??? What Happened ???

Discussion in '.22-Rimfire Forum' started by keppler, May 18, 2003.

1. keppler

keppler New Member

I've got a CZ Varmint model thats been glass bedded with accra glass, trigger worked to maybe 1 lb, barrel has been floated. I have a Simmons 4-14x 40 AO mounted with CZ rings.
    The trouble is... the best I can get it to group is maybe 1"-2" at 50 yards shooting off both front and rear bags. Wind was calm in fact a beautiful day for shooting. I've tried several types of ammo and while some shoot better than others...none shoot very well. There is just no grouping or pattern to it.
    I just can't figure out why this rifle doesnt shoot any better than it does. I must be missing something....besides the target.
    Any ideas???:confused:
  2. CountryGunsmith

CountryGunsmith New Member

Wedge a small piece of styrofoam between the underside of the barrel and the stock. If that improves things, rebed the channel to place some slight pressure about 1-2" back from the tip.
  3. Guest

Guest Guest

Yup -

What Doc said!

Those CZ's, at least the ones I've seen, are nice looking and good shootin' rifles. Might have doctored the rifle up a little too much trying to attain tack driving accuracy (been there, done that!). Naturally, before shimming the barrel/forend tip, be sure to check all the mount and ring screws for tightness. Find the brand of ammo the firearm likes (I've got a Kimber that will only accept the most expensive!) and go from there.

Good Shooting!
  4. keppler

keppler New Member

Thanks for the tips but I forgot to mention the adjustable tuner that puts pressure on the barrel about 2 inches from the end of the stock. This thing has got me bumfuzzeled for sure. I think its an ammo issue but I've tried everthing from Lapua to el-cheapo Remington. I've got 2 Kimbers and both of them like the match grade ammo. I've got another CZ that will shoot about anything pretty decent except the match grade stuff...it don't like those much.
    This rifle has never shot as good as I thought it should thats the reason for all the work on it. I bought it new about 9 months ago and it shot about the same out of the box as it shoots now.
    It seems I read somewhere that the shorter barrels handle high velocity ammo better than the longer barrels. I think I'll pick up some velocitors or mini mags and give those a try. Somethings got to work.
    Once again....Thanks for the tips.
  5. Smokin Guns

Smokin Guns New Member

Hey!

Welcome to ya keppler!...can't say as I have properly welcomed ya here before!...I'm usually known as the best shooter round here...!...[​IMG]...got a digital camera?... ;)
  6. Guest

Guest Guest

Well, Pard -

If you've checked all the bedding and scope screws, ran the barrel tension screw in and out, tried the various brands of match and standard ammo and it still doesn't want to settle down, about the only thing that sticks in my mind is a bad barrel.

Might consider another crown job and at the same time ask the smithy to check for lumps, bumps or straightness.

BTW, my Kimber 82C only performs well with Lupua Midas "M". How about yours?
  7. keppler

keppler New Member

Nah...no digital camera.
    My Kimbers like the Lapua better than any other but thet get fed Wolf Match Extra. Both of them are sure sweet little rifles. I've read a lot of bad stuff about Kimber lately but I don't have any complaints with mine. My wife got me the H/S one day...much to my suprise.... But I don't care for the high comb on the stock. The gun shoots good but I've been considering having the stock reshaped more into a sporting style. I probably never will tho. The other one is a Classic and I just love that gun. I've used them for squirrel hunting and informal target shooting with my wife.
    I like the Wolf M/E for hunting since they are kinda quiet and kill squirrels good with head shots. Most of the standard velocity..except hollow points just zip thru the head and while the critter may not go anywhere, they're still alive when I go to pick them up. But with the Wolf they are dead when I go get them. I've never heard of anyone using these for hunting but since they shoot so well I decided to give them a try.
    OK...enough of my ramblin...I've thought abot recrowning the CZ but since its so new I kinda hate to go to the expense. Is there some way to tell if that is the problem? I've also thought about polishing the Bore...any ideas on that. I've ordered some of the Molu Fusion and was going to try that on this rifle but I'm not sure if thats what I want to do or not.
    Hmmm....maybe I should trade it for a digital camera...one with a wide angle lense....so I dont miss.
    HAH probably wouldnt help.:eek:
  8. Zigzag2

Zigzag2 Guest

Hello keppler and welcome to The Firearms Forum.

Can I suggest a telephoto & wideangle lens? just joshin' with ya'

yes Sir, something sounds amiss... be sure to keep us up to date with the progress you make. And make yourself at home here @TFF!
  9. Boomatic

Boomatic New Member

HI keppler...welcome to TFF. Finally someone else in OK! Where are you? I'm in Sapulpa.
  10. z537z

z537z New Member

also

Try the winchester Xpert .22 HPs for huntin. The critters will be dead when you get there too, and for 8 bucks/brick you can't complain.

