What Era of Military History do you like

Discussion in 'General Military Arms & History Forum' started by ysacres, Mar 7, 2003.

1. ysacres

ysacres Well-Known Member

polishshooter
    Senior Chief Moderator Staff
    (4/7/01 8:56:29 pm)
    Reply What era of American Military History do You Like
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    to read or hear about most?

I'll do this again for foriegn wars, but there was only limited choices...Sorry for the large "windows."

Just curious, and be sure to say why.
    Pre-Revolution, and Revolutionary, through Mexican War?
    Civil War through Philippine Insurrection?
    WWI and WWII?
    Korea/Vietnam?
    Gulf War to present?

Show results

Edited by: polishshooter at: 4/7/01 10:00:01 pm

polishshooter
    (4/7/01 9:05:46 pm)
    Reply Re: What era of American Military History do You Like
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I really like to read about them all, and it was tough picking between the World Wars and the Civil War.

Like Obelix said earlier, whatever I'm in the mood for at the time!

I seem to run in cycles. And sometimes it just depends on what good book I see to read. The only era I don't spend alot of time in is the Indian Wars...

I remember reading my first non-fiction book on WWII, Dad was a War II veteran, I loved the "Rat Patrol" and "Combat" as a kid, and it's stayed with me since.

The world has NEVER seen a war like that, and never will again. And you can't study War II without understanding War I...

Alphamale
    (4/8/01 12:17:33 am)
    I love to read about Vietnam for some reason. Have a lot of books on it, mostly LRP,LRRP,Rangers,Snipers,3rd Force Recon, and SEALs. There's just something about special warfare books. I do have a few books on line units, but don't read those as often as the others.

It's my favorite era because that's when specops was really starting to grow into what it is today. It started in WWI or earlier, but seems to me Vietnam was were it all really started coming together.
    If guns are outlawed, can we use swords?

Xracer
    (4/8/01 7:50:13 am)
    Since I'm from New England, the whole span of American history since the first white settlers landed in 1620 (yeah, I know about St. Augustine, but that was down south).

The Hartford, CT area was settled by a group led by Thomas Hooker (there's that name again) in 1636, and there are a bunch of homes built in the 1630's & 40's that are still being lived in.

Some friends of my parents bought a farm in Bolton, CT that was built in the 1720's and was the scene of a skirmish during the Revolutionary War. Rochambeau's line of march from Newport, RI to Yorktown came right thru the farm property, and a patrol of his troops met a British/Tory patrol there. There are sabre slashes on the stair bannister and some bullet holes in the wall (now patched....but you can see where they were).

When I was a kid, I used to get hay fever pretty bad. I used to have to go get shots for it every month. The doctor's name was Dr. E. Miles Standish.....a direct relation of guess who?

Plymouth rock, Old North Church, Bunker (Breed's) Hill, Lexington, Concord......all there for you to see! If you like early American history, ya gotta LOVE New England!

polishshooter
    (4/8/01 10:51:07 am)
    Hey X, from your reply, you must have voted for the first one, so why didn't it register? Is there something wrong with the poll?

Xracer
    (4/8/01 10:33:56 pm)
    Polish, I didn't vote for any, 'cause I can't vote for all!

I love ALL history........not just military history, and I love history of all ages. It's just that pre-Revolutionary and Revolutionary War History are a little closer and more personal where I grew up in Connecticut.

So much to learn, so little time!

"The only thing new is the history you don't know"........Harry S. Truman

polishshooter
    (4/8/01 11:12:44 pm)
    Yeah X, I hear you.

I got into Ed Eckert when I first read the "Frontiersman", and read alot of his other books.

It's kind of neat living in the old Shawnee territory like I have in Southern Ohio/Eastern IN for the past 20 years. I crossed into WVA at Point Pleasant Thursday, and felt it again...I drive all the time all around all the places Tecumseh, Simon Kenton, Daniel Boone, and Blue Jacket walked, lived, and fought...and where "Mad Anthony" Wayne campaigned...

His books read like a novel, but are all fact...

And his earlier ones about the French/Indian Wars were neat too, wish I read them when I grew up in WNY, in Iroquois Territory, or when I went to college and worked in the Southern Tier of NY, and had many friends that were Seneca.

But they did a good job in NY, we had to learn all about Cornplanter and such, all about the Iroquois Confederacy in 7th and 8th grade...

Xracer
    (4/9/01 7:59:55 am)
    Gee Polish...isn't it wonderful to live where history was made, and to walk in the footsteps of those who made it.

I was on Lexington Green exactly 200 years after the battle......there was going to be a reenactment of "The Battle on Lexington Green" on the afternoon of April 19, 1976, and I'd been hired by the Massachusetts Mutual Insurance Co. (their logo is the "minuteman") to get some pictures of it.

I drove up the day before and went to check out the location. For those of you unfamiliar with the site, Lexington Green looks much as it did back in 1776....particularly on the north and east sides. The Tavern (where the militia gathered before the battle) and the homes there are exactly as they were then.

I decided to be there at dawn the next day to get some pix of the sun rising over the houses, dew on the grass, etc.

It was still dark when I arrived. I was the only one there. The sun rose as I stood on the green, and I could hear in my mind the words of Capt. John Parker, "Stand your ground men. Don't fire unless fired upon....but if they mean to have a war, then let it begin here!" I could almost hear the shots and smell the powder.

What an eerie feeling......200 years ago, to the MINUTE, American patriots died here in the first battle for our independence. The small hairs on the back of my neck stood up, and tears came to my eyes.

Later in the day, I got some nice pix of the parades, the bands, the battle reenactment and all the speeches and hoopla....but that was all anticlimatic to what I'd experienced that morning.

To have stood there in the dawn light....to have seen Lexington Green exactly as THEY saw it....what an experience!

obelix2
    (4/9/01 8:13:24 pm)
    I guess Miles Standish must have given up and married somebody else. After reading these evocative accounts of early American History, I decided to give that poor lonesome circle a vote.

Originally I wasn't going to vote either until Polish DID order one of those Florida machines, because this one wouldn't let me vote the first four choices.

My more selfish reason for voting there was that it included the Mexican War, apparently the one-we-want-most-to-forget. I don't recall too much hoopla during the sesquicentennial a few years back.

Here's a home-made poll of my own (no circles). The Mexican War has been swept under the carpet because:

1) It is a good candidate for our most unjust war.
    2) We live next door to those guys and have to get along.
    3) Its underlying purpose was the acquisition of territory for the expansion of slavery.
    4) It is ultimately responsible for the presence of Barbara Boxer and Dianne Feinstein in the US Senate.
    5) Scott's progress from Veracruz to Mexico City was NOT one of the most brilliant campaigns since Cortes did the same thing in 1519. (BTW there's no statue of Cortes in Mexico City, either)

polishshooter
    (4/9/01 8:58:18 pm)
    Actually, isn't it because that the Mexicans just "faded away" after we beat them and didn't even have the common courtesy to SURRENDER to us? Heck, we had to install a whole new government just so they could officially give up. Which was just another "Gringo sponsored" government to overthrow when we left...

Scotts campaign WAS pretty brilliant in a 18th Century Napoleonic way, and at the time made military attaches from all over the world sit up and take notice. It really was the first time we flexed our muscles internationally with a professional army. Taylor got all the Press at home because of his wild battles that he almost lost, with "Militia" or States troops,, and took so many casualties, while Scott performed a difficult opposed amphibious landing, and flawlessly maneuvered his forces, forcing the Mexicans to retreat until he CHOSE to fight them and beat them. That was probably the LAST campaign fought in the "old way."

There were reports all over the world that "Scott was lost," "Scott is doomed," that it surprised everyone when he GOT his army to Mexico City, much less fought and won.

Plus just about every CW general on both sides fought together pretty valiantly in Mexico.

I love reading about the "Flying Batteries," and the Hall rifles and carbines...

That war and the SA war just BEGS for more research...

obelix2
    (4/9/01 9:37:42 pm)
    The whole thing gets complicated because they kicked Santa Anna out of the presidency -- not for the first and not for the last time. What a career!

