What exactly is Duracoat.

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by RunningOnMT, Jun 22, 2012.

1. RunningOnMT

RunningOnMT New Member

It's often mentioned here and elsewhere without explanation as to what it actually is. I think I've seen that name on cans in the paint section of the local hardware. Is this the same stuff? Is it a paint or something more akin to a metal treatment such as parkerizing? How is it applied? Is it something you can do yourself or does it need to be done by a professional? Does it require special equipment to apply or just a simple spray can?
  2. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

Its a spray on bake on firearms coating. Its about as tuff as KG Gunkote. Application is simple.. Abrasive blast the parst being refinished to remove any rust, old finish, and bluing. then degrease parts thoroughly. Prepare duracoat and apply to parts. let dry and bake in oven to cure.

I know KG Gunkote come in aerosol cans, duracoat may too. It is very similar.

If you are considering having something duracoated i strongly suggest Cerakote. duracoat and KG guncoat pale in comparison to Cerakote. that stuffs so tuff they put it on bowling balls. It is a 2 part much like an epoxy and is applied with an airbrush or an HVLP gun. Application/cure procedure is the same.
  3. RunningOnMT

RunningOnMT New Member

Thanks Josh. Is cerakote something the novice can do or should it be professionally applied? I don't own an air brush but I have access to a compressor and regular paint guns. Does the finish look painted or is it more like parkerized or blued? Is the entire firearm cerakoted, including sights? On say a 1911 is the underside of the slide cerakoted? Slide rails?
  4. ka64

ka64 Well-Known Member

5. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

Cerakote can me made matte, satin or gloss by adjusting the amount of hardener in the mix. If it is applied right with a good hand it will look like a professional job.

It isnt hard to do but does take some experience and skill with a pray gun. I use HVLP guns to apply. and I have one for dark hues and one for light hues. The trick is in very very thin even coats. Start with the hard to reach areas and finish up with the easy spots.

IMO, it isnt something just anybody can pick up a spray gun and do. It is very easy to mess up if you dont know what youre dealing with.
  6. 312shooter

312shooter Active Member

+1 my g17 was duracoted and the stuff started to wear off the grips in two range sessions, unless you really have a junked out, turd gun I would avoid doing it yourself.