The Firearms Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

What if Glock made a 1911?

Tags
1911 glock
43K views 50 replies 26 participants last post by  Ibmikey 
#1 ·
I am wondering why Glock never made a 1911 pistol? Would the Glockophiles and 1911 crowd both jump on them? Would Glock take over the 1911 world if they decided to jump on the bandwagon?

I do own a Glock and love it. I am not asking this just to start the Glock vs the world thread. I just wonder why Glock never offered a 1911 Mil-Spec that could rock the gun world.

Who would buy one if they did offer one? I know that a single stack .45 is not a 1911. I'm talking about the same 1911 that we all know and love. Any interest out there? Just wondering on a slow evening.....

#27 ·
I allready had a trigger job done on the Dan Wesson... I think the only direction to go from here is a high end Wilson or other custom gun like a Les Bauer or something? I'm not sure it would suit me though. I lean towards the reliability side and less towards the target precision side. I'm sure wilsons could make a piece that would be a little more reliable but would it be worth the price? Probably not.
That's just my assumption though.

I have been thinking about switching to having the revolvers loaded up for home defense instead of the 1911s and others. Revolvers don't jam...

mike
gn
Try a Wilson or NHC (my favorite). I have 8 of them. Reliability 100%. You will never go back once you have ....

#31 ·
GOOD GOD.... 16 +1 rounds onboard!!!!!!!! :eek::eek::eek::eek::D

Now thats FIREPOWER!!!!!!!!!!! :D:D

mike
gn
The normal 1911 is enough - 7-8 rounds. It is all about shot placement, not how many rounds your weapon carries (which makes it more difficult to conceal, etc.). However, this Wilson appeals to me a little (the accuracy and trigger pull of a 1911 in a 16 round Glock-type workhorse) - but I could just get another 1911 - 45 ACP - and then save all that money on new mags. Knowing me I will need at least 20 mags - so this is an additional $800 (I already have a lifetime supply of 1911 mags). That plus the cost of the Spec-Ops 9 is enough for an Elite. I'm still thinking about it ...

#32 ·
While some are posting, I'm shooting at the range.
This pic is a 4" target shot at 50 yards with my Kimber Custom Target. Twenty rounds...count um. See if your Glock will do the same. :D
I wouldn't care to comment on a Glock 1911. Nothing I could say would be worth print, or nice.

Sam,
that is some fine shooting. Do you give lessons?:D

Eddy

#35 ·
This Wilson is WAAY cool, but $2K is very serious dough. As an aside, an all-steel 1911 in 9mm is an absolute bullet hose, muzzle flip is a fraction of the 45 ACP guns so you're back on target in a nanosecond. You can shoot as fast as you can pull the trigger and hit pretty well.

I'd just be happy with a single-stack polymer framed 1911, same exact dimensions as the 1911-A1 but light (and cheap?). That which makes the Glock a good carry gun (no safties to fumble and a long stacky trigger) also make it harder to shoot well. The straight-back 1911 trigger that moves a millimeter from reset to bang is very conducive to accuracy, but training to keep the finger AWAY from the trigger until it's time to shoot is paramount. It's very easy to get an AD if you think it's okay to rest the finger on that nice light trigger.

If you desire a Glock "type" 1911 then Wilson is about as close as it gets. SPEC-OPS 9

A polymer framed carry pistol with a proven 16 round metal magazine, 1911 style fire control system, completely new barrel lockup and reengineered recoil system scaled for the 9x19 cartridge-all under 30 ounces unloaded. Add Wilson Combat's legendary heritage for steadfast quality and you get the perfect high capacity 9mm for range or street with the following cutting edge features:

• The unique, mid-length, reduced mass slide design generates minimal muzzle flip with any 9mm loading and is trimmer in every dimension than a standard 1911 slide. Angled front carry cuts enable easy reholstering and press checking while adding a distinctive custom profile.

• The all new, premium grade 416 stainless steel barrel with enhanced lockup geometry is ideally matched to the recoil impulse and pressure of even the hottest 9mm loading. The SPEC-OPS 9 chamber area has been likewise strengthened and the muzzle smoothly interfaces directly into the precision bored slide without the need for a separate bushing.

• The stainless steel frame rail assembly is CNC machined from solid billet steel to exacting dimensions and permanently fused to the polymer grip for unfailing, precise rigidity. Unlike other polymer 1911 style guns, this grip is guaranteed to never come loose when you least expect it.

• The SPEC-OPS 9's Kevlar and Zytel reinforced polymer grip has Wilson Combat's popular Starburst pattern molded in for the perfect amount of traction in varied conditions and enhanced concealed carry comfort over traditional grip designs.

• A reduced profile grip safety tang and unique, matching hammer reduce the concealment footprint profile of the SPEC-OPS 9 over a traditional 1911.

• The SPEC-OPS 9 retains the extensively tested Wilson KZ-9 16 round double column magazine for ultimate in 9mm feed reliability. The tapered magazine ensures rapid reloading under stress.

• The new low-profile sighting system is perfectly scaled to the SPEC-OPS 9 slide's reduced width and height. The front sight is easily end-user removable from its longitudinal dovetail.

It doesn't have a radial lug in the 1911 sense. The upper part of the chamber locks in the front of the ejection port (Lug 1) like a Glock. You have the 2 lower lugs like a 1911 (lug 2) and also an oversized breechface/hood area (lug 3). All are fitted for a solid 3 point lockup.

#36 ·
That would be cool. But the 1911 is intended to be a steel frame gun. Glock has always been polymer frame.

#37 · (Edited)
I allready had a trigger job done on the Dan Wesson... I think the only direction to go from here is a high end Wilson or other custom gun like a Les Bauer or something? I'm not sure it would suit me though. I lean towards the reliability side and less towards the target precision side. I'm sure wilsons could make a piece that would be a little more reliable but would it be worth the price? Probably not.
That's just my assumption though.

I have been thinking about switching to having the revolvers loaded up for home defense instead of the 1911s and others. Revolvers don't jam...

mike
gn
A 1911 should be pretty reliable anyway. I love the Rock Island I have. My friend has a 3 1/2 Colt M1991A1 and he says his isn't very reliable. Supposedly the shorter ones (Like the Officer size and Defender size) need to be made differently from the way the 5" is designed. Like the barrel is conical, the feed ramp is different, it holds fewer rounds because the frame is smaller, my buddy said something like a Gov't Model or Commander would have 3 barrel lugs where his only has 2, different recoil spring and the small short ones like the Officer and Defender get so far away from the original design of the Gov't Model that they start to have design flaws. The 1911 is supposed to be a 5". I think the Commander size is a 4 1/2". If you go with a 1911, stick by those two. Stay away from the smaller stuff. The Commander size is a pretty good all-around one to go with. It's easier to conceal than the 5". But it isn't shorter than he&&. Longer barrel cuts down recoil too.

What is Glock's reliability like? I've honestly never owned one or know anyone that has owned one. I would honestly buy one if I got another gun. Around here they are pretty common police service pistols so you can find just about anything to everything for them. Parts and accessories and etc. How are they in terms of concealability? I'd like a full size 17, but I'd think the 19 would be a bit easier to hide with a concealment holster. I've also been eyeing up the stainless steel 9mm Springfield 1911's they have down at Gander Mountain. I don't know if they are Mil-Spec but they look cool. But it's tough, cuz then I'd feel like I wouldn't use my other gun. Kind of like when you get a new toy and the old one just gets put away and left behind. :-(

#39 ·
Wasn't the aluminum frame the first attempt at a lighter weight 45? I remember when they were all ridiculed as junk, but many aluminum framed guns later, they are still going strong. I suppose using the right materials a polymer framed gun is possible but the difference in weight would not make that much difference. I have a Star PD that as Jeff Cooper said should be shot little and carried a lot. If they wanted a good little 1911 they should bring back the Star PD with a better grade of aluminum alloy that is more durable.

#40 ·
A Glock 1911 isn't going to happen. For one thing, Glock is selling all the Glocks they can make as fast as they can make them, why would they take on a totally different line?

Also, Glock is not set up to make a steel frame gun and the 1911 is not designed to use a polymer frame. Sure, S&W is making what is essentially a Glock and also making 1911 copies, but they are more flexible and were making 1911 frames, barrels and slides for a long time before they decided to put their own name on one.

Jim

#42 ·
and the 1911 is not designed to use a polymer frame.
Come on Larry, Glock making a 1911 would be akin to having Taurus make one...ain't no way it would ever look and work like the real thing.:D
American Tactical is marketing a polymer framed 1911.
https://www.gunsamerica.com/digest/american-tacticals-polymer-frame-1911-pisto-the-fxh-45/

Taurus makes a whole line of 1911's.
https://www.taurususa.com/gun-selector-results.cfm?series=19

Of course, the durability and accuracy of either is debatable. My ex-SIL had a Taurus 1911, and it was a POS.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.