1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

What is a soldier?

Discussion in 'Vietnam Memories Forum' started by Guest, Mar 8, 2003.

1. Guest

Guest Guest

LarryJK
    Senior Chief Moderator III
    (6/26/01 7:09:21 pm)
    | Del All What is a soldier?
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    This says a lot considering what was going on back home when we were in Vn. I found this on the 173rd Abn Bde site.

Do you know what a soldier is, young man?
    He's the chap who makes it possible for civilised folk to despise war.
    - - Allan Massie b. 1938 , British author.

Edited by: LarryJK at: 6/26/01 8:10:18 pm

dap22
    Senior Chief Moderator II
    (6/26/01 7:19:45 pm)
    | Del
    ezSupporter
    Re: What is a soldier?
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Larry, a pretty interesting statement. I don't know about you but I suspect you had the exact situation as I did. When I told my friends that I was going into the Army, some thought it was great and some thought it was pretty bad. Of course, for me the year was 1965 and Vietnam was barely heard of. But as the years continued, it was apparent that a major polarization of our country was happening. Witness the riots and protests and campus strikes.

I'm not sure just what percentage of those who protested, rioted, and struck were civilized (not too many) but I guess when Alan Massie wrote that in 1938, during England's involvement in WW2, that might have been a true statement. But it was hardly applicable to the Vietnam era the way I see it. After all, I doubt a civilized person would spit on anyone else.

Edited by: dap22 at: 6/26/01 8:21:34 pm

LarryJK
    (6/26/01 7:50:18 pm)
    | Del Re: What is a soldier?
    Dave...there were war protesters even in WW II. I can only reference this statement by saying that I was watching a documentary 3-6 months ago when the topic was mentioned. I would imagine a good search of the internet would develop something about this.

homer4
    (6/27/01 5:52:18 am)
    Sounds pretty much like right on the mark Larry.
    ...and two hard boiled eggs.

poppy4
    (7/3/01 9:09:25 pm)
    Larry:

OK!! I give up. I'm here Very interesting!!! With respect to What Is A Soldier the following is my answer:

SOLDIER

I was that which others did not want to be.
    I went where others feared to go,
    and did what others failed to do.
    I asked nothing from those who
    gave nothing, and reluctantly
    accepted the thought of eternal
    loneliness...should I fail.
    I have seen the face of terror;
    felt the stinging cold of fear;
    and enjoyed the sweet taste of
    a moment's love.
    I have cried, pained, and hoped...
    but most of all, I have lived
    times others would say were
    best forgotten.
    At least, someday, I will be able to
    say that I was proud of what I was...
    A SOLDIER!!!
    (George L. Skypeck, VVLP)

Not my words but certainly my feelings. For all of you, I extended my thanks to all of you for your service to our country and for you that served in VietNam, Our Cause Was Just. God Bless, Keep The Faith, and Have a Great 4th of July!! P.S. Larry, this one is for YOU, 'bro. Your "baby" Bro.

Tac401
    Administrator
    (7/3/01 9:23:26 pm)
    | Del
    ezSupporter
    Re: What is a soldier?
    Welcome Home And Welcome Aboard poppy4!

Thumbs Up My Friend!

JD

LarryJK
    (7/3/01 10:13:35 pm)
    Rick...welcome to the board!! Long time coming! I hope you will share some memories!

gorourke
    V.I.P. Member
    (7/3/01 10:19:09 pm)
    Poppy4,

Thanks Brother. Welcome Home and welcome to our board.

P. Gary

hope6970
    (7/3/01 11:16:17 pm)
    Poppy4,

Thank you for coming on the board and a big Welcome Home!
    Will be looking foreward to hearing more from you. - Hope

homer4
    (7/4/01 4:10:27 am)
    Well,how about that ! A warm welcome to your butt there Poppy !

By the way!, big brother already told us about that skinny butt of yours...says it can't compare to his! ( won't Moon us tho for us to check for sure )....anyways...we all here recognized you right from the git...the baggy backside of them dungarees gave ya away.

So go ahead and park the skinny little thing...kick off the flip-flops and have a couple of cold ones Rick!!! lot's of great guys and gals about...lots of memories ( some good...some not so good )...lot's of humor...good bar's with cold beer...and a whole lot more.

Heck!...you I are related bud...both of us being " 4's " and all. I happen to have the cutest butt by the way.

Butts are big with us...we do alot of grab-assin around here Rick...so feel free to jump in...you are very Welcome here.

homer4
    (7/4/01 4:17:36 am)
    Hehe!!! Gonna find out lot's of goodies on ya Larry my friend...you know how little brothers can be. Heck !,I is one! I have two older brothers both Army...Earl an RTO as well has a plastic elbow now from small arms fire in 68. Chris was ASA in Korea and Thailand ( lot's of stuff to do with Arc Lites ).

My brother Earl keeps it locked away.

It's great to have Rick aboard bud.

Edited by: homer4 at: 7/4/01 5:21:17 am

oneknight
    (7/4/01 6:02:21 am)
    Rick,

Welcome to the board. Glad you finally found your way
    here. Gets boring picking on Larry all the time, so just
    hang in there, it will be your turn before you know it.

Relax and enjoy, we're a friendly bunch here.

Donna

TShooters
    V.I.P. Member
    (7/4/01 1:04:10 pm)
    Welcome to the BB, Rick and WELCOME HOME!

Sharon

gorourke
    V.I.P. Member
    (7/4/01 10:37:58 pm)
    | Del Re: Triple Deuce
    Rick,

Your brother informed me that you were with Alpha Company 2-22 Inf. 68-69. I was with Alpha Company 2-22 Inf. “Triple Deuce” 69-70.

I started with 3 Platoon. “My Special Angel” and ended with HQ on “House of the Rising Sun”. Any of those names ring a bell?

P. Gary

dap22
    Senior Chief Moderator II
    (7/5/01 6:21:10 am)
    | Del
    ezSupporter
    Re: Welcom
    Rick:
    Welcome aboard.........glad you're with us.
    Dave aka dap22

Indybear57
    (7/5/01 8:54:57 am)
    | Del
    ezSupporter
    Re: Welcome
    Rick-welcome to our little corner of the world. Did your older bro have to put you into a headlock to get you here? Look forward to seeing more from you in the future. Welcome home and thank you for your service.

Mike L