??? What Happened ???

Discussion in '.22-Rimfire Forum' started by keppler, May 18, 2003.

1. keppler

keppler New Member

The "tuner" as I call it, is one I read about somewhere, don't remember where. It's a....dang, wish I new the names for things like this... anyway...at the hardware store store you will find a stud that has wood threads on the outside and standard threads on the inside. The one I use takes a 5/16" hole drilled thru the exact center of the stock about 1 1/2" back from the end. I screwed the stud into the stock, then screwed a set screw into the stud so that I can adjust it while the gun is assembled. Now for the fun part. You will need a nylon bolt or something like that, that will fit nicely into the stud on top of the set screw that you can contour to fit the barrel. I've read that a nylon golf tee will work for this and am going to replace mine with one if I can ever remember to get one.
    This way you can adjust the pressure on the barrel and tune it in for each brand of ammo. I really havent messed with mine that much so I really don't know how well it works. In fact right now its screwed down to where its not even touching the barrel. I really think it will help especially the stock 10/22 and 597 type rifles with the aluminum receivers that arent strong enough to support the barrel if completely floated.
    I had a 10/22 that I had replaced the stock on with a real nice walnut Kimber stock...sure was a pretty rifle but I could never get it to shoot....real bad. I traded it off then got to trying to learn more about why it didnt shoot and found out that it was not designed to have a floated stock but has a pressure point that helps to support it instead of putting so much strain on the receiver.
    If your interested I could make a drawing and post it if it would help.
  2. keppler

keppler New Member

The "tuner" as I call it, is one I read about somewhere, don't remember where. It's a....dang, wish I new the names for things like this... anyway...at the hardware store store you will find a stud that has wood threads on the outside and standard threads on the inside. The one I use takes a 5/16" hole drilled thru the exact center of the stock about 1 1/2" back from the end. I screwed the stud into the stock, then screwed a set screw into the stud so that I can adjust it while the gun is assembled. Now for the fun part. You will need a nylon bolt or something like that, that will fit nicely into the stud on top of the set screw that you can contour to fit the barrel. I've read that a nylon golf tee will work for this and am going to replace mine with one if I can ever remember to get one.
    This way you can adjust the pressure on the barrel and tune it in for each brand of ammo. I really havent messed with mine that much so I really don't know how well it works. In fact right now its screwed down to where its not even touching the barrel. I really think it will help especially the stock 10/22 and 597 type rifles with the aluminum receivers that arent strong enough to support the barrel if completely floated.
    I had a 10/22 that I had replaced the stock on with a real nice walnut Kimber stock...sure was a pretty rifle but I could never get it to shoot....real bad. I traded it off then got to trying to learn more about why it didnt shoot and found out that it was not designed to have a floated stock but has a pressure point that helps to support it instead of putting so much strain on the receiver.
    If your interested I could make a drawing and post it if it would help.
  3. Smokin Guns

Smokin Guns New Member

Yup!...

keppler is go'in auto on us...;) ...Welcome to ya armabill!...[​IMG]
  4. keppler

keppler New Member

Nah...I got rid of the Ruger ...but...I think I still have 3 somewhere in the safe. Should be a Remington 550-1 and a 597 along with a Marlin model 60 hiding in there somewhere. I think I'll stick to the bolt guns for now.
  5. armabill

armabill Member

Hi all! I just got a CZ452 Varmint and I'm experimenting which different ideas in order to get better accuracy.

That includes different brands of ammo. Tried Wolf, Win. T22 and Fed. AE22. Mine likes the AE22 better.
    Last edited: Jun 3, 2003