What is a good scope for rabit hunting?

Discussion in '.22-Rimfire Forum' started by Moby, Feb 3, 2011.

1. Moby

Moby New Member

I have this scope. It's pretty fair but I've been invited rabit hunting.
    I don't know much about scopes. This one is cheap. Should I get a better one? I'm assuming I won't be shooting more than 30-40 yards. About right?

Tasco Rimfire RF37X20D 3-7 x 20mm Riflescope

The rest of the rifle is stock. But I do have a set of Eagel 2230 30 round magazines taped together so I can flip them around and keep shooting.

Thanks for any opinions

Moby
  2. GunHugger

GunHugger Well-Known Member

I use a shotgun for rabbit hunting.
  3. Moby

Moby New Member

Appreciate ya partner, but we're taking these Rugars, I just was wondering if anyone in here went rabbit hunting with one and what scope he might have.
    Last edited: Feb 3, 2011
  4. todd51

todd51 Well-Known Member

Moby, I don't have a lot of experience shooting rabbits with a scoped .22. Most of mine was with open iron sights but I do have three .22 scoped rifles that I plink with. I don't think your scope will give you any problems hunting rabbits if it is properly sighted in. I would suggest that you will probably do better using the lower magnification levels giving you a larger field of view to spot that bunny. I would also suggest you leave those high capacity mags at home. They may be a blast at the range but will just be in the way and ad weight that you will have to tote around while hunting.

Welcome and good luck with those bunnies.
  5. Moby

Moby New Member

Thanks Todd,
    First, thank you for your service as a fire fighter.
    And thanks for the tips. I plan on taking the stock mag for the hunt.
    I probably won't get any anyway, but it should be fun.
  6. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    Moby, I have killed a lot of rabits in my life with a .22, and my advice is to use open sights. I have hunted them down here in the south, and out west, all the way to the left coast, and have killed my share over a good light at night. When I was much younger I killed them with a stick. Using a scope you might get one, or two, but open sights will serve you a lot better. I have never even tried hunting rabits with a scoped rifle. There won't be any long range shooting, and they have a bad habbit of being very fast. I clocked one at 40mph.
  7. Regular Joe

Regular Joe New Member

The last time I hunted bunnies with open sites, I was about 12. For the 40 years since then, it's been scopes for everything. A 2~7 should be great.
    Where someone suggests the lower magnifications because they run fast, he's just plain telling you the wrong (inhumane) way to hunt. Rabbits ALWAYS stop. Sometimes behind a bush, but much more often, they'll stop in a place where they can see you, and they think they're far enough away. That's when you can place a very careful and humane shot, with the scope at more like 5 to 7 power. It doesn't take a whole lot of training to bring the rifle up while the bunny is running, and follow it with your "free" eye. When he stops, your free eye guides the scoped eye.
    With a 10/.22, I carry 2 factory mags, with one in the rifle and one in a small fanny pack, with more ammo. You normally won't dump a whole mag at once. After one shooting session, I put the fresh mag in, and reload the other while I'm walking.
  8. mr.t7024

mr.t7024 Member

The scope is fine,just make sure it is sighted in and keep it set at the 4 power. BTW what is a stock mag...?:D
  9. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

do lots of bunny hunting with .22s here moby and theres 2 ways to do it... one is to sit and watch for one to come out in the open to forage then pop his head off with a well placed shot from a good distance, which requires eagle sight to do with the irons or a good 6X at the very least for those of us who cant see so well. I prefer 3-9X variable and even a 10X if I have 1 to use.

The other way to do it is to trudge em up walking through the hay field, this takes a good amount of intuitive skill and a non magnification sight because youre almost always gonna be shooting them on the run, which isnt hard, but is best done with a shotgun if youre living in a rural area. For this type of bunny slaughter I recommend a decent red-dot reflex sight, heck even a shotgun scope with 1-2X magnification will do.

Scopes best suited to .22 semi-auto rifles are those designed for spring powered air rifles. The GAMO scopes are top notch for a good shootn .22, and very affordable...
  10. todd51

todd51 Well-Known Member

Josh, most of my bunny hunting was done with a couple of basset hounds doing the hard work. They hunt slow as molasses and the rabbit was usually 30 to 50 feet in front of them concentrating on the dogs. So the shot was at a sitting rabbit + or - 25yards away. You could have taken the rabbit with just about any fire arm. Watching those dogs was such a kick that I usually just let them run the rabbit unless I really needed some for the pot. While the Beagles go spastic when they are on a rabbit those Basset hounds never get out of low gear. They are clowns.
  11. Kent Detective

Kent Detective New Member

My thoughts on this are here -

http://www.thefirearmsforum.com/showthread.php?t=83034&highlight=scope snob

I have tried expensive scopes for rabbit shooting but return to my beloved JSR £33 special every time. :eek:

Read my thread and then weep if you have wasted money on expensive scopes.

Be careful taking advice from people who just have too much money and like to buy "gucci" gear just to be able to tell their mates they are rich and classy :D:D

Open (iron) sights are NOT the best and most effective option for you if you wish to shoot rabbit!
    Last edited: Feb 4, 2011
  12. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

I know what you mean. I never got that serious with bunny huntin to use dogs, but my boss has an old basset named max, and max dont get in a hurry for nuttn...
  13. Zane71464

Zane71464 Well-Known Member

My suggestion would be to hunt these critters down with open sights.
    With a scope, it's harder to get them in your crosshairs as more than likely they'll be moving and moving fast! As a kid, we used to rabbit hunt all the time with .22's and we did try a scope a time or two, but I had my best results with open sights.
    Open Sights all the way!
  14. Big Shrek

Big Shrek Well-Known Member

I have a marked tendancy to cuss Tasco scopes, as they've never lasted very long with me.
    I'd be willing to say Use anything BUT a Tasco.

For a fast-moving target at under 75yards, you might wanna consider a Red Dot.
  15. dragonfly

dragonfly New Member

Years ago I shot many, many rabbits and squirrels with my trusty Win 62A and a Weaver B4 scope. When you are proficient (didn't know married at that time) to a rifle and scope, when you bring it up to your shoulder, you are JUST looking through the scope and the rabbit - or squirrel- or pigeon or whatever. There is no searching for the critter running or sitting. It is there just the same as looking through a peep sight. I shoot an ATD now with a Redfield 3x9 and leave it on 3 or 4 for general hunting. I have a Weaver K4 on my Henry H001.

I have hunted with beagles, and without, with friends, some of which used shotguns. I don't ever remember anyone with a shotgun getting more rabbits than I did on any hunt. Practice and familiarity is what makes the scope second nature. Keep both eyes open if you are shooting with your dominant eye. If not, you need to learn to shoot from the other side or wear a patch on your off (dominant) eye. A scope is really just a fancy peep sight. When you see your intended target and POI, your eye and brain will center the critter (POA) right in the middle of the scope. Then all you have to learn - from wing shooting - is a little lead if you need it. Simple.:rolleyes: