What do you think of this guy?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Huck Finn, Jun 5, 2006.

1. Huck Finn

Huck Finn Member

Just found this story on the net.
    Woman Shot While Stealing Gas From Cars, Police Say

POSTED: 11:35 am PDT June 5, 2006

SPARKS, Nev. -- Police said woman was shot in the leg with a shotgun by a man who saw her and two others siphoning gasoline from vehicles in Sparks, Nev.

Sarina Ellis, 22, was taken to a hospital with nonlife-threatening injuries.

Police said the alleged shooter, Alden Noring, turned himself in shortly after the predawn incident Monday. Noring now stands accused of battery with a deadly weapon and discharging a firearm into a vehicle.

According to police, Ellis, along with 25-yera-old Allen Dixon and 43-year-old Katrina Myrick-Davidson, were siphoning gas when Noring awoke and went outside with a shotgun to confront them.

Police said Noring was involved in a similar shooting in 1995

Personally, I think this guy should go to jail for a very long time and be sued for everything he has. The idea of taking a shotgun to someone over $30 worth of gas is unimaginable! He was in no danger and he's done something similar on the past. I hate to see the gas thief profit from her crime (she should be under arrest as well), but this guy went over board. It doesn't even say that they were stealing his gas.
    If he was mad about gas theft, he should have done what I did after somebody siphoned gas out of my pickup. I went and bought a brand new, small gas can...filled it with 2 gallons of gas and 3 cups of sugar & just left it in the bed of my truck. It took a week, but finally someone stole that too. I wonder how THAT worked out for them!
  2. LIKTOSHOOT

LIKTOSHOOT Advanced Senior Member

Only problem I see, is he didn`t double tap her. You always shoot twice---ALWAYS!!!!

LTS
  3. satellite66

satellite66 New Member

The article seems to lean towards the anti gun side. Maybe he was threatened when he confronted them? It was 3 against 1. My biggest problem is that it will just give the anti gunners a martyr and ammo.
  4. berto64

berto64 Active Member

Aw shucks, Huck.

How they gonna learn the difference between right & wrong (see, there's a principle involved here!) if someone isn't willing to teach them?

Betcha the li'l bitch'll think twice before suckin' on THAT hose again!
  5. polishshooter

polishshooter Active Member

Hey, the antis are always saying 'Couldn't he just shoot him in the arm or leg?

On second thought, maybe he should just claim a quail went up low in that direction... :D

And I hear you LTS, "center of mass, center of mass..." ;)
  6. One might argue that deadly force is a bit extreme for a few bucks worth of gas, but it seems to me that a man has the right to protect his property. I seem to remember reading that someplace, like in the Constitution perhaps. Once again we'll see the criminal getting the gold mine and the armed citizen getting the shaft. :mad:
  7. Huck Finn

Huck Finn Member

The problems I see with some of the above arguments are that he wasn't out numbered 3 to 1 while he was still in his house, near a phone that he could have used to call the police, and the article never stated that he was protecting his own property. But whoever said that he was giving ammo to the anti's was right. Someone said that the article had an anti-gun slant to it. I don't think there is a way to cover this story and make the shooter look good. Every month in "The American Rifleman" they publish stories in a section called (I believe) "The Armed Citizen", where they recount stories of people who have used firearms to protect themselves from criminals. I really don't think the NRA will cover this story, because there is no good way to spin it. Especially when you consider that the gas thief will probably set for life with the proceeds from the law suit. This guy would have done himself a BIG favor if he had picked up his phone instead of his shotgun. Realistically, would anyone here actually do what this guy did? I know I wouldn't. Especially considering it looks like it wasn't even HIS gas getting stolen. I just think this guy makes the rest of us look pretty bad.
  8. satellite66

satellite66 New Member

I guess it comes down to whether you believe that a person has a fundamental right to defend themsleves and their property or you think that property is fair game for criminals.
    Where in the constitution does it say that you have to cower in your home and await the arrival of someone else to protect you? Isn't that what the castle doctrine laws are trying to reverse? The liberal strategy of cut and run to protect the criminal.
    He armed himself and went outside to investigate what woke him up . He found 3 people stealing gas. He shoots one of them for reasons not stated in the article. The article makes it sound like he saw them siphoning gas went outside and just shot one.
    He turned himself in so it suggests that the cops did not make any arrests at the scene except for perhaps the criminals.

I am not willing to throw him to the wolves without more information.
    Last edited: Jun 5, 2006
  9. Marlin T

Marlin T Active Member

This is interesting, I’ll have to agree that the said article doesn’t have enough information in it to even come close to making judgment except that people were stealing. So to start with, I have to give the person that was doing the shooting the benefit of doubt.

The one and only time, outside of the military that is, I pulled a weapon on someone was when I found some people in our garage stealing gasoline. But fortunately for me, all I had to do was rack a round into the chamber of the 12 Ga. and told the people to open the garage door and run. They did and all was OK, they didn’t ever come back either. So I can relate to this guys circumstance. Even if it wasn’t his gas that was getting stolen!

Huck said this, “””Every month in "The American Rifleman" they publish stories in a section called (I believe) "The Armed Citizen", where they recount stories of people who have used firearms to protect themselves from criminals.”””

Huck, if you go over to www.keepandbeararms.com you can find that kind of story almost every day, if not a couple times a day. It is NOT an uncommon event, like even the NRA portrays.

This is from today
    AK: Homeowner kills intruder: a black bear
    FL: Prowlers flee homeowner's bullets
    ID: Family mourns loss of Prescott
    PA: Grand jury says shooter acted in self-defense
    New Zealand: Colleague of slain dairy worker wants staff armed
    Last edited: Jun 5, 2006
  10. LIKTOSHOOT

LIKTOSHOOT Advanced Senior Member

First, I doubt the gas stealer will be set for life.....or even close. Where would the money come from???? Some pie in the sky home-owners policy worth millions in pay out???? HARDLEY!

Now when you set limits on when and when you cannot defend/SHOOT someone, you enter a slippery slope. Much like the old school liberal......he had a knife and you shot him....you could have winged him OR taken it away. I wonder how many people are taking the dirt nap, because of this logic??? Of course a knife isn`t lethal, it will only cut you-no need to shoot them.

You wanna take the chance of stealing or robbing someone, you need to be prepared to suffer the rath.

Here in Texas, we can shoot them even if they are trying to escape------READ; SHOOT THEM IN THE BACK

Everyone always wants to value the criminal and give them more rights than someone who works for what they have, then must suffer to defend and ruin their life.

Like I said, shoot twice----and learn to do it good.

LTS
  11. southernshooter

southernshooter New Member

If they we're crazy enough to steal his gas they we're carzy enough to have a gun so I would be in fear for my life as was the guy
  12. ibtrukn

ibtrukn New Member

Yooze eva hera CASTLE DOCTRINE????It should be the LAW OF THE LAND not just a few states. dummie swampangel gottit rite............ :cool:
  13. M95

M95 New Member

i wouldnt limit it to 2 shots, w/e it takes to kill em really
    i was brought up that thievery (specifically) should result in death! :mad:
    i would of shot all three of em in the face/chest area

... given the chance
  14. southernshooter

southernshooter New Member

IB thnk god wegot it hur n mssippi
  15. ibtrukn

ibtrukn New Member

Yar S/S I herd dat. an useit !!!!!!!! :cool: