The Firearms Forum banner

What does your reloading bench look like

125K views 401 replies 129 participants last post by  Kweeksdraw 
#1 · (Edited)
Howdy Gents

I just thought it would be fun to see what all your reloading benches look like, so lets see some pictures, I'm been thinking of making a new one and thought this would be a great way to see what the rest of you are doing for a reloading bench and where you do it. :confused:

tEN wOLVES :D

#78 · (Edited)
....I was wondering about the dimensions of your rails......have found the website to order them but have not a clue as to what the height and width of those would be.
80/20 extrusion I used is 1"H X 2"W X 36"L. You can use an end cap which will keep all the t-nuts intact or remove it to slide accessories in from the end. My bench top was thick enough to allow routing a trough for flush mount, bolts come up from the bottom into t-nuts to secure rail to bench. Mounting plates are 1/2" thick high density plastic with counter bored holes to recess the bolt heads.

#80 ·
That's one heck of a set-up Rembrandt. May I use some of your ideas on my future bench?

Here are a couple of pics of the benches I'm getting from work. The maintenance department is cleaning out their shop and they've given me three benches and some big warehouse shelving. They are nothing fancy, but good solid benches and free is a very good price. I just need to figure out how to get it all home now.

I'm going to use the smaller for my primary reloading bench and the larger for mostly a work bench but also for loading and gun work. I'm hoping to have the shelves set up, garage all cleaned up and benches in within the next month or so. I'll update the project and provide some more pictures as it progresses.

Attachments

#81 ·
Hello there USMC-03

WOW you're a lucky guy, those benches luck really good, strong and sturdy, and should make you a nice set up for your reloading , and enough room to work on your guns on the long bench, be sure to post lots of pictures when you get your loading area all together, I'll look forward to seeing it, this thread I started has turned into a really good source of information and good ideas,
Thanks to all of you that have contributed and posted pictures of your Man Caves.

:D tEN wOLVES :cool:

#82 · (Edited)
Rembrandt: Great job, I like it !! Let's see some more pics.
You've seen pretty much all of it, but here's a few more. Key to keeping it clean is having plenty of storage. Components are kept in drawers and cabinets. Shop vac is hidden beneath benches, air compressor is in another room. To maximize space the computer is also in another room....only the screen and keyboard are in the loading room. Roll cabinets pull out if more bench area is required. Loaders are stored in another room till needed. (2) Benches, (4) roll cabinets, (2) stools) were all purchased from Sams Club.

Everything can be moved in a matter of minutes, nothing is permanently built in except the gun rack. Can add different accessories to the bench track system like a cleaning station or vise.

Feel free to use any ideas that might help....I've borrowed plenty of tips from others.

#84 ·
I am jealous rembrandt. you are probably the one of the better equipped reloaders in existence, and highly organized. I have an artists approach to reloading whereas i get started and things literally fly off the shelves and out of the drawers and sit wherever they end up getting tossed. And it gets worse when i do gun work...:eek::eek:

#85 ·
Ten Wolves Thanx for the link that is a great site which will be very usefull! You have started a thread that has a lot of great ideas and insight. Hopefully this will keep going for future reloaders to see. :cool:

Rembrandt Thank you for replying to my post and Ten Wolves is right, you really know how to run a class AAA reloading setup. I am thinking of using one of the new netbook computers for recording all of my reloading data. That way it is small & portable since my work area is getting built in my shop. Also thank you for allowing me to use your idea since I didn't actually ask! Sorry! :eek:

USMC-03 Those look like some really great benches with quite a bit of storage. Those should make for a really great reloading/gun maintence setup. I work construction & always try to pick up any shelves or cabinets somebody may be getting rid of. I think my bench is going to be made out of an old Phenolic counter top that was demoed off a job we did. Approximately 8' x 30" and is nonconductive.:cool:

As for my own setup I am trying to get my shop cleaned out so I can pour concrete. Once thats done I will be ready to rock & roll! Enough rambling but thank you guys for all the help & great info. Can't wait to see more.

#87 ·
Way to go 308, like I said earlier if you want to load bad enough you will come up with a way to do it, and now you have involved your wife, and you know she will be thinking of ways to get you out of her living room, wives DO NOT WANT US LOADING OR DOING ANYTHING WE LIKE IN THEIR LIVING ROOM, I have found that my wife has some great ideas, you might end up with your own room out of this ( LOL ), anyway good luck to you on your loading bench and work area, and I hope all goes well at the range tomorrow.
PS you have a GOOD WOMAN there....;)

#89 ·
Howdy Bob

I see your a Cowboy Action Shooter Too, me too, it's a lot of fun but you can burn up a lot of ammo too, I think for the most part most of us CA Shooters are loading our own stuff now, especially sense the price of ammo has gone to the roof.
You have a nice area to load in with enough room to not feel cramped.

Thanks for sharing, we like pictures :)

#90 ·
tEN wOLVES, Thanks for the comment. Sure burn up alot of ammo in CAS. I wouldn't be able to afford it if I didn't reload. Not at the prices of 45LC any way. Set up my pogressive soley (sp?) for the CAS. Anything else is done on the single stage. 45-70 and what not. Enjoy, Bob

#91 ·
tEN wOLVES, Thanks for the comment. Sure burn up alot of ammo in CAS. I wouldn't be able to afford it if I didn't reload. Not at the prices of 45LC any way. Set up my pogressive soley (sp?) for the CAS. Anything else is done on the single stage. 45-70 and what not. Enjoy, Bob
Howdy Bob

I've been reloading on my RCBS Rock Chucker, since the 80's, and find it to be a strong and precise press, but slow when you need to get a lot of rounds made, so I've ordered a Hornady Lock-N-Load AP, I haven't received it yet , it's been on order since December, but I'm really looking forward loading on a progressive. I'll continue to use my RC, for 45/70 and other rifle calibers.
I hope you have a good season pard, this Cowboy Action Shooting is a lot of fun for sure.

#93 ·
Go Advanced, manage attachments and upload from your computer or the internet, close the popup window after the files have successfully uploaded and post your message.

#95 ·
Howdy Rockchucker :)

Nice set up Pard, you have it all together and looks to be very workable, having a book case is real handy, I'm working on finding a better spot for mine, I have my books here and there and everywhere, your bench is a good size for the space you have , it looks like it's on steroids, and should be solid as heck, ( LOL ) I take it this is a room in your home, which is nice if your in a State that has cold weather I have all my stuff in my shop, but there are times when it gets cold or really hot , that working in the house sounds real good.

Thanks for stopping in and sharing with us, we're getting a nice collection of reloading benches and work area's.:)

#98 ·
Heres my reloading shop I built a few years ago, nothing fancy but it's organized and workable, I put out a lot of quality ammo here.. Hope you guys like it. View attachment 22104

View attachment 22105

View attachment 22106
The other side of my shop is where I have a bench for cleaning repairing and gunsmithing.
I have a deck in the front of my shop I cast my slugs and bullets..
Tim
Howdy Shellback

I think you have a very work friendly loading area, finished or not you have made everything work for you, you have enough space to move around and not feel closed in, I see you have a Lyman Turret press, how do you like it, I'm thinking after I get my Hornady Lock-N-Load I might get a turret press to make loading my other calibers a little more handy, especially if I put a auto case loader on the Hornady.
Thanks for sharing Pard

tEN wOLVES:D

#99 ·
Ahh it's just a little shop I built in the back I'm not planning to cover the walls or finishing that, the only thing thats not finished is the rest of the loading I need to do ( thats not gonna happen anytime soon) I got another 20 years to go at least.:D. Thanks for looking
Tim

#100 ·
Ahh it's just a little shop I built in the back I'm not planning to cover the walls or finishing that, the only thing thats not finished is the rest of the loading I need to do ( thats not gonna happen anytime soon) I got another 20 years to go at least.:D. Thanks for looking
Tim
Will Tim I didn't mean that as a slam on the way it looked pard, it's fine just the way it is , the whole idea is how well it works for you, and I can see it's working out just fine for you, and one other thing, I hope you have a lot more than 20 years to go on loading, but either way at least you have plenty of time to do it.:)

Best Regards

Rod

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.