What firearms related books do you have?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by aa1911, Oct 2, 2012.

1. aa1911

aa1911 Active Member

Wanted to see what else is out there that folks have as far as technical reference of any type (books) related to shooting/firearms to exclude reloading information or gun manuals, got tons of those floating around (mostly thanks to Jack404, a big thanks again!).

Stuff like, Greenhill formula, effects of temperature/weather anything that relates to the nitty gritty of our boomsticks.

looking for things like this:

[​IMG]

this has long been a favorite of mine for understanding ballistics of just about everything concerning every type of firearm. Highly recommend reading this cover to cover if you are a serious hunter, shooter of any kind. Dispells quite a few myths.

Wanted to see what other stuff like this is out there that you guys have found useful or informative.
  2. bluesea112

bluesea112 Active Member

All of my books are reloading related. I have 3 of them. Once written by Hornady, one written by Lee Precision, and one generic written by a ballistics expert. The Lee Precision is a soft cover and the other two are hard covers. The Lee book has very limited loading information. The Hornady book is the best of the 3.
  3. wv hillbilly

wv hillbilly Well-Known Member

none, that you speak of.
    i dont reload, so i dont need any books.
    dad taught me when i was 5 or 6 which shells went in the right firearm, so no books
    i know how to take apart and clean every firearm i own , so no books
    i guess i dont need no books
  4. soundguy

soundguy Well-Known Member

someties it's nice to just read about the history.

i like firearms of the world.. and the ones about the ww1 and ww2 arms.

that's mostly what i collect anyway.. ww1/2 long guns
  5. Archie

Archie Member

Great. Now I have to catalogue my library.

I have - uh - several. I've got a couple books by MajGen J. S. Hatcher, a couple by Elmer Keith, books on handgun shooting by Jordan, Fairbairne and Sykes, Nichols and some others. I have a copy of Walter Roper's handgunner book, Fitzgerald, and McGivern. There are numerous Gun Digests and Shooter's Bibles. Reloading manuals and commentaries by the foot.

I have to catalogue them.

No such thing as 'too much information'.
  6. aa1911

aa1911 Active Member

agreed. knowledge is power in any case but there's so much to know about ballistics that actually have a lot of practical use when selecting ammuntion or components for ammo or your gun.

need to photo my other books and get them posted up here. would love to see others you guys have too.
  7. Old Grump

Old Grump New Member

Little hut in the woods near Blue River Wisconsin
    2 book shelves full and no I am not going to count them. That does not count several large cardboard boxes of old gun magazines that I cannot make myself throw out.
  8. ericmt

ericmt New Member

When you can get yourself to throw them away, why not give them away, instead? There's probably a ton of new shooters who would love to read a couple.
  9. Old Grump

Old Grump New Member

I tried, a highschool and a old folks home, not just shooting magazines but a whole series of outdoor and project related magazines. Neither would take them because of surplus inventory already on hand. I give a lot away to people I know would appreciate them but I'm talking 30+ years of accumulation. I see boxes of those kinds of magazines go for decent prices at estate sales and when they have one to get rid of my estate they are going to need a hay wagon to haul them with because a pickup won't be big enough. :D
  10. cpttango30

cpttango30 Guest

3 Sierria manuals
    1 hornady manual
    1 Lyman manual
    1965 Shooters bible
    High power rifle accuracy
    Ammo and balistics 4
    Ruger and his firearms
    stoegers complete rimfire disassembly guide
    2 blue book of gun values
    Illustrated guide to modern firearms
    2010 Shooters bible
    4 years of The Varmint Hunter Magazine
    Midwayusa 2012 master catalog
    Brownells 2011 catalog
    2011 Sinclair catalog
    More guns less crime
    and some that I can't remember....
  11. Gabob

Gabob Well-Known Member

Too many to list. Mostly gunsmithing books, Bill Jordon, McGiven, Keith, O'Conner and Skeeter Skelton
  12. aa1911

aa1911 Active Member

how good is the 'ammo and ballistics 4' book? also will be checking out the hi-pwr rifle book you mentioned, not sure if I've read that one or not.
  13. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

I have three new reloading manuals, the Blue Book of Gun Values, and I have the complete set of Gun Digest books of assembly and dis-assembly. I think there are six of them. I also think I have a couple of old Gun Digest books.
  14. BETH

BETH Well-Known Member

how about giving them to a gun range for vfw?
  15. Old Grump

Old Grump New Member

For vfw, what does that mean?
  16. CampingJosh

CampingJosh Well-Known Member

I think she meant "or the VFW."
  17. Old Grump

Old Grump New Member

If that is what she meant it would not be a good match up. The local chapter rents a space and only use it on meeting nights. Even the post I used to belong to only used the main building as a bar and the upstairs for meetings. It wasn't a place where people came and sat around and read.

Our local gun club has had people donate books and magazines and they sit around for a few months being ignored then dumped in a dumpster. People come to shoot, they socialize while they are shooting and then they go home.
  18. Sig Willy

Sig Willy Member

Those can be valuable but I don't mean moneywise. Lots of history in there and in pics and details.

Me, I only have one book that I bought for my SD/HD. It's "After You Shoot." so I can defend myself better when it comes to legal BS.
  19. soundguy

soundguy Well-Known Member

i feel lucky.. I got a couple box loads of handloaders digest and firearms digests from a buddy who found them at a flea markey.. stuff from 60's to 2000.. got maybee 50 books for like 10$
  20. aa1911

aa1911 Active Member

Massad Ayoob's books would be another great read, especially 'in the gravest extreme', I always recommend that like it's the bible of self defense shooting.

'stressfire' is another one of his although I didn't get as much out of it as I had hoped.