Sidebar: There's a never-made case for giving the Mexicans a lot of the credit for preserving the Union by beating the French at Puebla on May 5, 1862. Since this is the only important Mexican victory over a foreign enemy, it gets a lot of play down there. But what if the French had won, and Napoleon III's troops had been sitting on the Texas border in the summer of 1862?

17th FA Bn
    (4/26/01 7:13:40 am)
    I find WW II history the most interesting. You had every conceivable type of warafare. Special ops (Rangers, Commandos Airborne) Large naval engagements, both surface and carrier vs. carrier. Sweeping ground action, the 1st real use of air power (WW I planes were almost toys).

Civil War and WW I history are very depressing. Thousands of lives thrown away to gain just yards. Attack after attack against stone walls that gained nothing. It is hard to concieve of how the soldiers were able to carry on.

World War II had it's share of follies. Torpedos that wouldn't work because of cheap firing pins. Bomber crews sent in to face enemy fighters without fighter cover of their own. U.S. Infantry Divisions dragging around 57mm anti-tank guns in 1945 that were already ineffective in 1943. Sherman tanks carring 75mm guns when they could have had much more effective 76mm because "tanks don't fight tanks". The German general staff not getting rid of Hitler in late 1944 when it was clear the war was lost, but there may have been a chance for negotiated peace.

W.W. II triaumphs. The best U.S. divisions were the best in the world man for man. If the 82nd & 101st airborne plus the 1st infantry and 3rd armored were in a corp together with supporting artillery and p-47's over them they could have beatten the whole German army by them selves. I can't wait to see HBO's adaption of Steven Ambrose's "Band of Brother's". This is the story of one company of the 101st Airborne. It is the best W.W. II book i have ever read.

17th FA Bn
    (4/26/01 7:16:56 am)
    Please excuse my previous reply, I hit reply instead of spell check. I meant to clean up the spelling and grammar before submission.

17th FA Bn
    (4/26/01 7:35:12 am)
    I find WW II history the most interesting. You had every conceivable type of warfare. Special ops (Rangers, Commandos Airborne) Large naval engagements, both surface and carrier vs. carrier. Sweeping ground action, the 1st real use of air power (WW I planes were almost toys).

Civil War and WW I history are very depressing. Thousands of lives thrown away to gain just yards. Attack after attack against stone walls that gained nothing. It is hard to conceive of how the soldiers were able to carry on.

World War II had it's share of follies. Torpedos that wouldn't work because of cheap firing pins. Bomber crews sent in to face enemy fighters without fighter cover of their own. U.S. Infantry Divisions dragging around 57mm anti-tank guns in 1945 that were already ineffective in 1943. Sherman tanks carrying 75mm guns when they could have had much more effective 76mm because "tanks don't fight tanks". The German general staff not getting rid of Hitler in late 1944 when it was clear the war was lost, but there may have been a chance for negotiated peace.

W.W. II triumphs. The best U.S. divisions were the best in the world man for man. If the 82nd

TYRVR
    (4/26/01 7:57:36 am)
    Polish shooter, You mentioned that You were at Point Pleasant, did You see the obelisk there and read the inscription? I am reminded of someones posting about the first battles of the American Revolution, perhaps They would be interested in where the Congress of the United States felt the first battle of that War was fought,and when,

polishshooter
    (4/26/01 8:10:02 am)
    Reply Point Pleasant
    No, I didn't stop, I was on my way through. I'll be back through and make sure I have the time, though.

That era of our history is fascinating. I'm not sure if it took more "courage" to hit Omaha Beach, go on a LRRP in II Corp, or to go on a 6 month "Long Hunt" in Shawnee Territory alone with nothing but a flintlock rifle, a knife and a 'hawk.

