what is disadvantage of neck sizing only

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by accident, Mar 9, 2010.

1. accident

accident Well-Known Member Supporting Member

I read alot in this forum of guys firing their cases then only neck sizing their reloads.I think i'm correct in assuming these fire-formed cases now fit the chamber of their particular gun better resulting in better accuracy.But there must be some disadvantage only i don't know.I have only experience in FL resizing.I don't own a neck sizer only die.I's this something i should get into,or with my limited experience should i keep FLsizing as i always have?I'm not a competition shooter so i don't need subMOA groups.Any insight would be appreciated.I still have lots of unanswered questions and only the guys here to ask.THANKS Joe
  2. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

the only disadvantage to neck sizing only is you really cant do it for an autoloader, which really sucks because my DPMS would shoot even tighter groups than 3/4 moa:(
  3. Lee C.

Lee C. New Member

I neck size for better accuracy, And Im looking for longer case life. But all my neck dies have a sizeing bushing in then to get the neck tension to hold my bullets.

But you can neck size with your full lenght die if you just back it out. Then bring it back down in the press tell you get the amont of neck you want sized.My oldest son has a 270 that all he dose is full lenght the cases add powder and bullet. And it is a pretty good at shooting under a 1/2" any day. But if your going to start neck sizeing i would look at learning to anneal your cases to keep the cases soft and keeping your necks from spliting. There are a lot you can do for better case life. But it's all up to you and how much time you want to put in to it. Have fun any ways,
  4. jim brady

jim brady Well-Known Member

Neck sizing does tend to give better accuracy AND longer case life. Don't know if I can agree about the need to anneal the cases for neck-sizing vs FL sizing. If anything, you are working the brass less by just neck sizng.

JLA is 100% right about the down-side of neck sizing in that you really can't do that for an autoloader. That pretty much limits neck sizing to bolt guns or single shots. The other down side is that neck sized ammo is pretty much limited to be used in the rifle it was last fired in. In other words, if it came down in a pinch where you had to share ammo with someone else, your ammo could jam their weapon.

The only caliber of about 20 that I reload for that I neck size is my .303 British. That's because of the over-size chamber issue the .303 commonly has.I'm not a 'know-it-all' - just my nickle's worth. Good Luck!!
  5. accident

THANKS,I think I'll keep FLsizing like i've been doing.even if it may shorten brass life.maybe one day i'll get a neck sizer die for my 6.5Rem Mag since the brass is hard to find,it's a bolt gun and i don't have to worry about using it in another gun cuz there aren't hardly any guns in that caliber,in over 30yrs i've never seen another.
  6. muddober

muddober Active Member

The only disadvantage that I am aware of neck sizing only, is that you may not be able to shoot a neck sized only loaded case in a different gun than the one you shot the initial loading from because it may not chamber in a different gun. As for accuracy all Coopers are fired with reloads and every case is fully resized by staff. If you have ever seen a test target shot from a Cooper there is not much more to be desired.

Ron
  7. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

geez, what the heck are you doing shootn the definition of obsoletion;)

just messin with ya, I got a few oddballs my self.
  8. accident

Jla, You're absolutely right about the oddball statement.I think that makes it challenging,trying to find brass,bullets that shoot good in it etc.I just saw that Midway is listing new brass for it.As long as i can keep re-loading it,I'll keep shootin' it. Joe.