What do you think of pistols with tip up barrels for quick chambering, etc. photos

Discussion in 'Centerfire Pistols & Revolvers' started by Remington597, Jun 21, 2004.

1. Remington597

Remington597 Former Guest

Easier chambering, easier cleaning, and just super cool. What are everyone's thoughts on these.

Beretta 86. .380ACP
    [​IMG]
    Taurus PT.25 .25ACP
    [​IMG]
    Last edited: Jun 21, 2004
  2. mtnboomer

mtnboomer New Member

Oklahoma by birth. America by the grace of God.
    Berretta has used this method for over 50 years. I guess it must work. :D
  3. BlueTic

BlueTic New Member

I just picked up a beretta 950 tip up .25 - it is a heck of alot easier than using my FN Browning .25.....
  4. Remington597

It would seem that Taurus and Beretta have dominated this market. Are there any others?
  5. Woodman

Woodman New Member

My Tomcat is in the shop after a thousand rounds.
    It tips up and locks, but stopped locking all the way down, instead stopping .5 to .75 mm shy of "full lock".

The feed ramp is on the frame, and on the tip-up barrel.

I found myself suddenly with a situation in which there was a tiny seam, or crack in the feed ramp, leading my primary self-defense ammo into a FTF situation.

I'll put another few hundred through it, and have a talk with Beretta.
    One 'smith said the firearm was not meant for my type of "practice" (I practice often with my CCW sidearm; a tip from Dave Wilson); I have a feeling Beretta will say the gun should go 20K rounds between overhauls. Never-the-less, it is guaranteed for three years - ample time for a true assessment.
  6. punchie

punchie Member

I have only one complaint on the small Beretta tip-ups. I have rather small hands but they are quite meaty and the rear of the Beretta slide is like two needles attached to a razor blade. The web of my hand suffers greatly with anything more than a one finger hold!

The only other problem that I can see is not really a problem just that it is different. Because it has no extractor I have observed many people check the gun by racking the slide without checking the chamber. Now we all know that this is wrong but I have seen it happen on too many occasions. They just automatically assume that the loaded round has been removed. Wrong!!
  7. 358 winchester

358 winchester *TFF Admin Staff*

I think they are good guns for folks that have a hard time with slides.
    Punchie if your hams are small then mine are tiny :D
  8. Remington597

Excellent feedback everyone, this area of firearms fascinates me, please keep the responses coming.
  9. Woodman

Woodman New Member

Beretta USA has two repair facilities.
    One at Beretta, NY I think, and a company in California.
    I mailed mine to the CA company, since I live here.
    It should have arrived June 11th, and they said it would be a ten day turn-around.

Anyone who has mailed to Beretta itself might say "three months".
    Geez, a gun could be out of warranty by the time they log it into the system.

I'll let you know what the 'smith does to it. I have the feeling the lockdown lever was somehow chipped, rather than worn, but we'll see.

The firearm is the Inox model. I can't see the area of the stainless barrel that locks wearing down after 1000 rounds.

p.s. My new Kahr (still in transit) PM9094 will have the same capacity, same weight (roughly), similar size, but shoot 9mm instead of .32ACP.
  10. bambihunter

bambihunter New Member

As someone above eluded to, I think they are mainly meant for people that have a hard time working the slide (weak grip, or missing digits or something like that). For those, I think they'd be a god-send, for all the rest, I think they're mostly a novelty and something else to break. I suppose they would help with cleaning, but then again they also give you something else to clean and oil...
    I've had several but the only one I can think of off the top of my head is the Beretta 21 in .25 acp and .22.