What exactly am i beyond Imperial German?

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by G_Hebel_MD, Nov 30, 2012.

1. G_Hebel_MD

G_Hebel_MD New Member

Good day to you all, this is my first post on here ( i have referenced this forum for ages when looking at strange or, just different firearms this place is a great source of info) This is the first time i have had something that has me completely stumped

From what i can tell based on markings this is a German single shot target pistol of some caliber (5.5mm - 6mm or there abouts) the only marks on it are a crown over B, crown over U and, what i think is crown over G (the letter is a bit worn off could also be a C) there is also the number 119 all of these are on the bottom of the fluted barrel. there is a crown over U and crown over B on the side of the frame as well.

Barrel is just shy of 11" long, fluted and, has a front bladelike sight as well as a rear adjustable? wedge sight (if that is what it is called)

any assistance in identifying this pistol would be great.

Attached Files:

2. G_Hebel_MD

G_Hebel_MD New Member

here are some additional pictures ( i endeavor to be thorough)

Attached Files:

3. G_Hebel_MD

G_Hebel_MD New Member

yet more pictures

Attached Files:

4. hrf

hrf Active Member

Welcome to TFF.

A nice German target pistol, with the standard crowns over letters B, U, and G proofmarks; probably .22 caliber.

These were made by a multitude of guild workers, and it will probably remain anonymous.

The upper chamber rim has been damaged by dry firing, and the firing pin appears to now be missing.
  5. Jim K

Jim K New Member

There is much talk about "parlor pistols" but that is one. The "BUG" proof marks are for, respectively, proof in the finished condition, definitive proof, and proof of rifled barrels.

Jim
  6. G_Hebel_MD

G_Hebel_MD New Member

I kinda had the idea that it was a target or parlor pistol. the screw in the base of the grip was a dead giveaway. Was debating whether was for a counter weight, display ball or somesuch.

Thanks for the information gents, i was unaware what the proof marks meant and, for a aged pistol this one has some beautiful rifling. I am unsure really of the caliber as a .22 is too large for the barrel and, unfortunately i do not have a tool fine enough to give me beyond basic millimeters that of course come up different three times in a row (5.1mm 5.6mm and, 5.98mm respectively)

any ideas on value?
  7. hrf

hrf Active Member

By too large, do you mean the chamber is too short, or the cartridge won't enter at all?

If the latter, it's probably just because of the peened edge of chamber at top that I mentioned.

(The old German catalogs list .22s as 5.7mm)

I can't guesstimate value, but it will be limited unless the firing pin is replaced.
    Last edited: Nov 30, 2012
  8. rhmc24

rhmc24 Member

Another indication of better than some is its 'set trigger'. Not seen on the low end parlor pistols. When you push it from behind the trigger should 'set' and have a very sensitive trigger pull, adjustable with the screw.
  9. G_Hebel_MD

G_Hebel_MD New Member

won't enter at all and, i had noticed that it had an adjustable trigger thought that a bit odd as had never seen a old gun with one of those (but then i mainly get to see old military guns and adjustable trigger isn't mass production friendly or military cost effective)
  10. Treeman53

Treeman53 Member

I just posted mine in "Technical Questions". I didn't think I'd see another one in the forums! Mine seems to be chambered for .22 Long.

Attached Files: