What is a forging void?

Discussion in 'Knives & Edged Items' started by OneFatCat, May 21, 2011.

1. OneFatCat

OneFatCat New Member

I received my new Bowie today but wanted to ask a question, what is a "forging void" and does it hurt the value of a knife if they have them?

OFC
  2. Country101

Country101 Active Member

A forging void should be a dimple in the metal that was formed while being forged. You get them sometimes when shaping a piece of metal. Say for instance, if there is a small divit on the side of an otherwise smooth side of a blade, that would most likely be what you are looking at. Hope that explains it. I could show you better than tell you.

I dont know the effect on value.
  3. OneFatCat

OneFatCat New Member

Here is my knife ..you can see what the seller discribed as a forging void ...one small dimple and one a little larger that runs along the line of one of the Damascus lines in the blade..also the blade looks to be scratched in the pictures where the larger void is but actually its not scratched ..its not as big as it appears in the photos ..the Damascus line makes it look bigger then it is ...the blade is 12 inches ..and 17 inches over all.

OFC

[​IMG][/IMG]
    [​IMG][/IMG]
    [​IMG][/IMG]
    [​IMG][/IMG]
    [​IMG][/IMG]
  4. Country101

Country101 Active Member

yeah, those are forging voids. He just didnt have enough metal to beat it smooth without misshaping the blade.

Nice lookin knife.
  5. Bill DeShivs

Bill DeShivs Well-Known Member

A forging void in damascus is a faulty weld. They show up when polishing.
  6. OneFatCat

OneFatCat New Member

Thanks guys ...so does it devalue the knife in any way or is it fairly common to see in this kind of knife?

Scott
  7. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

Don't know how the rest of the world looks at it, but here's my opinion.

If I was looking at a 1911, and there was a rust pit in the slide, and all the rust had been killed and cleaned out and the pit had been touched up so there was no chance of more corrosion, and the pit was shallow enough that there was no strength-loss in the slide, there is still a pit in the slide. That makes it worth less than an un-pitted slide.

The same with this knife. A "forging void" is a manufacturing mistake. An error. Maybe it was not the smith's fault. Maybe it just happened. Stuff does happen. But he should have never sold it. He should have put it back in the fire and tried it again.
  8. Country101

Country101 Active Member

Alpo, I believe a lot of people would actually like the fact that is has a void. It shows that it was actually hand made and not just ground down. It was actually hammered and only polished. If it hurts the value much at all, I would be suprised.
  9. Hawg

Hawg Active Member

It's not common in a cheaper damascus blade. I would think it very uncommon in an expensive knife. IMHO yeah it does detract from the value.