What do you carry and why ?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by DEADEYE1964, Dec 2, 2008.

1. KING64

KING64 New Member

Carry? Who says I carry?

But just between us boys I usually carry my Kimber Ultra Raptor II .45. Summer time in light clothing it is often a 2" S&W .38 wheel gun with +P. I regularly shoot both at the range.
  2. hkruss

hkruss Active Member

Glock 27. Small enough to carry comfortably IWB, and .40 cal which is the minimum caliber I would want if it came down to it. Also, an extra hi-cap mag in a pocket.
  3. threefeathers

threefeathers New Member

I decided to go 357 Sig as the caliber I want so I have P2K, Glock 32C, and Sig 229. I arry all three but the P2K is sort of winning ut.
  4. Jim White

Jim White New Member

We can't have spare tires. Spare tires kill people. ;)
  5. Thomas_1

Thomas_1 New Member

My wife says I have a spare tire that I carry around all the time!
    I usually carry a .38 snub with a inside the pant holster.
  6. Enfield

Enfield New Member

Sorry Guys I was only joking, I did not wish to upset anyone

For the record I think that you should be allowed to carry if you want to and that you should be allowed to defend yourself in any way that you choose.

The element of risk should be weighed against the villan - if they pick on you guys then they will loose, too bad.

I have been to the US a couple of times and thought that it was a great place and met loads of nice people but totaly understand your reference to the spare tyre, you may never need it, but when you do you really need it

All the best

Enfield
  7. ponycar17

ponycar17 Active Member

I don't think you upset anyone. I only replied as I did because I thought your response was funny. :D
  8. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    I suppose I'm a little old fashioned. I like the old wheel guns, and I also like the 1911A. The wheel guns though just leave a little something out of the SD scenario, like only 5 or 6 rds. I know that some of the newer ones on the market now have 7 and 8 shot capacity. But, I feel better knowing I have a few more rds. with the .45, and that each one is a little better, IMHO, suited to SD than the .38's of .357's. I usually carry the .45, but have also started carrying a little .380. Both guns are carried cocked and locked, and both guns only require a swipe of the thumb to disengage the safety. Both carry the same # of rds., and both guns are very accurate at longer distances than I will ever be shooting at a BG. I am considering at this time purchasing the Taurus 58. That little bugger carries 20 rds. of .380. If I purchase this gun, and it shoots like I hope it will, then that just might become my everyday carry weapon.
  9. Insulation Tim

Insulation Tim Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Well, I need to wait until this Saturday when I take the Ohio CCW Class. I then take that certificate to the local sheriff's office and apply for the prmit.

Hopefully, I'll be able to legally carry my S&W AirLite TI 38 Special Snubnose.

I still haven't figured it out as to how I'm going to concel carry it, but small, slow steps for a newbie.
  10. obxned

obxned New Member

Summer carry is usually a P-3AT, and in cold weather a PF-9. I want light weight and don't want to have to dress differently to conceal than I otherwise would.
  11. pap1105

pap1105 New Member

p3at pocket in pocket holster. pf9 owb in don hume jit slide. easy to conceal
  12. Gorillaman

Gorillaman New Member

Springfield Armory XD in .45 Tactical model. 13+1 speer gold dots 230 gr. jhp

Im in the combat zone here in South East Arizona.
  13. DWARREN123

DWARREN123 New Member

At this time it is a Springfield XDm in 40 S&W either IWB or a slide type holster.
  14. Gabob

Gabob Well-Known Member

Around the farm I carry whichever large caliber revolver I pick up first, either 45 Colt or .44 Mag(We have wild hogs and other large varmints)
    When I worked in a lab coat I carried a ,45 S&W 4516 in IWB holster
    Retired now and carry Beretta Tomcat .32 acp in pocket holster at all times
  15. Jay

Jay New Member

I've carried a 1911 variant for 40 years, and I'm not gonna change now. I have several firearms available to carry, but I'm of the opinion that having to remind myself which handgun I'm carrying,may not be the best method for me to use. What muscle memory I have left is pretty well oriented towards, the 1911 platform, and I'm proficient there.
  16. UncleFudd

UncleFudd Member

Great to carry all those neat guns, but can you fight with it?
    Can you get it out of your current holster with your "off hand" Be honest now>
    Can you hit every time (after you draw with your off hand) using ONLY your off hand? Or do you even practice these maneuvers?
    All day, every day at my range I watch guys and gals who claim to be serious about self defense and seldom to never except in class do I see a single one practice with their off hand.
    It will not be enough to just have it with you. PRACTICE and remember to practice getting your gun out of its container with your off hand and being able to hit every single time with either hand.
    PRACTICE, PRACTICE and then PRACTICE some more.
    I still carry either my 9MM lightweight commander or the G19 and YES I CAN to all the above and I practice with the off hand 1/2 of every practice session.

I am about to begin a new evening practice session (after normal business hours) for a normal "lane rental fee" which will allow anyone who wants to participate. We will do low light, barricade, prone, sitting and laying down as well as shoot while you move to cover.
    Most ranges don't allow this so I am going to do this primarily for that reason and because I do have a few serious members and people who have supported my range for a lot of years that I want to try to give back something special to them.
    It will be interesting to see how many will turn out to take advantage of this once in a lifetime offer. If it goes OK I'll continue to offer it once a month. I'll keep you all posted on the reception.

God Speed and everyone have a wonderful, safe and Happy Holiday Season.

UF
    WWW.caswells.com
  17. 45nut

45nut Active Member

My main carry gun is a Taurus P-140 in a strong side IWB holster. Same for my Rock Island Armory GI .45 ACP. I like that the safety for the P-140 is located in the same place as the 1911. My main back-up has been a Titan .25 that is reliable and accurate. I just bought a PF-9 and haven't decided if I'm going to use the PF-9 as a back or alternate.

I also have a concealed t-shirt with the holster under my left arm and it's hardly noticable with the Taurus, but I prefer it IWB for accessability.

I've been carrying the PF-9 in my strong side pants pocket.
  18. bikemanutah

bikemanutah New Member

My wife and I both carry Sig Sauer P220, 45ACP's. I also carry a Springfield XD Compact in 45ACP. It holds enough rounds, 13 & 1 to hold up in a fire fight.
  19. flannelman

flannelman New Member

Rural Arkansas. But isn't all of Arkansas rural?
    I dno't carry yet but I plan to take the CCW course and get my permit just after the new year. I have a Ruger P-89 9mm and a Hi-Point 9mm that I might consider carrying but I will probably be out shopping for a carry gun soon. Any ideas you may have for me would be great. I am a big guy so large frame guns are no problem for me.
  20. bikemanutah

bikemanutah New Member

Flannelman,

If you are going to carry a gun that you want your life to depend on, and I am not being an ass about this, get rid of the Ruger and the Hi-Point and buy a high dollar hand gun. I would consider a Glock or HK in 45ACP. I personally carry the Springfield XD or the Sig Sauer P220, both 45 caliber. After you buy your hand gun, go out to the range or wherever you can shoot, and put about 500 rounds through it the first day. Keep doing that for a few months and see why a high dollar hand gun is your best bet. Get your permit as soon as you can, they may not be available much longer if our government has its way.