"What do you tell people..."

Discussion in 'The Constitutional & RKBA Forum' started by vulcrider, Jan 9, 2011.

1. vulcrider

vulcrider Member

During a family discussion about the shootings in Arizona, the question was raised as to why I like guns. To clarify, my family is for the majority pro-gun. Those that don't feel the same way are not shunned and their opinions are well respected. Those that are pro-gun don't try to force their opinions on those that aren't. I am lucky in that respect as family get-togethers stay civil!
    But, the question was raised as to why I do like guns. Not about gun ownership or 2nd ammendment rights, etc, but just about the guns themselves. It made me think and fostered the question to be put to the rest of you...
    What do you tell people when they ask you, "Why do you like guns?"
  2. CampingJosh

CampingJosh Well-Known Member

I find shooting to be a particularly enjoyable hobby. Some people play golf, some people watch or play sports, some people go shopping. Some people play cards. I go shooting.

I am a rather unusual shooter in that I don't hunt. I occasionally shoot varmints, but for the most part I just shoot targets.

Shooting is my hobby. It's what I do to relax and have fun. :)
  3. Double D

Double D Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

When talking to an anti gun person it can lead to an arguement if not handled properly. I personally point out how guns played a crucial role in our freedom and how thousands of law abiding citizens are able to prevent attacks and protect their familys as well as hunting for food or just target shooting for fun. Another thing I do is point out the facts such as using washington dc as an example. Since the passage of their strict gun laws, the crime rate has increased by 51%. Those are actual numbers. I would also add that when talking to a liberal, having the facts and numbers doesnt usually matter. They are not likely to listen to reason and the best thing for you to do is walk away from that conversation.

With all of that said, I will say that what happened in az was dispicable. It was an act of senseless violence carried out by cowards. Low life individuals that dont deserve a trial. Anyone who can kill a child and other totally innocent people should be hanged on sight. While no one is certain that this was politicaly driven, if it was, NOBODY should ever have to pay the price for their political affiliation no matter how much someone disagrees with their views. I pray for the victims and their familys and I pray for swift justice on the cowards who did this.
  4. vulcrider

vulcrider Member

The more I pondered this question, the more I discovered my own reasons.
    Like you, not a big hunter, but that is one part of it.
    I guess for me, it encompasses so many components: from the sheer fun of shooting--challenging myself to put that little chunk of lead exactly where I want it to go, to the enjoyment of handling a fine piece of craftsmanship, to the fun of understanding what happens after I move that little piece of metal called a trigger to the exiting of the bullet from the end of the barrel to what exactly happens when the firing pin hits the primer.
    Maybe I understand better the somewhat dazed looks I get when I try to explain why I like guns!
    A lot like the old Harley-Davidson line, "If I have to explain it, you wouldn't uderstand!"
  5. vulcrider

vulcrider Member

I can't agree more with you. I firmly believe in the 2nd ammendment and what it stands for. And you are right. Sometimes its best to just walk away from some discussions.
    I was just trying to get some opinions on the attraction that guns have for us.
  6. Artemus

Artemus New Member

I like guns,some more than others.However,I need guns more than I like them.The older I get the more I feel I need them.Many will not understand this,but it is of no concern to me.
  7. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    I pick when I will get into a discussion on guns, or anything gun realted, with those that don't like guns. The same with politics, and religion. There are some you can talk to, and then there are those that have already made up their minds, and know that everyone else is wrong if they don't see things the way they do. I would just as soon bash my head against a wall as to talk to one of these! I like guns for many reasons, they keep me safe, they feed me, they can be works of art, and it is a real chalenge to get some guns to shoot where you want them to. I like reloading, and making something that I can use on a daily basis if I want to.
  8. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

"I don't know. Why do you like spaghetti? Why do you like old movies? Why do you like video games? You like 'em. I like guns."
  9. uzim16

uzim16 New Member

it's a question about gun violence? I think there is a reason a lot of anti-gun and pro-gun don't want to face to " States is a great country, but she doesn't care the poor and unsuccessful". States is a country you work or study hard and try to reach your dream. but, in the game there are always people failed. What should you do with them? Just tell them" take it"? I'm not surprised some of them go wild.
  10. red14

red14 Active Member

I don't tell anyone I am armed. I have a 'concealed weapon or firearm lisense'. To me, that means no one else needs to know.

