The Firearms Forum banner

What gun should I get for concealed carry?

8K views 52 replies 30 participants last post by  WHSmithIV 
#1 ·
I looks good that the state of Illinois will get a conceal carry law next month. I will need to get the training (16 hours ) and the licence but I do not own a handgun the would be suitable for carry. I do have a Beretta 92 but think it is to big.

I prefer all steel guns.
I can't spend a lot of money on it.
I think 9 mil or 38 would be best.

What do you guys recommend and why?

#2 ·
You said "all steel". Do you actually mean "steel" as opposed to aluminum or Titanium, or just more "metal" as opposed to "plastic"?

I tend to think of my guns as "wood and steel", and ain't got no plastic-fantastic combat tupperware stuff. BUT - my carry gun is aluminum framed. :p

#5 ·
I looks good that the state of Illinois will get a conceal carry law next month. I will need to get the training (16 hours ) and the licence but I do not own a handgun the would be suitable for carry. I do have a Beretta 92 but think it is to big.

I prefer all steel guns.

What ever you do, buy one that you will carry! Caliber does matter! If you can't handle the recoil, or the weight of a large 1911A, then you won't carry it. The larger the caliber you are comfortable with carring, and shooting, the better. If I had to choose between the 9, and the .38, as a carry gun, I think I would go with the 9mm. It hits harder than the .38, it usually carries more ammo in the mag, it's eaiser, and quicker to reload. And you can get in the smaller carry modles. Low weight, low recoil, and a bunch more bullets, is a win, win.

#6 ·
What ever you do, buy one that you will carry! Caliber does matter! If you can't handle the recoil, or the weight of a large 1911A, then you won't carry it. The larger the caliber you are comfortable with carring, and shooting, the better. If I had to choose between the 9, and the .38, as a carry gun, I think I would go with the 9mm. It hits harder than the .38, it usually carries more ammo in the mag, it's eaiser, and quicker to reload. And you can get in the smaller carry modles. Low weight, low recoil, and a bunch more bullets, is a win, win.
My favorite handgun is my Ruger Super Blackhawk 44 mag. I don't have an issue with recoil but this gun is not suitable for carry. I was looking at the new Ruger Commander 1911 but it is not cheap.

#7 ·
George, take a look at the XDs in .45. My brother just bought one for around $600, and he loves it! I can't say anything about it other than that, I haven't shot it yet! http://www.xdspistol.com/

#8 ·
when i get the money, i'll get a 45, small, probably from Sig, for concealed carry with more 'punch'. Right now I carry a Sig P230, with JHP's and it shoots great, albeit a little heavy. (It's been updated now to a P232). Sig now has a P238 that I think I would choose over a P230 these days, because it's lighter, and still all steel, etc. All these are .380 ACP/9mm kurz. Works for me.
http://www.sigsauer.com/CatalogProductList/pistols-p238.aspx

#9 ·
Give the Bersa thunder Ultra Compact a look. They come in 9mm .40 Cal or .45.
I had been carrying a Springfield XDSC but swapped to the Bersa UC 9mm because of the way it felt in hand and it was a little less bulky to carry. Has never failed to go bang from day one, 13+1 capacity.
http://www.bersa.com/bersa-firearms/thunder-uc-pro-series.html

#10 ·
Most handguns are suitable for carry with the right belt and holster and appropriate cover garment, including your 92. You need to narrow you choices a bit further and then see if you can borrow or rent those that you think might work and see how you like them in the hand and on the range. Based on size alone, my favorite carry is a 40 year-old S&W 36--relatively small and light, all steel and as reliable as the sun rising every morning. Based on what I (emphasis on the I) prefer, it is a CCO or Commander-sized 1911 in 45 acp.

#11 ·

I prefer all steel guns.

I'm waiting on my LGS to get me a SIG 224.

It fits what you describe (and is exactly what I've been looking for).

#12 ·

I prefer all steel guns.

ditto what another poster said about steel vs aluminum, vs composite.

if you would be ok with some aluminum / alloy.. that opens you into airlite revolvers.. and things like a sig p238 in 380 even.

much lighter / smaller guns..

the air weights truly are light. havn't seen them in 357 mag.. just 38.. but that's plenty..e tc.

