What is a I.J. Double action model 1900 .22 cal worth

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by lenbella, Mar 12, 2010.

1. lenbella

lenbella New Member

What is a I.J. Double action model 1900 .22 cal worth?

I have been given a nice gift and I'm now looking for info and worth.

Chrome finish I.J. Double Action Model 1900 cal .22 with Owl's Head grips. The barrel length is approx. 2 1/4", I removed the grips and found that the serial number does not have any letters just numbers.

How can I find out what year it was made and how much is it worth?

Also is this revolver a black powder model?

Thank you,
    Rich
    Last edited: Mar 12, 2010
  2. b.goforth

b.goforth New Member

those model 1900's without a letter code to the serial number were made between 1900 and 1908. these are the ones designed for black powder cartridge pressures. model ammo should not be used in these revolvers.

I.J. MODEL 1900-------------------------------------------1900-1941
    Does not have Hammer the Hammer action, solid frame, double action, pull pin cylinder release. Nickel finish standard with blue optional, all barrels are octagon shaped. Offered in three frame sizes and four calibers, grip panels are hard rubber with Owls head logo; Barrel length; small frame 2 ¼ inches, medium & large frame 2 ½ inches, other length barrels were offered at extra charge; Calibers: small frame .22 rimfire with 7 rounds cylinder capacity; medium frame .32 rimfire & centerfire with 5 rounds cylinder capacity, large frame .32 centerfire with 6 rounds cylinder capacity, .38 centerfire with 5 rounds cylinder capacity; Weight with standard barrel length: small frame 11 ounces, medium frame 12 ounces, large frame 18 ounces; Height: small frame 3 3/8 inches, medium frame 3 ½ inches, large frame 3 7/8 inches; Frame length: small frame 4 inches, medium frame 4 ¼ inches, large frame 4 7/8 inches; Overall length with standard barrel length: small frame 6 inches, medium frame 6 1/8 inches, large frame 6 ¾ inches. Note: large frame model not introduced until 1903. DOES NOT HAVE HAMMER THE HAMMER ACTION.
    VALUE: 100%=$135 60%=$85

1900-1908= black powder= no letter code suffix
    1909 -1941= will have a letter code usffix to the serial number

bill
  3. lenbella

lenbella New Member

Thank you,

Do they even sell black powder ammo any more?

Lenbella
  4. b.goforth

b.goforth New Member

not to my knowledge.
    bill
  5. lenbella

lenbella New Member

Since my I.J. Double Action Model 1900 2 1/4" Oct. barrel 7 shot 22 Cal. (with No Alph. in the serial number) is a black powder gun, can i use bullets with regular gun powder?

Does you know the value of this gun?

Thank you,

Rich
  6. RJay

RJay Well-Known Member

It is recommended that you use nothing more powerful than .22 shorts or better yet either CB Shorts or CB Longs. I believe the late Bill Goforth recommended not to use anything but the powder less shells { CB's } in these old guns.
    Last edited: Aug 6, 2012