The Firearms Forum banner

What does your reloading bench look like

125K views 401 replies 129 participants last post by  Kweeksdraw 
#1 · (Edited)
Howdy Gents

I just thought it would be fun to see what all your reloading benches look like, so lets see some pictures, I'm been thinking of making a new one and thought this would be a great way to see what the rest of you are doing for a reloading bench and where you do it. :confused:

tEN wOLVES :D

#3 ·
Good advice LD, and I agree that bolting especially a lighter work bench to the wall would make a more solid bench to work on. Thanks for your input.

How about the rest of you loaders out there, what is your input on this , and lets see some pictures of your setup.

#5 ·
Mine is an old table that I used in my business to hold a copy machine. The table is made of light-gage sheet metal, has a shelf under the top, and it's on wheels. About 2'X3'

Yes, its too small, but I'm pressed for space. I solved the strength problem (the top is also light-gage sheet metal) by installing a 2x4 under the top and bolting the press though both the top and the 2x4. The whole thing probably doesn't weigh 20 lbs, yet its solid enough for everything that I do. It's nice to be able to wheel it around the house.

Needs a cup holder, though.

#6 ·
Contenderizer, Sounds like you have a handle on your situation, just goes to show you that we can make things work if we put our heads to it. Thanks for sharing

Deerlope, sorry about your mess, maybe you can get some aid for that.

tEN wOLVES

#7 ·
I have already posted regarding my reloading bench. Bought it at Home Depot for about $80-60" X 24". Took 5 minutes to assemble. Per LD's suggestion bolted it to the 2 X 4's in the wall-solid as a rock. Later screwed a solid-core door to the top to make it wider and even more solid. Used remnants of the door as mounts for my Loadmaster and Lee Classic Turret press. Found that 2" X 12" mounts started to split due to the torque of the Loadmaster. Here are the photos.

Attachments

#8 ·
Contenderizer, Sounds like you have a handle on your situation, just goes to show you that we can make things work if we put our heads to it. Thanks for sharing

Deerlope, sorry about your mess, maybe you can get some aid for that.

tEN wOLVES
I am going to get started today on building and ammo storage cabinet. I've been buying extra ammo whenever I see and and have the cash on me. Anything that has a flat surface is fair game. The actual bench is a very (hardwood) heavy bench with drawers. It does not move or shake when I use it.

#9 ·
Vigilante, you have a nice set up there, it looks like you're ready to load just about anything you want, I like the shelves above, and the storage underneath your bench, you got a bench that fits your needs real well, do you stand or sit while you reload? thanks for sharing Pard.

tEN wOLVES

Howdy Deerlope

Good luck with your project, and let us see when you finish.

Come on guys lets see what the rest of you have for a loading bench, I know I and the rest of these Gents would really like to see how you have your bench and where you have it.

tEN wOLVES

#10 ·
I built my bench on a Rockler router table leg set, with heavy duty locking casters. It is only about 18 x 24", but since I can roll it around, I can use all four sides. Small bench vise mounted on one corner, co-ax press mounted on opposite end. It stows in the laundry room when not being used. I just roll it out when I need it. Loaded up with brass, bullets, powder and tools on the lower shelves, it is very solid with the casters locked.

Andy

#11 ·
Howdy Andy

That's a great idea, I haven't been to Rocklers in a while now, I know they also have a lot parts and gadgets one could use to build a nice loading bench, but in your case you have a portable loading table, and it sounds like it works out just fine for you and your wife, I envy you guys that load inside your homes, me myself and I have to keep it out in my work shop, don't get me wrong I love my shop, but when it gets cold out there it tends to drive me inside, I have 1100 sq.ft. which is too hard to heat.
Thanks for your great idea Andy.

Keep these great ideas and pictures coming Guys

tEN wOLVES

#13 ·
Hello Vigilante,

I tried standing when I first started loading over 20 years ago, but found it much more enjoyable by sitting, it seemed like I could concentrate better when sitting, and when I got tired of sitting I knew it was time to take a break.

tEN wOLVES

#15 ·
TranterUK, It looks like you could use a loading bench for loading ammo ONLY TOO, I like your picture, I think I see a loading press in there , you know it's sad but true, I think there are probably more pards that have loading benches likeyours, than nice neat ones, mine is cluttered too , and thats why this post, I'm looking for ideas for a solid usable neat loading bench, which will be used just for reloading.....

tEN wOLVES

G
#16 · (Edited)
My work bench is like my life, cluttered and busy with lots going on at the same time. I have given up trying to be organised.

Yes, I do use the bench for more than one thing, among other things I work as an artist. Many's the time I used a painting brush on a gun or die.

#17 ·
Here's my bench, I welded this up, and gave it a little kick with the diamond plate, the top is 5/16 plate steel with a stained plywood cap. It's a little compact so I can park vehicles in the garage and still work..:D

Furniture Table Desk Room Workbench

Machine Furniture Room Table Interior design

#18 ·
tEN wOLVES,

I don't reload for long periods of time so haven't felt the need for sitting at this time. I take a lot of breaks and also have a lot of time on my hands (semi-retired) so have a lot of time to devote to reloading. I think my bench would be the answer to your situation-plenty of room on top and storage on bottom. Add a solid-core door to the top and you have even more room.

#19 · (Edited)
Hello 312Shooter

Nicely done, you sure took care of your space problem, that's a heavy well built unit, and should satisfy your needs real well I like the way you put the diamond plate on it, it looks great and really adds the necessary weight you would need with a small bench like this. thanks for sharing with us Pard.

tEN wOLVES

Hello Vigilante

I know where you're coming from I'm fully retired, and have lots of time to do things now, and I love every minute of it, I think your bench would work out just fine, only I think I need one that will be 8' long x 36or40" deep x 36" high, I have one like this I built years back and it's free standing , and it is plenty heavy, you can't move it until you remove a lot of whats in it, I share this bench with my leather making/wood working/ reloading now and want to make a loading and gun bench only bench, which will be against the corner wall, I want to put shelves or shallow wall cabinets, to store all things related. and at this point of the game, I like a nice seat to sit in while I load, just getting lazy don't ya know, but after standing at work for 45 years, I think I deserve to do some sitting now, ( LOL ) I guess what I'm trying to do is get all the different ways to go about it with this bench.

tEN wOLVES

#21 ·
tEN wOLVES,

That's easy enough to fix. Bolt two of mine together and screw 2 solid-core doors to the top cut to your liking. The bench is already 36" high. This will give you a 10' bench which should be long enough for everything you have-maybe? You will have all of the storage beneath the two benches to boot.

#22 ·
Thanks Vigilante

Good point, I'll have to check that out to see if 10' would work out, seems a guy can never have enough bench space, you said you got yours from Home Depot right, I could also make it deeper by adding 40"x8' plywood to it also, but you know for what the kit would cost I would be money ahead to just build it from scratch. I think I'll go see what Home Depot has, and if they still have that kit you have. Thanks for suggestions Pal.

tEN wOLVES

#23 ·
Hello Vigilante

I checked with our home depot, and they didn't know what I was talking about, if you have a bar code or product # I would appreciate it, these guys said they didn't have anyway to look it up without one.

Come the rest of you loaders lets see what you have and how you make it work for you.

Thanks

tEN wOLVES

#24 ·
I must admit that having seen TranterUK's workbench I have a renewed respect for our good friends across the pond. No wonder the Germans couldn't conquer England; the Brits can overcome any adversity!

I'll bet you 5 quid that at least one of those paint brushes is also used to measure the OAL of a British 303.

Cheers, Tranter, and have a prosperous 2009!

#25 ·
I must admit that having seen TranterUK's workbench I have a renewed respect for our good friends across the pond. No wonder the Germans couldn't conquer England; the Brits can overcome any adversity!

I'll bet you 5 quid that at least one of those paint brushes is also used to measure the OAL of a British 303.

Cheers, Tranter, and have a prosperous 2009!
LOL Contenderizer :D

And likewise you have a great New Year too

tEN wOLVES :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.