WyomingSwede
    (4/27/01 12:16:49 am)
    Reply Re: history
    Hey polish I was born in Miami county Ohio. Really got into the Alan Eckert books also. When I was a kid...we were sure that we found the lost Shawnee silver mine...ended up being a cistern where they hid out civil war runaway slaves.
    you ever get a chance..visit Fort Meigs up by Toledo..well worth the effort.
    When in Wyoming I lived within driving distance of the rendevous sites of the fur trade...by far my favorite era. (check out "Give my Heart to the Hawks" by Winfred Blevins...great read.)
    I also have a fascinaation for the Spanish American War and the Phillipine Insurrection. Great era... the wild west wa going out but not yet dead...The new model warfare weapons and tctics were coming in....enter the Mauser and a host of poorly made copies. (you knew that was coming didn't ya??)Roosevelt and the Rough Riders, Butch Cassidy & The Sundance Kid, The end of mounted cavalary...the later arrival of the tank...just a classic subject. Thanks for the post. regards swede

Wyoming Swede

polishshooter
    (4/27/01 3:38:31 pm)
    Reply Eckert
    Swede,

Yeah that was ALAN Eckert. The Chairman of my History Dept. in college was ED Eckert, I get them confused.

Doc Eckert would have my hide.

Thanks.

Miami County, huh? Just over the border from where I live. Where the Miami Redskins USED to play, right?

This area is ripe with arrowheads, relics, burial grounds, etc. I drive through Ft. Recovery all the time, too...

And Yeah, I got the dig on the mausers...Good thing old Paul Von was as good at creating a market to sell his mediocre stuff as Oliver W. was. All the millions of the REALLY good rifles of the time were in the Czar's army.

polishshooter
    (7/13/01 11:36:34 pm)
    Reply Re: Eckert
    I thought I'd move this to the top, we have alot of new members that may like to "vote." I'll do one on World Military History, too, just to get opinions.
    Patina is an acquired taste.

kdubaz
    (7/14/01 12:00:49 pm)
    Kids musta got off the computer last night so's you had access, Polish!!!!!
    Keep below the ridgeline!

polishshooter
    (7/14/01 12:38:39 pm)
    I get on whenever he's working, on a date, playing basketball, or when I can "outlast" him late at night and he's too tired to stay on it.

Sometimes I trick him by renting him a neat looking Playstation game when he's going to be home, for the hour or so until he "beats it," I have free access to "MY" PC.
    Patina is an acquired taste.

rayra
    (7/15/01 2:45:50 am)
    Re: Eckert
    Have to say I really enjoy / read all the history material I can lay hands to / on.
    Civil War really appeals for the drama and directness re US History, and spent some years growing up on the East Coast, got to tour several Civil War battlefields (at that perfect early time of life when you are first learning about such things) - so there was much impact to it all.

Ultimately had to give the vote to WWI-WW2. All the history and personalities of Civil War histories, PLUS the full spectrum of warfare (I am also an 'omnivore' in that regard - planes, tanks, ships, subs, hand weapons, gimmegimmegimme), PLUS the full stage of World history, too boot.

If I had my druthers, shoot in the morning, read (military) history the rest of the day.

Rich

polishshooter
    (7/17/01 8:58:35 pm)
    Sounds like the type of retirement I need to shoot for... As long as I get enough Social Security to keep me in surplus ammo and beer, I can always use my library card for the rest...
    Beware the Warped Crufflers.

jp58c
    (2/16/03 4:10:07 pm)
    GREETINGS TO ALL FELLOW NORESTRS/MID STATERS
    Born and raised in NY Elmira,for those that don't know,final resting place of Samual Clemens/Mark Twain.Spent all my summers in Little Valley,Salamaca territory,also many summers in the finger lakes Iriqouis nation.Moved to Saratoga NY later.
    The area is rife with the only war that made this nation what it is today.
    Lest we foget what all we fight for
    SEMPER FI

sgtfubar
    (2/27/03 10:51:21 pm)
    I pretty much like them all, but the WW2 era would be my favorite. I enjoy doing alot of reading on that one. One thing I didn't like about the civil war was the whole "standing in a line battle thing"...that would have to be frustrating for a soldier in that time. You are completely exposed to the enemy, and it takes a while to reload each shot.
    Last edited: Mar 7, 2003