Necessity is the mother of invention.

I started to 'like guns' when I realized I could no longer defend myself, and there were break-ins and assaults near my residence and surrounding areas. I learned with the help of this forum, and a couple others, that practice and affinity with my 'weapon of choice' was necessary. I have 'learned' to like guns.
  11. Bobitis

Bobitis Guest

No one's ever asked me the question.

Everyone in my family owns firearms (cept Mom and Step Dad), and we all think alike. Step Dad was wounded in WWII, and is not unfamiliar with them.
    Even the neices and nephews have them.

The closest I ever got was when a co-worker asked if I had a screwdriver to pull out stuck staple. I handed him my Leatherman and he exlaimed "Bob, you got a leatherman"? I told him, "I can't carry a gun".:mad:
  12. johnlives4christ

johnlives4christ Former Guest

i'll just quote this for my response but i'll ad that i also like them because they allow me to defend myself with less effort then other weapons do
  13. 45Auto

45Auto Active Member

They are historicaly, artisticaly and mechanicaly interesting. Many firearms, new and old, have the fine lines of a small sculpture. From the dawn of history fine weapons of all kinds have also been works of art.

Guns are challenging to master for sporting purposes. Unlike a dull collection of stamps, a gun can be used for recreational shooting with friends and family, or defending the home in time of need.
  14. hogger129

hogger129 Active Member

Target shooting is enjoyable.

I need to have a means to defend myself.
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2011
  15. hogger129

hogger129 Active Member

sorry double post
  16. Millwright

Millwright Well-Known Member

I think 45Auto expressed my feelings best !!

Ultimately, guns are tools. And as any tool collector can attest, the real prizes are tools lovingly handcrafted - regardless of craft - to perform needed tasks as circumstances demand. The same arts are still expressed in countless workshops every day.....Need to 'rehead' an irreplacable screw ? There's ways to do it - perfectly - if you creat the right "tool".

Want to achieve that legendary one-hole 100-yd. group ? Start "crafting" your concept of a "super gun"......

About all I can add to 45Auto's excellent definition is the "Zen of Firearms Shooting".....Excellent performance requires the mastery of one's self; physically, emotionally and intellectually. Learning to control one's breathing, posture and situational awareness in order to create that trigger " break" between heartbeats, when the sights are perfectly aligned. That's at least as much - if not more - "Zen" than embodied in all the Eastern martial arts....... >MW
  17. rentalguy1

rentalguy1 Former Guest

If it weren't for guns, I wouldn't be here today...
  18. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

I was asked similar a few times here , my reply is pretty standard now

How long how you known me ? ( 5-30 years in most cases)
    Have i ever used a gun in a way that concerned you ? ( no)
    Have you any knowledge of me threatening to use a gun against someone besides my standard answer that politicians need shooting , but remember i have never shot a politician , that is my expression of disgust at those who sell us out ( no again)

do you know anyone scared of me besides criminals and Islamic gangs ? ( no )

and do you think my stances on self defence rights is wrong ? ( no again)

i subscribe to the veiw of if i am not a loony i should be able to hunt shoot and enjoy my sport and out door life style with freedom , do you agree? (yes )

and do you agree if i am a loony i should have my guns removed ? ( yes)

do you think iam a loony? ( no of course not !!)

then why are you harrassing me about a lunatic act of violence just because a gun is involved when weekly we see islamic gangs use cars to run down people or should we ban all cars too ? ( no dont be silly )

but you compare me with a lunatic ! ( well i did not mean it that way )

but thats how it does come across huh ?? ( well yes i suppose , i'm sorry jack )

no worries mate .. hey speaking of guns i'm off shooting again saterday morning , if i run across some bunnies want me to drop a couple by ? ( sure that'd be great! )

see guns in the hands of responsible folks is a good thing .. ( yeah i guess so)

------------------------------------------------------

if i had a buck for everytime i have run through that here, i'd have enough for a couple cases of .308 factory
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2011
  19. Redhand

Redhand Active Member

Well, I kinda feel like I paid my dues and earned my privelege to own guns, My right to own one and handle it responsibly was IMHO given to me by GOD. I would rather shoot an x ring with my Hogleg rather than shoot a dogleg with my 9 iron. My choice, My FREEDOM.:D:D:D
  20. vulcrider

vulcrider Member

All great responses, many I think I will use myself (with permission)