What is a good hog hunting bullet?

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by Deacon_Man, Jul 9, 2012.

1. Deacon_Man

Deacon_Man Member

I want to load up some hog hunting ammo for my M92 lever action .45 colt. What would you guys suggest for the best bullet and powder to use? What would have the best knock down power at say, 75 to 100 yards?
  2. myfriendis410

myfriendis410 Member

I use the Barnes. 100% weight retention, good expansion, excellent accuracy. Load up as hot as the gun will stand. If you are loading to pistol power levels you won't get good terminal performance. (255 gr. lead at 750 fps for original factory)

I've never loaded it in pistol rounds, but I have used pistol bullets in my muzzleloader. However; velocities are considerably higher (about 2,100 fps) in my m/l.
  3. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

My got to has been the XTP for years. I use the 240 gr in .44 mag at 1850 fps from my marlin levergun.

Now thats for a woods gun, hutning from a blind and I use it equally for deer as well.

When we run our traps and snares for pigs I use a .22LR pistol. but always have my .45 for just in case.
  4. savage170

savage170 Member

5. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    Got to have my Hornady XTP's! I think they are probably the best pistol bullets out there! Controlled expansion to 1.5x its original diameter over a wide range of velocities.
    Heavier jacket stands up to the high pressures and velocities of the highest performance handgun cartridges.
  6. howlnmad

howlnmad Well-Known Member

I'm with Josh and Carver on the XTP's. Great expansion and penetration properties.
  7. al45lc

al45lc New Member

There are a number of bullet makers out there making 250-300 gr cast and gas checked bullets for your purpose, these will do very well on hogs at the right loading.
    I've used XTP's, they're ok, but pricey IMO.
    The 92 will handle hot loads, making it a great hog gun, IMO.