#13 ·
You cant beat commander size 1911s for CC. I rarely carry anything else anymore. There are so many to choose from but one real nice one I own is the desert eagle. I know you said 9mm or 38 but I wouldnt limit myself....

#14 ·
I was at my Cabela's this weekend and they had the Ruger 1911 Commander. Nice gun. It is not that smaller than the full size. I am leaning at getting it right now.

#16 ·
I was at my Cabela's this weekend and they had the Ruger 1911 Commander. Nice gun. It is not that smaller than the full size. I am leaning at getting it right now.
Go for it! Be sure that you have a good, wide, thick belt, and a good holster to go with it.

#18 ·
I like your choice of a 1911. I either carry my Springfield XD45 when I can wear heavier clothing, and in the summer I carry my SP101 with a speed loader. I would like to get a 1911 that is easier to conceal down the road and that will be my main carry gun. I think you are wise to consider the 1911. Fire power is wise.

#19 ·
Always have enough gun for the fight!

#20 · (Edited)
I don't have a problem with poly guns, my wife has one. I just would prefer metal. I am old school.
Yeah that's me old school, I love the look of the S&W "J" frame but it's not cheapest, I'd also scale down to Taurus or other look-a-likes. I just like the look and feel...that's just my style. ;)

I also know there are some great modern semis but if 5 or 6 rounds should do it unless you're in an all out shootout. Get good ammo also!

Now knock down power is more than just nice in a bad situation and John Browning had it right on, the iconic 1911.

#21 ·
Oh I happened to be on the Ruger page, I also like the look of the LCRs:

KLCR-357 5450 357 Mag 5 Hogue® Tamer™ Monogrip® Replaceable, Pinned Ramp 17.10 oz. $599.00

LCR 5401 38 Spl +P 5 Hogue® Tamer™ Monogrip® Replaceable, Pinned Ramp 13.50 oz. $529.00

#22 ·
Oh I happened to be on the Ruger page, I also like the look of the LCRs:

KLCR-357 5450 357 Mag 5 Hogue® Tamer™ Monogrip® Replaceable, Pinned Ramp 17.10 oz. $599.00

LCR 5401 38 Spl +P 5 Hogue® Tamer™ Monogrip® Replaceable, Pinned Ramp 13.50 oz. $529.00
I was looking at that LCR also. Thar gun would be easy to carry.

#24 ·
Just for the sake of argument...I've carried concealed since 1970. I've carried .44 mag. to .22. Each time I changed it was triggered by my lifestyle. I've moved to a slower part of the state now, and the probability of my encountering a armed combatant is now low.
With that said, as I sit here in my night clothes, long sleeve camo mock T and pj pants (they have a name for them... lounge ware or something...makes me feel like a playboy bunny) I have a .22 freedom arms five shot in my pocket. Why? Cause it is easy to carry and always there. Not far away is a Ruger LCP .380 (nightstand) and in a corner a .20 gauge youth model pump shotgun with a red dot scope. (It is loaded with 2 ought buck, slug, then other 2 oughts.
When I go out, the LCP goes in a belt holster (cause in the car you can't get it out of a pocket.)
If I am going to the big city or anywhere there have been problems I replace the LCP with a Glock model 27 9MM. ( originally a .40 but I bought the Lone Wolf barrel and changed it to 9). As I've gotten older I found the 9 easier for a follow up (or 2) than the .40.
If the SHTF I will have a shotgun with me, most likely loaded with 00 buck.

The point is, if you experience summer type weather, and go out in shorts or swim trunks, that hand cannon in the glove box ain't a help. Both my LCP and freedom arms .22 can go in a swim suit and be there for me.

Now if you don't wear shorts and stuff, and always wear a jacket or your shirt out, go for the cannon.
Here's the formula.

Comfort/Conceal ability V In hand V In trunk = proper weapon

#25 · (Edited)
I carry a 1911 year round. I seldom wear anything but jeans and a shirt out but even when I wear shorts and a tee shirt, my 1911 is still on my belt. I have carried for 30 years and have carried pretty much every type of gun made. I have just made myself comfortable with a 1911 commander or officer no matter the dress style.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.