What is a Mashburn Arms 22 Hornet worth

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by MASHBOO, Dec 7, 2010.

1. MASHBOO

MASHBOO New Member

Hello,

My uncle was Art Mashburn and years ago, my father William (Bud) Mashburn purchased a Mashburn Arms Co 22 Hornet which I inherited when my father passed away.

I have searched the internet and although I find many articles on the Mashburn Bee, I have never seen any information on the Mashburn Arms 22 Hornet.

Does anyone know what this rifle might be worth? It is in excellent shape and the stock is beautiful, but there is some minor pitting towards the end of the barrel. I would never consider selling this rifle, but we are considering increasing insurance to cover it, should it be lost. But again, I have no idea what it is worth and may not be worth increasing insurance coverage.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Jeff Mashburn
  2. StoneChimney

StoneChimney New Member

Would have to see the rifle, what action it's built on, etc. Art Mashburn did not have a proprietary action, but built on 03 Springfields and 98 Mauser (mostly). He did design several cartridges, notably the Mashburn Bee and some magnum cartridges, but I dont believe he did anything with the .22 Hornet.

The good news is that Art Mashburn is a known name, and the rifle has a degree of provenance because of your family connection.

If you can post pictures we can get close on value.
  3. mtnboomer

mtnboomer New Member

Oklahoma by birth. America by the grace of God.
    Mashburn Arms............now there's a name I haven't heard in years! I remember when their shop used to be on Eastern Ave. in OKC. The first 1911 I ever handled was in that store, back in about 1980. :D

Do you live in the OKC Metro area, MASHBOO?
  4. 300 H&H

300 H&H Active Member

Jeff,

If pictures are a possibility they would be a very big help. Mashburn arms are known by those of us old enough, and could very well command a good price, especially in a currently loaded factory caliber (a popular one at that). Over the years I have seen several of your uncles rifles, but never one in 22 Hornet. If it were in one of Mashburn's proprietary calibers, somewhat less....

Best regards, Kirk
  5. MASHBOO

MASHBOO New Member

Hey everyone, thanks for all of your replies. I have really enjoyed reading your comments about my uncle. No, I am not from OKC, but I have many relatives in Oklahoma and remember as a kid, going into Art's gunshop in OKC with my dad and going gaa gaa over all of the guns he had.

I am uploading some pictures my son took of the actions. We are in the process of moving so we had to use his phone. Hope they come through ok. I know the close-up is not all that clear. Sorry for that.

Again, thanks so much for all of your input. My father also had a Mashburn Arms 270 that was in a bit worse shape. It had been used pretty hard, but it too had Mashburn Arms stamped on the barrel and that went to my nephew.

Thanks,

Jeff Mashburn

Attached Files: