What have I got myself into this time?

Discussion in 'General Military Arms & History Forum' started by Guest, Mar 3, 2003.

1. Guest

Guest Guest

BlackGun
    *TFF Staff*
    (2/7/02 5:51:25 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del All What have I got myself into this time?
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    OK, Guys, I'm surfing the local on line classified AD's and find this guy with "guns for sale" so I call him. He runs his wears down to me till, he gets to a Government issued .30 Cal Military issued M1 Carbine. I swear he said it was a Remington Rand. If this be the case and this weapon is in excellent condition what would be the value. I offered him $300.00 cash sight unseen and he took my name and address and said he would see if his wife would deliver it to me. Since I still can't walk well. What do you guys think!
    Tread On Me, But, Leave My DONUT Alone! !

BlackGUN

velvetnsteel
    (2/7/02 7:02:33 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: What have I got myself into this time?
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I would make sure his description was accurate before I handed his wife the cash. Sounds too good to be true........but on the other hand, he may not know what it is worth.

BlackGun
    *TFF Staff*
    (2/7/02 7:47:39 pm)
    What would it be worth if the description was accurate?

BlackGUN

Edited by: BlackGun at: 2/7/02 7:50:09 pm

LIKTOSHOOT
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (2/7/02 8:24:09 pm)
    I would say someones mistaken. I don`t think RR ever produced a .30 carbine. Now if it were to really be, and in that shape......I would guess well over 2K.....because it would have to be a prototype....and if so worth much more than 2K.

velvetnsteel
    (2/7/02 10:15:51 pm)
    You are correct, Likstoshoot. I looked in the book and there is no mention of Remington Rand even making a prototype for consideration. They did not make parts either.

BlackGun
    *TFF Staff*
    (2/8/02 8:22:51 am)
    Well, knowing me, I misunderstood what he said, I do remember is wasn't a common gun maker. How about Ingersol Rand or one of the sewing machine makers. I haven't seen the gun yet and and didn't want to appear to be to anxious!

BlackGUN

Xracer
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (2/8/02 9:39:59 am)
    BG......check this out.

www.wwa.com/~dvelleux/m1carb.html

LIKTOSHOOT
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (2/8/02 9:52:53 am)
    Not IR either, they make tools, blast hole rigs and portable deep drilling rigs. I know of no maker that sounds like either one....unless Iver Johnson rings a bell. LTS

polishshooter
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (2/8/02 8:44:23 pm)
    Inland
    Winchester
    IBM
    Underwood
    Rock-ola
    Quality Hardware (reciever only)
    National Postal Meter
    Irwin-Pedersen
    Standard Products
    Saginaw (two different plants)

These are the only contractors and subcontractors that made US Military M1 carbines according to Canfield.

I'm not sure how many of the commercial clones there were except Plainfield and Universal.

But if it IS a US M1, just about ANY in good shape, complete would be worth at least 3 bills in todays market...if what I see advertised and at shows are indicative, $300 may be a steal...
    We must make war as we must; not as we would like. - Field Marshal Kitchener, 1915

Tac401
    Administrator
    (2/9/02 12:29:34 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del
    ezSupporter
    Re: What have I got myself into this time?
    I sold my Winchester in exellent 99% cond.
    with 18-mags, bayonet, extra Paratrooper stock
    (aftermarket) and spare parts kit for $1,100
    last year, got $800.00 for the rifle alone!
    The Firearms Forum Vietnam Memories Bulletin Board Contact Administrator

polishshooter
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (2/14/02 9:02:25 pm)
    Geez, BG, I'm disappointed in you!

You decided to put all the pics and descriptions in TECH instead of here where all the REAL knowledge of Historical guns are...heck, I would even think CR or What's it Worth would be a BETTER place than TECH!

That's for guys with slide-rules, chronographs, and SAAMI guages, isn't it? I mean the SCIENCE majors instead of the ARTS majors that REALLY know how to do research and conduct a discussion????
    We must make war as we must; not as we would like. - Field Marshal Kitchener, 1915

Xracer
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (2/15/02 4:34:34 pm)
    Oh God.....another Liberal Arts major climbs on the soapbox........

polishshooter
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (2/15/02 7:26:46 pm)
    I hope he know's I'm just funnin him...but I think the pics would make a NEAT addition to this forum too, right? I mean we ARE "Military ARMS/Military History," aren't we?

And X, as all my History Profs reminded me just about EVERY day ....

"History Majors can do ANYTHING."

What they neglected to say was that History Majors HAD to be able, or at least willing, to do anything, or they would probably STARVE.