What if Glock made a 1911?

Discussion in 'The 1911 Forum' started by larryh1108, Aug 31, 2009.

1. Doc1911

Doc1911 New Member

Quality 1911s are reliable just like quality Glock are. THough I own Glocks:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  2. glocknut

glocknut New Member

Yes, i now like 1911s. I also like my sigs and Rugers....

mike
    gn
  3. Dosjoel

Dosjoel New Member

Hey guys, how about this: both have their place. Glock is the workhorse, reliable, you can count on it everytime and it will get the round where the target is. While easy to maintain and takes little maintence, no one has ever accused it of being a beauty queen. No, but it gets the job done every time.

Now the 1911 is a marvel. How in the h__ did someone come up with a gun that still feels better in my hand than anything made in the last century? How is it has a delicious trigger and is a beauty queen all its own? Its like the car you can customize and it roars in a way only lions do. Its a man's man's gun. Proven in battle over an over. Unstopable for a century. Somebody stand up and salute!

Me? I carry a G26, shoot a G17 in GFFS but still love my Colts. Wouldn't be without a 1911!

I have a Colt Combat elite that is awesome to behold and a couple of Texas Ranger custome 1911s.

As Mr. R. King once said, "Can't we all just get along?"

Proverb of the day: 3:5

Attached Files:

4. glocknut

glocknut New Member

One thing about the 1911 trigger... i need it light. My Colts were about right out of the box as well as the Kimbers. The Dan Wesson needed to be lightened up a bit.
    When the 1911 trigger takes too much pull to set it off i can't shoot it for squat....

mike
    gn
  5. Shooter45

Shooter45 *Administrator* Staff Member

You're not alone Mike but the trigger can be lightned without a trigger job. Not as light but a difference you can tell.
  6. glocknut

glocknut New Member

I allready had a trigger job done on the Dan Wesson... I think the only direction to go from here is a high end Wilson or other custom gun like a Les Bauer or something? I'm not sure it would suit me though. I lean towards the reliability side and less towards the target precision side. I'm sure wilsons could make a piece that would be a little more reliable but would it be worth the price? Probably not.
    That's just my assumption though.

I have been thinking about switching to having the revolvers loaded up for home defense instead of the 1911s and others. Revolvers don't jam...

mike
    gn
  7. Doc1911

Doc1911 New Member

Try a Wilson or NHC (my favorite). I have 8 of them. Reliability 100%. You will never go back once you have ....
  8. GunBugBit

GunBugBit New Member

Isn't the question, what if someone made a 1911 out of plastic?
  9. Doc1911

Doc1911 New Member

Wilson is GETTING CLOSER with their new Spec-Ops 9.
  10. glocknut

glocknut New Member

GOOD GOD.... 16 +1 rounds onboard!!!!!!!! :eek::eek::eek::eek::D

Now thats FIREPOWER!!!!!!!!!!! :D:D

mike
    gn
  11. Doc1911

Doc1911 New Member

The normal 1911 is enough - 7-8 rounds. It is all about shot placement, not how many rounds your weapon carries (which makes it more difficult to conceal, etc.). However, this Wilson appeals to me a little (the accuracy and trigger pull of a 1911 in a 16 round Glock-type workhorse) - but I could just get another 1911 - 45 ACP - and then save all that money on new mags. Knowing me I will need at least 20 mags - so this is an additional $800 (I already have a lifetime supply of 1911 mags). That plus the cost of the Spec-Ops 9 is enough for an Elite. I'm still thinking about it ...
  12. techoca

techoca New Member

I wouldn't care to comment on a Glock 1911. Nothing I could say would be worth print, or nice.

Sam,
    that is some fine shooting. Do you give lessons?:D

Eddy
  13. Badman

Badman New Member

What If Glock Made A 1911? It would never be as good as a Lightweight Les Baer Commanche that has 27,00 rounds through it with 1 barrel replacement.

Attached Files:

14. techoca

techoca New Member

Awesome pistol Badman.
  15. Sandsculptor

Sandsculptor New Member

This Wilson is WAAY cool, but $2K is very serious dough. As an aside, an all-steel 1911 in 9mm is an absolute bullet hose, muzzle flip is a fraction of the 45 ACP guns so you're back on target in a nanosecond. You can shoot as fast as you can pull the trigger and hit pretty well.

I'd just be happy with a single-stack polymer framed 1911, same exact dimensions as the 1911-A1 but light (and cheap?). That which makes the Glock a good carry gun (no safties to fumble and a long stacky trigger) also make it harder to shoot well. The straight-back 1911 trigger that moves a millimeter from reset to bang is very conducive to accuracy, but training to keep the finger AWAY from the trigger until it's time to shoot is paramount. It's very easy to get an AD if you think it's okay to rest the finger on that nice light trigger.

16. hogger129

hogger129 Active Member

That would be cool. But the 1911 is intended to be a steel frame gun. Glock has always been polymer frame.
  17. hogger129

hogger129 Active Member

A 1911 should be pretty reliable anyway. I love the Rock Island I have. My friend has a 3 1/2 Colt M1991A1 and he says his isn't very reliable. Supposedly the shorter ones (Like the Officer size and Defender size) need to be made differently from the way the 5" is designed. Like the barrel is conical, the feed ramp is different, it holds fewer rounds because the frame is smaller, my buddy said something like a Gov't Model or Commander would have 3 barrel lugs where his only has 2, different recoil spring and the small short ones like the Officer and Defender get so far away from the original design of the Gov't Model that they start to have design flaws. The 1911 is supposed to be a 5". I think the Commander size is a 4 1/2". If you go with a 1911, stick by those two. Stay away from the smaller stuff. The Commander size is a pretty good all-around one to go with. It's easier to conceal than the 5". But it isn't shorter than he&&. Longer barrel cuts down recoil too.

What is Glock's reliability like? I've honestly never owned one or know anyone that has owned one. I would honestly buy one if I got another gun. Around here they are pretty common police service pistols so you can find just about anything to everything for them. Parts and accessories and etc. How are they in terms of concealability? I'd like a full size 17, but I'd think the 19 would be a bit easier to hide with a concealment holster. I've also been eyeing up the stainless steel 9mm Springfield 1911's they have down at Gander Mountain. I don't know if they are Mil-Spec but they look cool. But it's tough, cuz then I'd feel like I wouldn't use my other gun. Kind of like when you get a new toy and the old one just gets put away and left behind. :-(
    Last edited: Dec 16, 2009
  18. Suwannee Tim

Suwannee Tim New Member

This is like asking "What if the Glocknut were a man of culture and refinement?" Interesting as fodder and interesting in a metaphysical sense but hardly likely. If there were such a thing I could not own one, my wife won't let me have guns that blow up.
  19. NonPCnraRN

NonPCnraRN New Member

Wasn't the aluminum frame the first attempt at a lighter weight 45? I remember when they were all ridiculed as junk, but many aluminum framed guns later, they are still going strong. I suppose using the right materials a polymer framed gun is possible but the difference in weight would not make that much difference. I have a Star PD that as Jeff Cooper said should be shot little and carried a lot. If they wanted a good little 1911 they should bring back the Star PD with a better grade of aluminum alloy that is more durable.
  20. Jim K

Jim K New Member

A Glock 1911 isn't going to happen. For one thing, Glock is selling all the Glocks they can make as fast as they can make them, why would they take on a totally different line?

Also, Glock is not set up to make a steel frame gun and the 1911 is not designed to use a polymer frame. Sure, S&W is making what is essentially a Glock and also making 1911 copies, but they are more flexible and were making 1911 frames, barrels and slides for a long time before they decided to put their own name on one.

Jim