What does it cost/take to build/open a gun range?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Doug.38PR, Sep 13, 2012.

1. Double D

Double D Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

First steps would be zoning. You may come up against a brick wall in your city/county. It would be a shame to purchase a tract of land that isnt zoned for what your intending to do. You will need to work with your local zoning office. You might be able to re-zone a piece of land but that takes time and effort and isnt always successful. Someone said check with the NRA. They do offer insurance for ranges but they have to be set up to their specifications. Not sure about the indoor range. Like ozo said, there are so many hurdles to jump with the EPA and zoning it can be a daunting task. I have seen several folks opt out of the range all together because of the costs and hassles they were facing. If you are dealing with a liberal local government, you may need a good lawyer to break thru whats real and what they interpret as law. If you choose to follow thru, please keep us posted and good luck, you are going to need it.
    Last edited: Sep 18, 2012
  2. Doug.38PR

Doug.38PR Member

I think I'm going to shoot for (no pun intended) an outdoor range. 1) it's probably cheaper and thus more affordable to people in the town, 2) it's better suited for longer ranges for people with rifles, 3) it sounds like less hurdles to jump through
  3. Blackshirts

Blackshirts Well-Known Member

Outdoor ranges are all I go to. Do some research with the city. You might be able to get some financial help if you allow local authorities to use it for training. Check with the Game and Fish Department. They run a huge range here and might be of help as well.

There is always the DHS. They are going to need somewhere to dispense those 1 BILLION rounds of ammunition. Because, of course, they were only ordered for training purposes.
  4. BETH

BETH Well-Known Member

where do u live?
  5. ozo

ozo Well-Known Member

Outdoor ranges support their own hurdles.....
    Liberals see that as bullets flying thru the air......
    without proper containment !
    Please don't misunderstand me, I am all for
    you getting yet another range open to shoot the
    guns at.....that are.....
    OUR RIGHT TO KEEP AND .........
  6. ozo

ozo Well-Known Member

Oh, I have a ? for you Doug,
    why don't you list your location ?
    [see, mine says Nashville...]
    [just a personal pet peeve]
    Last edited: Sep 18, 2012
  7. Doug.38PR

Doug.38PR Member

With all the lunatics on the internet, I'd rather not be found. But it's no big deal. I just added my general location. I live in the country out in the parish so I can shoot on my own property. About 12 years ago (a few years before Sept 11, 2001 happened) the town had a gun range by the little airport. They shut it down because they were going to extend the runway and they were afraid planes would get shot at. It was run by the city and had an old deputy out there running the place. Then they shut it down. That affected everybody. Lot of people in town who like to shoot and hunt who miss the range. The city police and parish sheriff's dept all have to drive 30 miles away to the next parish to qualify and practice. I think there is a market for a range in Bastrop.
    Last edited: Sep 23, 2012
  8. ozo

ozo Well-Known Member

I'm all for you gettin' it open......
    Location thing just always 'got me'
    as people don't put it, and for the reason you gave,
    then are on the electronic stream of the world that any
    wannabe hacker could easily get your IP.......
    just wondering, that's all.
    Ain't no thing.....as I am contemplating removing myself
    completely off of any of this anyhow.......
  9. Doug.38PR

Doug.38PR Member

just got a lot of good information e mailed to me by the NRA. ordered a book on the subject, got a list of to-dos. (their conferences for this sort of thing are kind of far. One's in Virginia, one's in California. A bit far for me.
  10. BETH

BETH Well-Known Member

we had a few problems with members at my place and did not want to go by the rules so now they have everyone signing a waiver when u join? We had one guy that was a member putting up nude pictures of women to shoot at the president got a hold of him told him he could not do that he said he was a member could do anything he wanted ect? Also the range i belong to u can go and shoot by yourself most of the ranges in Ct. have a rule two people must be present to shoot?
  11. BlackEagle

BlackEagle Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Last edited: Sep 19, 2012
  12. Doug.38PR

Doug.38PR Member

I was thinking more of having customers come and pay to shoot instead of a shooting club. And rules (both safety and decent behavior) will be observed and enforced. This is going to be a place for families to come and shoot 8 hours a day. Range officer/manager will be present at all times to enforce.