I picked off a bird freehand from 50 yards, so ya know they're accurate (but then, so am I!). Sure, it took me 3 shots...

_z
  11. keppler

keppler New Member

YARRRR....anuder Okie...I'm down here in the cultural center of the known universe...errr...maybe not...Sallisaw. Is anybody else here from Gods country..otherwise known as Oklahoma?
    I haven't had a chance to tinker with the CZ but I hope to before the weekend, Can't have my wife keep outshooting like she did this last weekend. Not that she's the type to rub it in...but my nose is gettin sore. I better leave it home and take one of the Kimbers just to save face.
  12. Guest

Guest Guest

Well, (hiding face behind hand) I USED to live there - in fact, was the former Mayor of Owasso!

Seems if you want to try lapping the barrel, you can get a NECO kit from Midway. Since the bullets are already soft lead, you should be able to roll the extra fine grit into them, and with the standard velocity stuff, polish the bore up fine with a few loads.

A good gunsmith SHOULD be able to tell if a recrown would help, or if there are other problems inherent with the barrel. You didn't say - is it shooting round shotgun patterns, vertical or horizontal stringing, or what?

Might also try swapping out the scope and see what happens.
  13. keppler

keppler New Member

The patterns this confounded thing is shooting is the most aggrivating part. I didn't save any of the targets but I remember that while shooting the Federal Target 711 it shot 2 about 1 1/2" high and left..then 1 about 4 inches low then 1 on the x then back high and left then low again....just kinda repeating shots like that. And that was one of the better rounds.
    This is the third scope I've had on it ,the first one was one of those $30.00 Wally World specials and I thought it was just the scope causing the problems. Then I took the Bushnell Trophy off my Kimber and still no better. This was the first time I had shot it with the CZ rings and I'm wondering if maybe I did'nt get them tight or something? The seem tight but I didnt have my good screw driver set with me while we were out shooting. If I get home in time tonight I'll check that. This gun has the 11mm dovetail instead of the standard 3/8, thats the reason I paid the extra bucks for the CZ rings. They do look like they fit a lot better than the others but I wish they made more than one height.
    I know a gunsmith that has a shop about 20 miles west of here that seems to know what he's doing. I won't get a chance to this weekend mut maybe next weekend I can run the gun up there and have him look at the crown. There's nothing obvious wrong with it...of course I cant see very good either.
    I guess I should get off here and go to work...gotta make enough to support this new addiction...shooting .22's :eek:
  14. keppler

keppler New Member

Geez...I had a memory once but forgot where I put it.
    Anyway...I wanted to thank ya'll for the friendly welcome and all the tips you keep giving on this problem. I'm not actually new to shooting but am knew to this kind of stuff. It is a great hobby and very relaxing in what can only be described as very hard times around here. My wife has brain cancer and last weekend while we were shooting was the first time I've seen her laugh in a while. Of course she was laughing at me... and believe me...I wish she would laugh at me everyday.
    Anyway...Thanks for the frienship. Keith
  15. Zigzag2

Zigzag2 Guest

Hey keppler, it's truely our pleasure to have you with us.

My thoughts and prayers are with you and yours...

Now, back to shooting my friend! *wink* :D
  16. keppler

keppler New Member

Well...just checked the scope and nothing seems wrong there. Everything good and tight and fitting good. I was kida hoping to find something wrong even if it meant I can't put a scope on right. I guess I'll just have to wait till this weekend and try some more types of ammo.:confused:
  17. Smokin Guns

Smokin Guns New Member

Yep!...

...Prayers out for your wife also from me Keppler...I'll help provide "comic relief" with ya...have her join up with postin' some target results when ya can...;)
  18. keppler

keppler New Member

Thanks for the prayers fellas. We plan on doing some shooting this weekend. We'll post some targets also. Hers will probably be the better ones.
    I took the CZ completely apart and came up with nothing.grrr...this is realy startin to chap my hide.
    I'm going to pick up some different ammo and go that route and see what happens.
    We just got back from Red Lobster....anniversary dinner. YUM
    of course I ate way too much.
    Could someone maybe tell me how to post pictures on here. Or is there a link I could follow somewhere. I hope we can scan the targets and post them like that...we'll give it a try anyway
  19. armabill

armabill Member

Can you be more specific on the barrel tuner. What does it look like and how does it work?
  20. SouthernMoss

SouthernMoss *Admin Tech Staff*

Keppler,

Warpig wrote a very detailed explanation on how to post pictures a while back. Here's a link to that thread:

How to Post Pictures

Let us know if you have any problems. :)