What Do You Guys Think?

Discussion in 'Self Defense Tactics & Weapons' started by durk, Jul 20, 2008.

1. durk

durk New Member

I have a Kel-Tec .380 that I carry almost everywhere in the warm months. I'm thinking of getting the Kel-tec 9mm for more fire power but it is a little bit bigger. Do you guys think the trade-off from smaller size to more power is worth it? I don't use a holster with the .380, I just put it in my pocket for pretty deep concealment. Does anyone have both the 9mm & the .380 that might have a comparison on concealment for me? Or does anyone just have the 9mm that they put in their pocket without a holster?
  2. Prizefighter

Prizefighter New Member

Assuming that both guns are equally easy to conceal and comfortable to carry, I don't think the difference in the caliburs is great enough to be the only reason to switch your hot-season carry gun. I've known some fellows to call the .380 "9mm short."

Now if we were talking about moving from .380 to .40 S&W or larger, there might be more to think about, in my opinion.

Just for frame of reference, .380 is the minimum that law enforcement in my area arm themselves with, like for off-duty carry and such.
  3. TTUshooter

TTUshooter New Member

I too own a p3at but not the 9mm kel tec. But from what i've handled the 9mm it doesnt seem like a gun that will conceal easily just in the pocket at least to the extent that the .380 will. I think it would be a great gun for an IWB holster and would for the most part disappear.
  4. ponycar17

ponycar17 Active Member

The PF-9 I attempted to conceal in my pocket seemed a bit difficult. It had the extended finger rest though. I think that the models without the extended finger rest look much easier to conceal, based on my VERY limited experience with the gun. I'm considering one for the cooler months myself. Angeldeville just posted that he had bought both of these pistols recently. Maybe he has an opinion or could post pics of pocket carry?...
  5. durk

durk New Member

That would be great.:)
  6. Deathbunny

Deathbunny Former Guest

2 things: 1st--please get a pocket holster! Even apart from lint, bad sh*t can happen to a gun bouncin' around in a pocket.
    2nd-- let's face it, a .380 will do the job. If you want to go a bit heavier, sure, a 9mm will give you more horsepower. But, why? As targets go, humans are pretty soft. You not trying to put down a Cape buffalo. If you fire at a human at normal combat range (21-28 FEET) a .380 will get it done. And it's easier to conceal. :)
  7. delta13soultaker

delta13soultaker New Member

True that .380 ACP is fully capable of stopping a threat.

9mm Para is an undeniable jump in performance though. It pushes a heavier bullet faster than its shorter sister. The difference is pretty big regardless of barrel length. A heavier faster bullet equals more tissue damage via more penetration into vitals....which with identical placed bullets into the same vitals means faster loss of blood pressure...quicker stop. The faster bullet means more reliable expansion of hollowpoints, and that's a side benefit. Just wanted to get that bit out of the way... .380 barely approaches 9mm performance in capability.

I carry a .380 PPK/s a lot. I carry a G17 9mm sometimes too. So I kinda see where you're comming from about .380/9mm.

I don't see why having the 9mm for your jacket pocket in winter months would be a trade-off.
  8. durk

durk New Member

I carry a .45 in the fall,winter and spring or when ever a jacket is worn.
  9. delta13soultaker

delta13soultaker New Member

Ah ok.

It's about peace of mind. If you feel better armed with the 9mm then the bit of extra size is worth it.
  10. obxned

obxned New Member

While the P11 and PF9 are only slightly larger than the P3AT, they are not nearly as easy to conceal.
  11. user

user New Member

Northern piedmont of Va. and Middle of Nowhere, We
    Kahr PM9.
  12. graehaven

graehaven Active Member

I have the P32 (roughly same size as the P3AT) and I have the P11.

No, the P11 is not easily concealed in the pocket. I got a FOBUS holster for it, for my hip, and it's outstanding. The rig and gun are so light, you barely know it's there, and it's very secure. Easy to deploy as well. Very comfortable.

The P11 is easily concealable under a loose shirt too, summer or winter. :D

hope this helps.

And, btw, I don't care what anyone else here says about reliability - the P11 is very reliable and accurate - despite the heavy trigger pull.
  13. TranterUK

TranterUK Guest

I knew a couple of very serious players who when I asked what they carried showed me a .380 Colt Mustang. They added that they varied the bullet types between ball and HPs, a habit I than adopted.

Bottom line, no ones going to argue bigger is better, but if they felt well enough armed with a .380 I sure as heck would.
  14. durk

durk New Member

I guess I could just go from store to store putting different guns in my pockets to see what conceals good enough. Or hit a gun show and do the one-stop shopping thing.:D