What is a Ruger 22 auto pistol worth these days?

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by williamprince69, Sep 14, 2009.

1. williamprince69

williamprince69 New Member

It's well used but no rust.
    DSCN6451.jpg
  2. Hammerslagger

Hammerslagger New Member

It will depend on the geographic market. Two years ago, the pictured pistol would likely bring about $150 in MI.

Today, it will likely sell for somewhat more, as all prices have gone up since last November.
  3. TOOHSOTKIL

TOOHSOTKIL New Member

HS is probably spot on. But folks are turning their noses up at the MkIII`s and this has added some value to the Mk-MkI-MkII`s.
    I personally like the 6 inch version of the line. Most tweak the HB/target of the series;do it with the lighter weight model and you have all the accuracy you will ever need in a light weight package. In then makes the ultimate belt gun.

You can`t buy an entry level for what that one will bring, but you could spend alittle and upgrade it/enjoy it.
  4. wingspar

wingspar Member

I have one of these also. Manufactured in 1950, and bought brand new by my father. I’m not interested in selling, but am curious as to it’s value.

[​IMG]
  5. Hammerslagger

Hammerslagger New Member

If you put $100 on one of these in a gun shop it will likely sell in a day or two. At $200 it will likely sit for a while.
  6. wingspar

wingspar Member

I would think it would be worth a lot more than that in todays market. At that price, I’d add a few more of these to my collection.
  7. Hammerslagger

Hammerslagger New Member

Made in 1950 should have Red eagle grip medallion. I am not a collector, not particularly knowledgeable or old Rugers, but am aware that that the "red eagle" pistols made before Strum's death bring more money in original condition, than the later "black eagle" Mark I's. I am not sure if your's (pictured) is missing a medallion or they only applied the medallion to the right grip. {which I seem to remember}

In any case the best way to determine likely market price is to visit and register with several of the bigger Internet gun auctions. Then you can see what is actually being bid. At the moment a seller is trying to move a 1951 "red eagle" for $400 with no bids an hour before auction end.

With 5.5 hours to go, a nice Mark I "Black eagle" target model (WITH BOX) is up to $225 with 4 bids (auction #140273598). A new Mark III 22/45 is offered at $259 plus shipping.

Most persons go to a gun shop to buy a gun to shoot. They are usually looking for a significant discount, compared to "new", when they consider a used firearm.
  8. TOOHSOTKIL

TOOHSOTKIL New Member

Red Eagle grip guns bring a premium, but must be intact And decent condition. Decent not meaning for age either, simply condition.
    I have seen NIB bring over $500.00 and are very rare.

There are also employee/factory custom guns that are very rare and also command premiums in the Ruger auo-pistol line.
  9. wingspar

wingspar Member

The red medallion is missing. I remember it from years ago, but you can see the spot where it used to be below the top screw in the grip. The serial number of the gun is 4xxx. Seems like a very low number, and according to the serial number and the Ruger web site, it was manufactured in 1950. This model was manufactured from 1949 to 1982. The medallion was only on the right grip. If I knew where to get replacement medallion, I would replace it.

Here is a photo of the other grip. No medallion.

[​IMG]
  10. fyimo

fyimo New Member

I'm sure there are collecters out there for older Ruger 22's but as in most cases of gun collecting pristine is what the collector wants and they are willing to pay a premium for the right gun in that condition, sometimes hugh amounts. Less then pristine and the collector value drops rapidly unless it is extremely rare or very very old.:)

I'd place your gun around $200 in value.
  11. Teejay9

Teejay9 New Member

Southwest Corner of the US, "Where no stinking fen
    I'd buy it in a second in that condition and a 4 digit S/N. Well kept and certainly worth $200. TJ
  12. Hammerslagger

Hammerslagger New Member

Looking at the photos on this thread, it appears that Ruger changed the medallion from red to black and changed its location from the left grip to the right after Mr. Strum's death.

Psychologically, I am more of the shooter mindset than the collector one. However, collectors obviously exist, and will increase or decrease how they value things on seemingly minor details.

You need to find that original red medallion and skillfully reattach it. You might try Ruger, if you can not find yours. They did a "red eagle" commemorative edition of this pistol a few years back.
  13. wingspar

wingspar Member

A collector I’m not. I’m just fortunate to have this gun cause my father bought it brand new in it’s second year of production. When I can find some shells, I’m going to take this out and shoot it. I would not sell it for $500. It has more sentimental value than monetary value.

When my father passed away in 1988, my mother put this, two extra clips, and some shells in a box and gave it to me just to get it out of the house. My father was a NRA Life Member since the 1940's. My mother did not like guns, but put up with having them in the house while he was alive. As for the red medallion, it is not in the box, and probably fell off and was lost before she gave it to me. I do remember it tho. It was red. I think I may have to see if I can get a replacement from Ruger.
  14. AngelDeville

AngelDeville New Member

I'd give you $250 without flinching.
  15. zoom

zoom New Member

By how much is the value of the pistol reduced when its red eagle medallion went missing?