What do you guys collect?

Discussion in 'Knives & Edged Items' started by ckill1, Jan 9, 2009.

1. ckill1

ckill1 New Member

Just something new to talk about...

I've noticed that most gun guys are also knife guys, so fess up...what knives are you drawn to? Any particular maker? Custom or factory? Folders, hunters, or "art knives"?

Personally I seem to gravitate towards functional, overbuilt hunters and fighters. The only folders I have are the EDC knives I use daily. I do like the custom stuff, but prices prohibit me owning very many.

Right now I own 2 Randall mades, a #3-6 and a Buxton fighter, 6-in. I also have 4 Bob Dozier customs (one of the best values in a custom knife!), a Harvey King and a couple of fine hunter/fighters from a small knifemaker in Nebraska with the last name of Sloan. I see him at the Fremont gun show and his work is really top-notch.

Will try to post some pics later, but ever since I moved out to the sticks, my internet speed blows.

Lets hear about your collections!:D

Chris
  2. pickenup

pickenup Active Member

3. I've carried a knife daily since I was a kid and now I own probably 100 or more, most of them folders. To me, knives are tools, so I don't go in for collecting just for the sake of collecting. I buy knives that I can use on a daily basis for daily tasks. Right now I carry a stainless steel Spyderco.
  4. cycloneman

cycloneman Well-Known Member

I only have 3 Buck knives that I used for cleaning deer. I found it hard to keep an edge on them so I simply gave them up. I bought a Wyoming knife and simply change blades. I also use a Rapala filet knife when I am skinning deer. In fact I have quite a few of these 15 dollar Rapala's. I use them in the kitchen, boat, for cleaning fish and hunting. It is very easy to keep the razor edge on these knives. You just can't beat a razor.
  5. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    I'm not really a collector, but I like knives that are functional and usable for every day tasks. Most of my money goes for Bowie type knives, with a good bit towards self opening knives. This is my favorite, one that I carry and use while hunting/camping. It's a Ridgid "Bear Paw".

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 12, 2009
  6. Mosin_Nagant_Fan

Mosin_Nagant_Fan Active Member

I love my Puma Handic but I do not collect any one particular brand.
    Last edited: Aug 20, 2009
  7. ckill1

ckill1 New Member

Here are 3 of my Doziers, I have since added an Arkansas toothpick with lager scales and black spacers...As soon as the camera battery is charged, I will try to get pics of the others.
    Doziers2.jpg

Chris
  8. ccw45bob

ccw45bob New Member

9. tim peterson

tim peterson Member

I like the remington bullet knives,( folders. ) I also have a thing for bowie knifes.
  10. 308 at my gate

308 at my gate New Member

I have a small collection of custom one off knives from american knife makers. They are all hunter type knives and are usually hand made. Some of the craftsmanship that is out their never ceases to amaze me. When I get a new knife of this type I can only imagine the amount of hours of work and craftsmanship that went into making it.
    Some of the makers off the top of my head would be Frank Chikey, Waite knives, Sky blades. There are others that I do not remember at this time.
  11. AL MOUNT

AL MOUNT Active Member

Cleaning my Thompson in The Foothills of the Ozark
    What do I collect ???

The wife would say DUST .. :D
  12. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

I mostly collect the Remington Bullet Knives. Several years ago, when I was stationed in Rhode Island, I met a few custom knife makers. I bought a few of their knives. Here are some pictures that I took for insurance purposes.

You'll probably never heard of the makers, unless you are from RI or CT but they are Norman Bardsley, William McHenry, and Ralph Selvidio (Rattler Brand).
    Last edited: Apr 22, 2013
  13. poser_pilot

poser_pilot New Member

I'll buy just about any good looking folder. I have a preference for Spyderco and their offshoot, Byrd. I also have a Benchmade auto-folder that was issued to me in OIF 4 that I got to keep. Its a pretty cool knife, but I usually carry my Spyderco Native. Nice little 2" full serrated blade.

My most expensive knife is my Spyderco Embassy auto, but its well worth it.

I dont have any fixed blades at all right now, but I look to remedy that soon. The only problem I have is that I dont really have a reason for a 4 or 5 inch fixed blade knife, so I have to find a reason to justify it to the wife lol.
  14. 45nut

45nut Active Member

Good Lord, I love a good knife. I have my Papaw's old Barlow 2 blade knife, my Grandpa's skinning knife, and my Great Great Grandfather's knife / fork combo he used after he lost his arm in the War of Northern Aggression... oh wait, he was the aggressor. Anywho, I love a good knife.

I have 2 WWII USMC Camillus Fighting knives

Buck - Fixed Blade: 119, 104 and 106
    Buck - Folders: 112 and 2 of the plastic 110 Rangers

Great Western- 2 fixed blade Hunters. 1 w/ gut hook

Schrade - A fixed blade #153 Golden Spike complete w/ whetstone.

2 German Solingen Bowie knives. One I cannibalized in my youth to make a mountain man knife, but the other remains intact with real stag grips and the tang and back of the blade is an honest 5/16". This thing is scary sharp too.

My favorite pocket knife was the Uncle Henry brand. Their little 3 blade pocket knife was the best. I have 2 of these, one Stockman and one Trapper. These are the big ones.

I have 2 Boker automatics, both with a half serrated blade. One of these rides in my strong side back pocket at all times.

Gerber multi-tools are in my arsenal too.

The number of pocket knives laying around in odd places and tucked away in drawers etc are too numerous to list.
    Last edited: Jan 14, 2009
  15. new308handloader

new308handloader New Member

My next knife will be the SOG Seal Pup

Attached Files: