The Firearms Forum banner

What does your reloading bench look like

125K views 401 replies 129 participants last post by  Kweeksdraw 
#1 · (Edited)
Howdy Gents

I just thought it would be fun to see what all your reloading benches look like, so lets see some pictures, I'm been thinking of making a new one and thought this would be a great way to see what the rest of you are doing for a reloading bench and where you do it. :confused:

tEN wOLVES :D

#178 ·
I have expanded from 3 calibers to 9 calibers since my last post in October.(Pg. 5 #120) I had to heighten my backboard and put shelves on the back. But I still do it all on a portable cart so I can move my reload bench wherever I want. So far I have reloaded in the backyard, livingroom, and the garage. I keep it in the game room mostly though.

Attachments

#181 ·
Now that almost 150 reloaders have viewed my bench, I was hoping someone would have recognized the three really unusual items as I can not identify (the turret press or the powder measure shown again below)...they came from two different people so they're not related but I can find no information on either...both are precision beyond any other reloading equipment I've ever seen, yet neither are marked. The press uses standard 7/8 14 dies, mounts to the side of the bench, and fully cycles both up AND down of the ram in one stroke of the operating handle (unlike any press I've seen). I've posted photos of it at other reloading websites, but nobody seems to recognize it.

Then this powder measure...which appears to be the grand pappy of the venerable Belding and Mull visible powder measure. It's marked "W D Barchman" and is considerably more robust than a B&M (which first appeared in 1929 or 30)...the sliding visible window block is made of cast iron where even the earliest B&M blocks are made of aluminum...the charge tube is interchangeable with a B&M drop tube and although it has a makers name, I can find nothing about it's maker/designer...there's no reference to Barchman or Belding or Mull (regarding powder measures) at nthe US patent office, the European patent office (esp@cenet), or the German patent office (depatisnet)...

Nobody seems to know who designed/invented the Belding & Mull measure even though at least three companies are currently producing this 80+ year old un-patent protected mechanism...you would think that the most accurate powder measure ever devised would be credited to someone...any leads would be greatly appreciated...thanks for looking

#182 · (Edited)
I posted pics of my bench I built earlier. Since then I made some modifications. The Madame says she bets I stop now because it's about to the ceiling..LOL. I added a 4' florescent shop light overhead and a 2" under the shelf I added between the bench and top shelving. The powder measure and Lee Load All II are mounted on boards so I can put them up out of the way when not using them.

Attachments

#185 ·
Quite a nice Blue family you have there Kelly!

#187 · (Edited)
GDMoody,
That is a Belding & Mull visible powder measure that has been altered into "trench art" of sorts...the quarter pound powder reservoir has been changed (anti aircraft shell) into a one pound reservoir...and the operating handle has been changed to the left side for right handed reloading....I am right handed and all the Belding & Mulls (my favorite powder measure for accuracy) are set up for left handed loaders...I actually converted two measures...the other is more like trench art but I prefer my second attempt with the Sanbar stag handles...I'll post a pic of the other for you to see...the operating handle is a blued copper hook that my cousin and I designed to take the least amount of bench space while still placing the handle in the desired location...now my right hand is free to carefully handle the drop tube for reading and spilling into the funnel (repeatedly) without dropping a kernel of powder along the way...the Belding and Mull powder measure is, in my opion, the best measure ever devised for handloading ...dual hoppers and dual visible inspection of each charge give it the ability to achieve top accuracy when used properly....they would be far more popular if they all were not set up for lefties...that's the reason I'm so interested in who designed it...I like to think I brought it a little closer to perfection (at least for me)...

#188 · (Edited)
Howdy All

When I started this thread, I had no idea the response I would get, you guys really Rock, and have shown us all some great ideas and methods to make reloading possible in what ever area we have to reload in.

So thanks to all of you that have join in and posted there pictures and shared their reloading room with us all.A mans cave is always something to be proud of.

Lets keep this going, we're not done until every one has posted there reloading bench and room.

Regards

tEN wOLVES

#191 ·
I converted a drive thru corncrib into a woodshop. I have always wanted to reload shotgun shells and my 45 LC at least. So when designing this woodshop, the Northwall was always dedicated to a bench and storage for guns and reloading equipment. Even though I have not muddled through all of the information on reloading as of yet enough to determine what specific reloader I want to purchase, just the bench for cleaning and storing my hunting clothes and mounting scopes has been beyond wonderful.

Floor Wood Wall Room Furniture

This is what the Northwall looked like this past September ('09).

Workshop

This is one of two of the shooting benches I bought from Sportsman's Guide (they are great!). This was taken after an outing out back double checking scopes and points of aim on any guns thought to be taken out during deer season.

Room Furniture Wall Wood Floor

Then I found some time to build this cabinet over the bench. It has two shelves full length behind the doors.

Furniture Room Cabinetry Shelf House

I don't know, another shaky photo of the bench after the cabinet was built and the bench has been used as can be seen by the stuff stacked everywhere!

I am going to learn to turn threads on a wooden dowel and make a wood nut as I want to build my own wooden gun vise. So I have a long ways to go to, but have made great strides this past summer. To the right of the cabinet is a four gun horizontal rack I cranked out one afternoon, it will soon come down so I can put a ten or twelve gun vertical rack in its place. Having a place for everything helps me keep from "wading" through stacks of stuff to find other stuff! Thanks for looking and for all of the great ideas. Shotgun reloaders, suggestions on equipment greatly appreciated!!!

#192 ·
Not the greatest of pics, I was relocating some things at the time. Note the great SeaGals calendar on the wall ! ;):cool::D

Attachments

#195 ·
Well I got a day off due to snow! So, took down the horizontal three gun rack I threw together during hunting season to keep some of the guns off of the floor. So, built a vertical gun rack today. Also UPS brought me a tool that I ordered to thread wooden dowels as well as make wooden nuts. I will be working on my new handmade gun vise soon. Here it is, any and all comments welcomed.

Room Wood Floor Hardwood Electrical wiring

Wood Antique tool

Yesterday was a snow day also, so I got five guns cleaned, oiled and put away. Turkey gun will be coming out soon! Oh, on my right when working at the gun bench, here is my East wall.

Horn Antler

I turn pens and things on my wood lathe, behind on my antler orders just a little!

Weasel Mink Stoat Ferret polecat

Yep, a badger. Protected here in Indiana unless they are killing livestock. Juvenile female, we call her Becky Badger. As always, thanks for looking.

#197 ·
I have a "Turret" bench, it's square and has a Lee, RCBS, and Bair single stages, Star Lubesizer, Dillon 550, Dillon Square Deal, Powder measure, scale, and trimmer mounted on all sides of it. I just turn the table to do whatever operation I need to do.

#198 · (Edited)
Hey everyone,

Thought I would post a few pics of my recently completed gun room and reloading bench at our new home. For the last 25 years or so I have been relegated to back corners and unused space in the garage but those days are behind me now and I have my very own man cave! I really enjoyed looking at what everyone else did with their reloading areas and I hope you enjoy looking at mine too.

Attachments

#199 ·
Hey everyone,

Thought I would post a few pics of my recently completed gun room and reloading bench at our new home. For the last 25 years or so I have been relegated to back corners and unused space in the garage but those days are behind me now and I have my very own man cave! I really enjoyed looking at what everyone else did with there reloading areas and I hope you enjoy looking at mine too.
Wow,nice. Has your wife noticed that shes missing a kitchen yet? Where's the machinery??

#200 · (Edited)
Wow,nice. Has your wife noticed that shes missing a kitchen yet? Where's the machinery??
The Lil' woman loves it actually!! We spend evenings downstairs in the adjoining rec-room and enjoy our home theater, she uses the microwave to make us popcorn while watching movies and such.

My reloading equipment is in the cabinets mounted on wooden blocks, that way it leaves the counter-top open when I'm not using it.

Thanks for viewing!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.