What is a cult?

Discussion in 'Religious Discussions' started by ampaterry, Jan 14, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. reynolds357

reynolds357 Former Guest

If works are the determining factor of what is and is not a "Christian," then I tender to you as evidence that Hindu, Budhist, and even Muslims are "christians." Works based salvation is the main problem with J.W. and the Mormons. If one believes the false doctrines of works based salvation, then of course they are going to work. That is a no brainer.:) Works do not make one a Christian. The apostle Paul was very plain about that. One of my good friends is an Iranian who is a devout Muslim. He is very charitable and very generous. Does that make Him a Christian? Absolutely Not! Does a J.W. working their rear end off trying to make it into their version of heaven make them a Christian? Absolutely not.

What works I do or dont do, I will gladly address with you in private. My works are for the Lord, not for the praise of men. Seriously, if you want to know what I do; PM me.
    Last edited: Jan 18, 2012
  2. reynolds357

reynolds357 Former Guest

Back up a bit. There is a huge difference between evangelism, discipleship, and defense of doctrine. All three have their place.
    The reason this even came up is Romney. If someone is going to bash me and tell me I am an idiot for not voting for Romeny simply because he is Mormon; then that discussion logically moves to the area of doctrine. Doctrine is meaty. Evangelism is milky. Its just the way things are.
  3. tcox4freedom

tcox4freedom Well-Known Member Supporting Member

plus 1

I've stayed out of this conversation; as I do most babblings of vanity that say mine is better than yours; your wrong and I'm right, etc.

I've been associated with several denominations and believe me "ALL" of them have their faults and erroneous beliefs. Christ even says so in the Book of Revelation.

BUT!!!!!

That does NOT mean certain denominations don't have their place within the body. Read 1 Corinthians which not only applies to individual members, but can be applied to the WHOLE body which is Christ Jesus.

Currently I find the EPC lines up more with what I interpret from scripture. So, the EPC has become my denomination of "choice". The one thing I really love about the EPC is the fact they have laid forth a "doctrine" of what they call the "Essentials of Faith".

http://www.epc.org/about-the-epc/beliefs/essentials-of-our-faith/

I believe these "essentials" do a good job at describing what a "true" Christian church believes. They've also adobted a stance when it pertains to other denominations; which I think really captures the standpoint Jesus would have today.

The "motto" of the EPC is:

• In the "Essentials" of faith there is "UNITY".
    • There is "LIBERTY" in the non-essentials
    AND---
    • in "ALL" things there MUST be "CHARITY". (aka "LOVE")

-
  4. reynolds357

reynolds357 Former Guest

I agree with what you have said with one added qualification; the differences bewtween doctrine of Mormons, J.W. and Christians fall into the realf of "essentials" not "non-essentials."

I dont hang out with one denomination. I cross the lines regularly. Mature Christians can debate doctrine without it causing strife among them. Some of the best discussions I have involve the mixed group of Charismatics, Pentecostals, and Baptists. We debate doctrine without getting angry. Small minded people get angry when debating doctrine.
  5. rosierita

rosierita Active Member

in a perfect world, you can keep those things from intermingling. this is not a perfect world. you may be presented w/ what you assume is a discussion on doctrine, but how do you know that its not God giving you an opportunity to evangelize instead?

discernment is key. you cannot have true & accurate discernment w/out seeking God in a matter & asking Him for it. i fall short on this very thing often.

as far as romney goes, the fact that he's a mormon is the least of my worries. i'm not voting for him either & his faith isnt why. i base my decision on his flip-flopping. by their fruits you will know them... we know enough about romney's record to point out plenty that he does that goes against what God's Word says & what this country stands for. (assault weapons ban, abortion, etc.)
  6. reynolds357

reynolds357 Former Guest

Mormonism is one of many reasons I would not vote for Romney.
    I agree with what you said, but in this post modernistic culture, apologetics have in many cases become an essential part of evangelism.
  7. rosierita

rosierita Active Member

amen jack!

your post made me think of the below verses...

1 Corinthians 13

1 If I speak in the tongues[a] of men or of angels, but do not have love, I am only a resounding gong or a clanging cymbal. 2 If I have the gift of prophecy and can fathom all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have a faith that can move mountains, but do not have love, I am nothing. 3 If I give all I possess to the poor and give over my body to hardship that I may boast, but do not have love, I gain nothing.

4 Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. 5 It does not dishonor others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. 6 Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. 7 It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres.

8 Love never fails.
  8. tcox4freedom

True; But, I have found common ground with both Mormons & JWs.

For Instance:
    This is a scripture of "common" ground. Believing on this will strengthen unity between individuals. As you focus on scriptures of "common" beliefs, the HOLY SPIRIT will guide "both" of you though the TRUTH.

This allows the WORD of GOD to prevail in conversation and limits resistence & interference from the enemy of that TRUTH. Hopefully, the one in error will come away from the relationship "enlightened" and closer to GOD.

-
  9. RunningOnMT

RunningOnMT New Member

I believe the biggest issue on this thread has been that some of us believe that certain sects or beliefs have been defended, even promoted, in this thread, without the opportunity for those of us who disagree to fully state our case with evidence. The history of this thread makes it seem as if we (the bad guys), have attacked another religion without justification, while others righteously defended it.

The thing is the thread opened with a proclamation promoting an all inclusive theology which is in itself a unique statement of faith. I personally felt that my belief that certain religions are false was attacked or invalidated as if narrow minded and UN-Christian.

Honestly, I never would have entered into this discussion unless it was mutually understood that we could freely and openly present the evidence for our beliefs. While some of us made an attempt to defend our positions by citing scripture, there seemed to be the threat of censure or penalty for violating forum rules. I would have preferred the topic never be opened.

I would like to suggest to all that we put this thread to rest as it has ceased to be a positive and productive exchange of ideas and continuing the discussion is damaging the harmony and good will among forum members.
  10. reynolds357

reynolds357 Former Guest

It does seem that the rules have been laid out the we can defend Christianity only as long as we use a defense that is compatible with post modern philosophy.

The thread really became ridiculous at the point "Cult" and "Christian" began to be used inclusively. By strict definition the two mutually exclude each other.
  11. tcox4freedom

Plus 1
  12. ampaterry

ampaterry *TFF Admin Staff Chaplain* Staff Member Supporting Member

Although most posters managed to discuss the issue without insulting other forum members, those that could not have caused considerable upset.

My purpose here was to defuse the situation with one of the presidential candidates that was getting very heated.

I failed.

I apologize for starting the thread, and am now locking it.
  13. CampingJosh

CampingJosh Well-Known Member

I want to add one thing, a lesson that we can all take from this.

The word "cult" is always an insult. If you define another person's religion as a cult, it will be treated by the staff and moderators as an intentional insult, and you will be accordingly issued an infraction or banned from TFF.

You're free to believe that any other person's religion is a cult; you may not, however, say so here.
  14. ampaterry

ampaterry *TFF Admin Staff Chaplain* Staff Member Supporting Member

Thank you, CJ - true.

Let me reiterate what is on the main directory of TFF for this forum:

Religious Discussions
    A place to discuss topics of a religious or spiritual nature.

PLEASE NOTE: Because religious discussions have a tendency to become heated, this forum will be closely monitored. Criticism of individual beliefs, personal attacks, and trolling will not be tolerated. If a thread gets too heated, it WILL be locked or removed.