1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

What in the world is this bayonet for?

Discussion in 'Curio & Relics Forum' started by Insjim, Aug 13, 2011.

1. Insjim

Insjim Guest

Old french bayonets I guess put together for? What is your guys opinion, Its hinged to open. Looks like a real old job. Any opinions appreciated I have had it along time and its time to get some answers. Thanks

IMG_5569.jpg

IMG_5570.jpg

IMG_5571.jpg

IMG_5572.jpg
  2. Insjim

Insjim Guest

More pics

IMG_5576.jpg

IMG_5574.jpg

IMG_5575.jpg
  3. Jim K

Jim K New Member

The only thing I can think of is fire tongs. It certainly started out as a bayonet, but after being worked over it could never be put on a rifle again.

Jim
  4. Insjim

Insjim Guest

Started a 1881 French gras bayonet, Work looks to be period. Some sort of fire tongs is what I was thinking as well. I can see a soldier carrying this to make bullets holding the mold in the fire. you cannot really pick up anything heavy with it due to the leverage point and thumb handle. I find it an interesting tool of the period and wanted to share the one of a kind pics of it.
  5. Jim K

Jim K New Member

I don't think any soldier was making bullets in the 1880's; I had in mind something like heating food or rearranging wood in a fire. It may well be a one-off, showing someone's bright idea to solve a problem that might or might not exist.

It wouldn't even have to be connected in any way with the military; an old bayonet could just have been a "platform" to use in making a device having no connection with its original purpose. I recently saw something like that used on a TV "How It's Made" (or one of the similar shows) to flip over pieces of plastic coming off a stamping line. (I forget what they were making.)

Jim
  6. Insjim

Insjim Guest

I cannot imagine re-aranging wood with it as it has no leverage point to pick up anything heavy. Maybe a wagoneer essential for cooking. Hard to say. Just checking to see if the design looks familiar to anyone for its period.
  7. deadin

deadin Well-Known Member

Looks like it was made from two Gras bayonets. As for not handling anything heavy.... the "leverage" afforded by the thumb piece would be to open the tongs, not to grasp something. To do that one would have to squeeze them together ahead of the pivot point and then they might be strong enough.

However, I have no idea what it would be for.
  8. Bigbill

Bigbill Member

Making smores???
  9. The Duke

The Duke New Member

10. tractorfarmer

tractorfarmer New Member

I have seen fireplace tools that look similar to that on the end. The funny thing was, they also didn't have and way to hold a larger log. You would think whoever designed them would have made them with two long handles.
  11. Buffalochip

Buffalochip Active Member

The log tongs you describe usually have a scissor action. I'm wondering if this was some sort of surgical instrument--perhaps forceps for a veterinarian. Horses were still used by the military when these bayonets were in use. They wouldn't be used by a regular surgeon because of the wood handles, which trap bacteria
  12. Artemus

Artemus New Member

I believe it was developed right after the discovery of the hot dog so it could be held over a campfire.
  13. vanguard

vanguard New Member

I would sure like to see the size of the gun that thing goes on....lol
  14. RJay

RJay Well-Known Member

I've pulled up this post at least 20 times trying to figure out the use of such a device. Then it dawned on me, I betcha trench raiders used something like this to secure prisoners in WWI. Sneak up behind the Hun, grab him by the Ba**s. and just lead him , the prisoner walking backward of course, back to your own lines:D