The Firearms Forum banner

What does your reloading bench look like

125K views 401 replies 129 participants last post by  Kweeksdraw 
#1 · (Edited)
Howdy Gents

I just thought it would be fun to see what all your reloading benches look like, so lets see some pictures, I'm been thinking of making a new one and thought this would be a great way to see what the rest of you are doing for a reloading bench and where you do it. :confused:

tEN wOLVES :D

#28 ·
Thomas, how do you keep everything from falling off the table with the table nailed to the wall like that? I'm surprised you did not get scratched up by the cat when you put glue on his ass and stuck him to the wall. Good luck getting him down without losing an eye. You are a brave man.

#29 ·
Howdy All :)

I just thought I would let you know what I've decided to do, I really appreciate all of your input on this new loading bench project, and will use some of these ideas for my new one, I decided to go with the 2x4 Basics, you can check out the link below, I'm recovering from torn rotator cuff surgery on my right shoulder, so I thought this would be an easy way to build what I want, insted of using one 3/4" slab of plywood for the top, I will use two, with the very top one being a HARD WOOD PLYWOOD, the other shelves will be 3/4" plywood, which should give me a solid outfit, but to make it better I will fasten it to the wall, the 2x4 Basics kits enable you to make your bench any size you want, based on the length of the 2x4, you can see there full line of products at www.2x4basics.com take a look see , this might be something that you might be interested in too. I will post pictures when the bench is finished. the link below is to the reloading bench that another customer made, it looks real good.

http://www.2x4basics.com/show_photo.asp?photo_number=84

#30 ·
Howdy All :)

I just thought I would let you know what I've decided to do, I really appreciate all of your input on this new loading bench project, and will use some of these ideas for my new one, I decided to go with the 2x4 Basics, you can check out the link below, I'm recovering from torn rotator cuff surgery on my right shoulder, so I thought this would be an easy way to build what I want, in sted of using one 3/4" slab of plywood for the top, I will use two, with the very top one being a HARD WOOD PLYWOOD, the other shelves will be 3/4" plywood, which should give me a solid outfit, but to make it better I will fasten it to the wall, the 2x4 Basics kits enable you to make your bench any size you want, based on the length of the 2x4, you can see there full line of products at www.2x4basics.com take a look see , this might be something that you might be interested in too. I will post pictures win the bench is finished. the link below is to the reloading bench that another customer made, it looks real good.

http://www.2x4basics.com/show_photo.asp?photo_number=84

#31 ·
tEN wOLVES,

That's a bench I am familiar with since I built one myself-sitting on my back porch. Built a 4' X 6' for storage and general purpose. I wasn't into reloading when I bought it and it was too big for the bedroom I am using. Good luck with your project!!! Getting those middle and bottom shelves in by yourself is a PIA-get some help when you get to that part.

#32 ·
I took an old tabletop & built a frame & shelves to mount it on. Compact but sturdy. We have actually had 3 of us all using the 650's & the Rockchucker all at the same time. All sitting.

I mounted wheels on the lower end & made a little dolly. When I step down on the dolly, it lowers the wheels to engage the floor. Then I can move it around the Garage as necessary.

Attachments

#33 ·
Hello Vigilante

I'll need help for sure setting in the shelves, but I think this set up will give me what I want, and it should be plenty solid .

Thanks for your reply Pard

Hello Bruce

That's a sharp set up you have there, you wouldn't think that many press would work that close together, but I can see the way you have it set up it would work fine, just goes to show what a guy can come up with when the need arises, WELL DONE , and thanks for sharing with us.

tEN wOLVES :cool:

#34 ·
I just recently had to move my reloading bench from my home to this room I built upstairs in my office because my two year old little boy just wouldn't leave it alone. It is 4'x6' and about 3" thick. It is made of wood laminate somewhat like butcher board. It is bolted to a steel frame and it is heavy enough that it doesn't move around even when loading for 50 BMG.

Attachments

#36 ·
Howdy Muddober

Nice toys Pard, so do you think you will have enough room in this toy box for your loading bench. ( LOL ), Lets see that loading bench, sounds nice.

tEN wOLVES

#38 ·
GDMoody and Rusty

Looks like you guys got a lot going on, on these loading benches, the benches them selves look to be very solid and well built, looks like you might have bolted the bench to the wall which really helps stabilize a bench, thanks to both of you for sharing your set up with all of us, those peanuts look pretty good.

tEN wOLVES

#40 ·
Hello Terry P

I like your sanctuary this is what I'm looking to achieve in my shop, I like the way you have everything arranged, and put away, everything is where you can see it and get your hands on, you even have a trophy wall, this is just my kind of place, hopefully I can get mine to work as good as yours. Thanks for sharing this picture.

tEN wOLVES

#41 · (Edited)
Terry P's set up is close to mine. My bench top is tall enough that I can stand and work, but I have a tall draftsman chair with wheels and footrest
It's 2' x 6' on one side and 16" x 4' on the other. I have a 2' x 3' window centered on the bigger wall with adj. shelves between the window and the wall.
On the other wall I have peg board and a cabinet that I keep all my dies and toolheads in. In the lower right of the pic you'll see plastic containers. These are full of my little brass childrens.;) :D
This is my only pic. Guaranteed to kill roaches and scare small children. :eek: :D

Art

Attachments

G
#42 ·
Hey Art

I would have to say we take joint first prize, if there was one. The fact that either of us can find anything is clearly a testament to our superior abilities!

I mean look at some of there guys benches, there is no challenge in getting anything done on them. :)

#43 ·
Hey Art

I would have to say we take joint first prize, if there was one. The fact that either of us can find anything is clearly a testament to our superior abilities!

I mean look at some of there guys benches, there is no challenge in getting anything done on them. :)
Martin, I might not see it, but I sure as hell know were it is. What gives me grief is when I clean and straighten everything up. THATS when I can't find anything. :D
I tend to work better in clutter, it matches whats inside my cranium. ;) :D

Art

#45 ·
Terry P's set up is close to mine. My bench top is tall enough that I can stand and work, but I have a tall draftsman chair with wheels and footrest
It's 2' x 6' on one side and 16" x 4' on the other. I have a 2' x 3' window centered on the bigger wall with adj. shelves between the window and the wall.
On the other wall I have peg board and a cabinet that I keep all my dies and toolheads in. In the lower right of the pic you'll see plastic containers. These are full of my little brass childrens.;) :D
This is my only pic. Guaranteed to kill roaches and scare small children. :eek: :D

Art
Your set up is something like what I have now, sort of a mix of things, but it sounds like you know where everything is, I'm the same way, I've had things that way so long, but I still no where things are when I need them. When I get this new bench built, and everything put away where I think it's supposed to go, that's when the challenge will come in ," WHERE DID I PUT THAT" This will be the part that will take some getting used to, but it will be nice to have some area that isn't cluttered up with stuff.

Thanks for sharing

tEN wOLVES

#48 · (Edited)
Hello Terry P

I like your sanctuary this is what I'm looking to achieve in my shop, I like the way you have everything arranged, and put away, everything is where you can see it and get your hands on, you even have a trophy wall, this is just my kind of place, hopefully I can get mine to work as good as yours. Thanks for sharing this picture.

tEN wOLVES
I try to keep it neat as I feel that is the best way to avoid mistakes in the process. The old bench used to be just a work bench and the whole area evolved into a reloading area once I took it up. Funny how that happens. The bench with the metallic equipment is covered with the bench tops they sell at Home Depot. They are supported underneath with side by side 2x10 (Can't remember if it's 10's or 12's as I'm where it's warm and sunny and not in NH) ledgered and braced to the wall. It gives good solid support. It is high enough to stand and I also have a stool with good back support. Underneath the bench are more shelves for brass, empty boxes, shotshell components etc. Behind it (out of the picture) there is a large open shelf that was made to hold individual coffee mugs for the employees of the company I retired from, that I salvaged from a building that was being demo'ed. It was made in a first rate manner so I use it to store the loaded ammo by caliber on one side and you name it in the other 65 or so spaces on the rest.

Use your own ideas and adapt it to your needs as you develop your own area. The main thing is to be safe first and have fun at a great hobby.

#49 ·
I try to keep it neat as I feel that is the best way to avoid mistakes in the process. The old bench used to be just a work bench and the whole area evolved into a reloading area once I took it up. Funny how that happens. The bench with the metallic equipment is covered with the bench tops they sell at Home Depot. They are supported underneath with side by side 2x10 (Can't remember if it's 10's or 12's as I'm where it's warm and sunny and not in NH) ledgered and braced to the wall. It gives good solid support. It is high enough to stand and I also have a stool with good back support. Underneath the bench are more shelves for brass, empty boxes, shotshell components etc. Behind it (out of the picture) there is a large open shelf that was made to hold individual coffee mugs for the employees of the company I retired from, that I salvaged from a building that was being demo'ed. It was made in a first rate manner so I use it to store the loaded ammo by caliber on one side and you name it in the other 65 or so spaces on the rest.

Use your own ideas and adapt it to your needs as you develop your own area. The main thing is to be safe first and have fun at a great hobby.
Hello TerryP

Thanks for your reply, sounds like you and I think alike, I was taught at a young age to work neatly and always keep my work area neat and clean too, about 1980 I built a 8'x40"x36" high free standing work bench, it's a great bench, I added six drawers and a closed cabinet on the other side, I then realized by adding my loading press I would have trouble opening the drawers or the cabinet, so I stuck in the middle, which was fine and it worked out well,but then three years ago I got interested in leather work, so I've been sharing the bench with leather, wood work and loading, which is too much for a guy that likes to work clean and neat, and now I have a Hornaday LNL AP on order so I need a place for loading without all the other stuff, so the bench I'm going to make now will be 8'x36"x36" high, I'll be able to sit or stand at this bench too, this will be a loading and gun bench only, which will clean things up real well. Thanks for showing you neat and clean bench and loading area you did good Pard. :)

tEN wOLVES

#51 ·
Hello Oneounceload

Your set up looks real workable, and it looks to be a real solid unit, I like your shelving, the brackets for the shelves don't take up very much room, I had to look twice to see them. You say you need another 4/8' of space, I've come to the understanding that we work shop aholics never have enough horizontal area, in my shop I have a 4x4' bench, a 3x6',a 12'x2', a 8'x40" and now I'm going to make a 8'x36"x36", so you can see what I mean, some day I'll get it all the way I want it, but really I have no complaints,I realy like my work shop, just always striving to make things better.

Thanks for sharing Oneounceload, were getting a nice selection of benches and work areas and how others are doing things and the material they're using :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.