a Glock 17 or Springfield 1911 on my hip or in a verticle shoulder rig. It's easier to carry service sized weapons in winter.

Comfort does make a difference, and sometimes something as simple as a better holster or wearing an undershirt could let you carry a larger/different handgun without it bugging you silly. (I don't care who you are, if sweaty metal or plastic digs in your skin long enough you will eventually start squirming and even tugging at the handgun. And no reasonable person would continue to do so if an option exists.)

Just speaking for myself, I think it's a balance of comfort and effectiveness. Comfort is mental and physical. If I'm not confident in my weapon or my ability to shoot it, then how pleasant it carries is secondary. Other side of the coin; if I'm suffering to carry a weapon I'm confident in, I'm distracted and not enjoying life. Effectiveness...if I have a weapon I'm confident in and can carry it without it causing me distraction/pain, it has to be one I can shoot good in a bad situation. And by bad situation, I mean fire accurately while injured, out-numbered, and in a position of disadvantage.

But your statement about the best gun being one you'll actually carry is very true.
  6. Ursus

Ursus Active Member

Taurus pt-92. Around here, bad guys travel in packs, so high capacity is the way to go.. I wear a jacket and tie most of the time, so concealment is not a problem.
  7. Terry_P

Terry_P New Member

Old school. A Ruger SP 101 in one of two Simply Rugged holsters: A Pocket Protector or a Silver Dollar Pancake belt holster. I also have a Ken Null Vampire if I am riding a lot.
  8. armedandsafe

armedandsafe Guest

I carry the same weapon every day. Training with the same weapon I carry makes it easire to react when the mind is running around in circles, screaming "This can't be happening."

I do carry a different weapon when I'm out where I want to carry openly. However, I worked over the grips and trigger so it feels and shoots exactly the same as my everyday carry piece.

Pops
  9. Like many others, my carry weapon depends on the clothing I'm wearing, the circumstances I anticipate encountering, and (sometimes) the mood I happen to be in. :D Most often for me it is either a Glock 26 or a Glock 33, though I carry a Smith Mod 637 almost as often. Delta's comments about comfort are very true indeed. The weapon you leave at home because it is too heavy or uncomfortable is the one you won't have if you need it.
  10. 5_Shooter

5_Shooter New Member

I have many to choose from, but the two I carry most would be my Glock 19 and my Taurus 85UL .38 snub. Both small enough, light enough, and very convenient to conceal.
  11. Vladimir

Vladimir New Member

I own only one handgun, a USP Compact 9mm, and carry it when I can (student so most of the time I go out I am going to campus).

Partly this is because I wasn't in the financial situation to differentiate between carry and range guns. Though the USP is a very nice compromise between both. That being said, it is very bulky and heavy, and can be a pain to carry- particularly since I can't just carry all day (thanks to campus) its like do I really want to go to the trouble of putting the holster on just to run to the store? For this reason a .357/.38sp snubbie has been on my "to-purchase" list for a while. I would love something I could literally "throw in the pocket" for a quick trip to the store or gas station.
  12. delta13soultaker

delta13soultaker New Member

The keys to alternating carry weapons are:

Train with each one to the same standards. (The more challenge, the better.)

Practice presenting with each one to the same standard.

Mental rehearsal. When you strap on, put your brain in the right gear. Reach under your shirt a few times and achieve a grip; make sure your brain knows what weapon it will be fighting with this time. Rehearse the safety, sights, trigger etc etc. (Combat is won or lost in the brain first, right?)
  13. ponycar17

ponycar17 Active Member

I generally carry a KelTec P3AT in .380 wherever I'm legally allowed in my jeans pocket for the same reasons as everyone else. At least I know I have something when I have the P3AT. I carry my Taurus PT145 in .45 ACP IWB or in my jacket pocket (which is a little odd feeling) in the winter on some occasions.
  14. Enfield

Enfield New Member

We are not allowed to carry over here and I am pleased to say that most of the time we don't need to, so I just carry a cell phone to call for help and if that does not work I run like hell :D

Cheers

Enfield
  15. Ed K

Ed K New Member

i have a few but carry a rohrbaugh R9 in desantis super fly in my pocket and a kimber 3 inch 45 cal on belt in desantis skycop cross draw i'm a jeweler and own my store