What has happened to my country? HOW do you explain this?!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Pat Hurley, Jul 3, 2007.

1. Pat Hurley

Pat Hurley Former Guest

It's stories like this that make me wonder if our civilization is on course to fully implode. How can this happen?

Marlin... can't the other shoppers be charged with graven indifference? :mad: :mad: :mad:

Kansas Store Video Captures Five Shoppers Stepping Over Dying Stabbing Victim
    Tuesday, July 03, 2007

WICHITA, Kan. — As stabbing victim LaShanda Calloway lay dying on the floor of a convenience store, five shoppers, including one who stopped to take a picture of her with a cell phone, stepped over the woman, police said.

The June 23 situation, captured on the store's surveillance video, got scant news coverage until a columnist for The Wichita Eagle disclosed the existence of the video and its contents Tuesday.

Police have refused to release the video, saying it is part of their investigation.

"It was tragic to watch," police spokesman Gordon Bassham said Tuesday. "The fact that people were more interested in taking a picture with a cell phone and shopping for snacks rather than helping this innocent young woman is, frankly, revolting."

The woman was stabbed during an altercation that was not part of a robbery, Bassham said. It took about two minutes for someone to call 911, he said.

Calloway, 27, died later at a hospital.

Two suspects have been arrested. A 19-year-old woman was charged with first-degree murder. Another suspect who turned himself in had not been charged as of Tuesday, the Sedgwick County prosecutor's office said.

The district attorney's office will have to decide whether any of the shoppers could be charged, Bassham said.

It was uncertain what law, if any, would be applicable. A state statute for failure to render aid refers only to victims of a car accident.

Eagle columnist Mark McCormick told The Associated Press he learned about the video when he called Wichita Police Chief Norman Williams to inquire about a phone call he had received from a reader complaining about a Police Department policy that requires emergency medical personnel to wait until police secure a crime scene before rendering aid. McCormick said Williams then unloaded on him about the shoppers in the stabbing case.

"This is just appalling," Williams told the newspaper. "I could continue shopping and not render aid and then take time out to take a picture? That's crazy. What happened to our respect for life?"
  2. Bruce FLinch

Bruce FLinch New Member

:mad: We have reached the Zenith of APATHY! :mad:

I'm surprised it was in Kansas & not NYC:(
  3. Rommelvon

Rommelvon New Member

Our country has become as cold and as uncaring as the dead, although there are still decent folk out there, the numbers dwindle each day......kinda makes me glad I don't have kids
  4. PaulHD883

PaulHD883 New Member

sickening!
  5. 358 winchester

358 winchester *TFF Admin Staff*

This is a very sad story and the saddest part is that we will be seeing more of this in AMERICA.
    every lawyer and politician is to blame people are afraid to get sued.
    People just don't care unless it effects them and then they think the world should stop to help.
    I have always cared and will always care but then I am a good bit past twenty and have seen many horrible things in my life time, seen some wonderful things as well LIKE THEM BETTER.
    Ron
  6. jcwit

jcwit New Member

nothing suprises me any more, I hope we wake up soon
  7. Marlin

Marlin *TFF Admin Staff Chief Counselor*

I'm afraid, Pat, that there are no statutes that would apply to this type situation, unless enacted relatively recently, ofter I retired in the early nineties.

Morally, one should care enough to assist. The culprit is partially due to what the ATLA members have grown nationwide, but more than that, to the loss of our strong Christian faith and ideals.....
  8. SouthernMoss

SouthernMoss *Admin Tech Staff*

9. WarSteed

WarSteed New Member

This is very tragic, how can people even live withselves with such selfishness is beyond me.
  10. travihanson

travihanson New Member

11. 17thfabn

17thfabn New Member

There was a very famous case back in the 60's where a woman was screaming for help as she was being murdered in the city. No one came to help or even called the police.

I'm sure some one will come along who remebers this case.
  12. 22WRF

22WRF Well-Known Member

Kitty Genovese, was a New York City woman who was stabbed to death near her home in the Kew Gardens section of Queens, New York. The circumstances of her murder and the apparent reaction (or lack thereof) of her neighbors were reported by a newspaper article published two weeks later and prompted investigation into the psychological phenomenon that became known as the bystander effect or "Genovese syndrome."
  13. 17thfabn

17thfabn New Member

Thanks, WRF22 it took less than one hour to get an answear using the "colective wisdom of thefirearmsforum.com".
  14. Light Coat

Light Coat New Member

I don't go near that part of town for that exact reason. Not without backup.