What do you guys collect?

Discussion in 'Knives & Edged Items' started by ckill1, Jan 9, 2009.

1. 308 at my gate

308 at my gate New Member

Well I would like to say welcome DesertRose and also it looks like you and your husband really have a talent in the making of the blades you have shown. Thanks.
  2. DesertRose

DesertRose New Member

To 308 at my gate

Thank you for the "welcome" but Please forgive the confusion. My husband did not make any of those Jim Hauf had posted. Those were made in the countries they came from and the "medieval" dagger was not of my husband's.

I uploaded two photos of what my husband made in the last few years and in my files. He has made far more plain pieces but not everything was photographed before leaving the shop. Either our 35mm camera was out of film at the time or he forgot. Later after obtaining a digital camera, it was the same thing. Either the battery needed charging or he forgot...again ;)
    But sometimes a customer will send us photos though.

The ones shown are what we took and are the decorated examples. The artwork designs and all piercework is my contribution to the business. The blades are handforged spring steel and we make our own leather scabbards. The Dirks were silver mounted and made several years ago as presentation pieces sent to Scotland.

The late Medieval sword was a custom order made three years ago. The sword hilt and scabbard mounts were done in German Silver with piercework/overlay in the same material. The art design and piercework is my contribution.

The third one is a plainer Medieval "Knightly Sword" with brass inlay on the pommel and guard.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 16, 2012
  3. 308 at my gate

Yes you are right I misunderstood. The swords are very impressive. Nice work.
  4. Jim Hauff

Jim Hauff New Member

I've added labels - ID'ed to the best of my research talents. Got a bunch more if you'd like to see them.
  5. Jim Hauff

Jim Hauff New Member

Desert Rose,
    As a blade afficianado - I find those to be breathtaking. Great work.
  6. 308 at my gate

That was great Jim thanks for doing that. You have a diverse collection from all over the world there.
    If you have the time to post more pics I will look. :)
  7. 308 at my gate

I always find the sheaths for the knives to be as interesting as the knives themselves.
  8. DesertRose

DesertRose New Member

Jim Hauff...

Thank you ;)
  9. Jim Hauff

Jim Hauff New Member

Desert Rose,
    You're welcome.

Here's a couple more blades from around the world:
    North African, Jambiya, Morocco/Tunisia, possibly Taureg
    IMG_3412.jpg
    Indo-Persian Daggar, with spiral cut groove in buffalo horn grip(?)
    IMG_3537.jpg
    Central African - Panga type
    IMG_3539.jpg
    Borneo - Kriss hand hammer Copper, given to my father by a village chieftan after his platoon eliminated some 20+ Japanese Marine holdouts terrorizing the village; my father was also offered the chieftan's daughter - a gift that he graciously declined.
    IMG_3511.jpg
    Last edited: Jan 18, 2012
  10. 308 at my gate

A very unique and interesting collection thanks Jim.
  11. DesertRose

DesertRose New Member

The first one is a style of Jambiya. The second one, I have seen written as a "sleeve knife" used by the Tuareg. Nice examples.

Love the story behind the Borneo Kriss.
  12. stede

stede Member

DesertRose- I collect 19th century sword bayonets and have a particular interest in markings... so dish on the meaning of your blade stamping! ;)
  13. Forsaken72

Forsaken72 New Member

Recently purchased a masuhiro katana. not the quality i had preferred but better than those cheap thing youll find at the mall. At least its hand forged.
  14. Jim Hauff

Jim Hauff New Member

DesertRose,
    Thanks for catching the "missing" Jambiya label - had it in my notes but forgot to type in.
    As to the "sleeve knife" - I've looked for a couple years on the internet to ID this piece and the closest I could get, based up the triangular blade is what I posted. PLEASE give me some hints on where to look for info on bladed weapons so I can get better IDs. The leather sheath for that triangular piece kind of throws me, especially with the shaped tail. Thanks.
    Last edited: Jan 18, 2012
  15. DesertRose

DesertRose New Member

?

If you mean the armourer's mark on the photos I posted....the "K over the Anvil" has been my husband's mark since he began in the 1950s. Then in the late 90's he added a "B" underneath the anvil when our son began helping him the shop forging blades.

To Jim Hauff,
    Most of our reference books deal with European weaponry however. I have a few books that show Middle Eastern weaponry. Since going online in the mid 90s, I made a habit of looking around for any references that would help "fill out" any gaps. As my husband makes edged weaponry of different periods and cultures, it is best to be prepared.

At first, it was pretty meager but eventually, museums and even collectors began putting their databases online. Because of what my husband and I do, we knew reenactors who had some exotic/ethnic pieces to show. Eventually I found and have a few arms and armour forums bookmarked which I have found helpful in the past. That may likely have something we don't have in our offline reference library.

So I have come across online references online of Tuaregs using sleeve knives and remember seeing one, recently, with a similar style scabbard. These were worn up on the forearm usually with a short strap like this one

That forum you might find helpful and I know members of the Ethnographic Arms & Armour forum would be very happy to help you. For example, here is a thread about Tuareg daggers from there.
    Last edited: Jan 20, 2012
  16. Jim Hauff

Jim Hauff New Member

Desert Rose,
    Thanks for the link! I just signed up on the site. Spent 2 hours scanning back into old postings - very interesting stuff. I'm tempted to sell all the H&Rs and get into collecting bladed stuff. Thanks again. Can't wait till I'm accepted as a member and can begin posting.
  17. MSGT-R

MSGT-R Active Member

Wow, there's some nice stuff being posted in here!