What is eaten in a week...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by dcd_enterprises, Jan 13, 2008.

1. dcd_enterprises

dcd_enterprises New Member

I'm so glad they didn't go to 358 for the American portion of this...:eek::D This is undoubtedly one of the most interesting e-mails I've ever received. Take a good look at the diet of each country and the cost of what is eaten in one week.

Germany: The Melander family of Bargteheide
    Food expenditure for one week: 375.39 Euros or $500.07

image001.jpg

United States: The Revis family of North Carolina (Sure hope most Americanfamilies eat more fresh fruits and vegetables and less junk food than this family.)Food expenditure for one week $341.98

image002.jpg

Italy: The Manzo family of Sicily
    Food expenditure for one week: 214.36 Euros or $260.11

image003.jpg

Mexico: The Casales family of Cuernavaca
    Food expenditure for one week: 1,862.78 Mexican Pesos or $189.09

image004.jpg
  2. dcd_enterprises

Poland: The Sobczynscy family of Konstancin-Jeziorna
    Food expenditure for one week: 582.48 Zlotys or $151.27

image005.jpg

Egypt: The Ahmed family of Cairo
    Food expenditure for one week: 387.85 Egyptian Pounds or $68.53

image006.jpg

Ecuador: The Ayme family of Tingo
    Food expenditure for one week: $31.55

image007.jpg

Bhutan: The Namgay family of Shingkhey Village
    Food expenditure for one week: 224.93 ngultrum or $5.03

image008.jpg
  3. dcd_enterprises

Chad: The Aboubakar family of Breidjing Camp
    Food expenditure for one week: 685 CFA Francs or $1.23

image009.jpg

Today's Quote "If we had no winter, the spring would not be so pleasant: if we did not sometimes taste of adversity, prosperity would not be so welcome." -- Charlotte Bronte
  4. justdoug

justdoug New Member

More family members = LESS food?

And...are those surplus gasoline "cans" they're using for their water?

Ain't this a shame.

Geeze.
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2008
  5. Lilly

Lilly New Member

OMG! It is an interesting comparison!
    I almost embarrasses me as to what I spend and what i buy for the two of us in one week.
    Lilly
  6. Willie

Willie Active Member

Those last few pictures make me want a STEAK,rare,cooked on the grill. Cow is the best!!!
  7. browna88

browna88 New Member

That really puts it in perspective doesn't it.
  8. 358 winchester

358 winchester *TFF Admin Staff*

Man they spend as much in one week as I spend every other month. I bet you they don't eat beans or potted meat. And haven't a clue as to how to trap a bird to add a little extra meat to the rice & gravy.
    Oh well I guess I am just different or as y'all like to say
    "Just ain't right" :D:D:D
  9. justdoug

justdoug New Member

MMM! That does sound good. We had a day of nice weather last week and I went to the light the grille. There's 4 brand new bags of charcoal in the coal room but no grille. Somebody has stolen my grille is the only thing we can figure. And guess what NOBODY sells this time of year...........
    Anyway a ribeye or a porterhouse (t-bone if that's all's available), or a london broil. Minimum 7/8" thick and five minutes on each side fresh out the pack (cold) makes for darn good rare steak. BEEF, it's what's for dinner.

Who can drink all of those 2 liters of soda in a week?
  10. LurpyGeek

LurpyGeek New Member

In a lot of places they drink large amounts of soda like that because the water is not suitable to drink.
  11. browna88

browna88 New Member

I like the way you think my friend!
  12. justdoug

justdoug New Member

Alright sir, I thank you. I would like to make it known that this is a 2/3 time a month ordeal. I can't afford to do it any more often than that. Unless of course, there's a sale. One other tid bit about beef. Frozen beef...sucks! I either buy and burn (not literally but it sounded good) or not not at all.
  13. 358 winchester

358 winchester *TFF Admin Staff*

pork is better then beef any day :D
  14. justdoug

justdoug New Member

Oh my...PORK!

Or more importantly...pork FAT.

Fresh butchered - fresh suasage. Mmm, Mmm, Mmm!

But pork FAT especially RIB. Western style pork rib...FAT.

ooowey, gooowey, chewwy. :D
  15. Wolf 5.7

Wolf 5.7 New Member

Out of Curiosity, what percentage of each families budget is that? Is the African family paying a higher percentage of their wealth towards food than the German or American family. It was embarrassing to see a American family eating like pigs. Did anyone else notice that the less wealthy nations ate better than the wealthier nations? Americans and Germans are chomping down processed food, and everyone else is eating fresh veggies? As a Nation, we need to do better (and yes my own personal diet is just as bad if not worse than that photo.)
  16. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    The one thing I noticed here is the amount of meat. As you go down the list there is less meat, untill you start to get into the poorer nation's diets, where there is no meat at all! It goes from meat to bread, to potatoes, and then to mostly grain. Like Wolf 5.7 I was wondering how much, or what percentage, of the total monthly budget this food was.
  17. coachwill

coachwill Forum Sponsor

I think we spend around $120-$200 a week depending on if our family of 5 goes out to eat that week or not. The vast majority of our foods are fresh vegetables, fruits and meat. We eat very little processed food and boy you can tell when we do. Now our oldest son has hit a growth spurt again so that expenditure is about to go through the roof. A couple of years ago he grew 9 inches in 9 months and that food bill each month back then doubled just because of him.
  18. Zhurh

Zhurh Active Member

We have it pretty good in America. Most of us have the ability to have gardens, grow fresh food and you all know how much meat one can harvest through hunting.

What I don't understand is this: A friend spent time in Africa hunting and as a merc in late 70's, early 80's. He said there is so much game, one would never go hungry. How are all the Africans starving to death?
  19. carver

carver Moderator

I usually cook at least once a day, and think I am getting by with around $5 - $7 per meal at home, and less for meals like breakfast. Evan a frozen pizza cost only around $5. If we eat out twice, a week that adds about $50 to the grocery cost. So that puts the two of us at around $400 a month for food. But the eating out is what really adds to the cost. If we were to elimanated eating out, we would be some where around $200 a month. We do eat a lot of processed foods, because we live so far from the stores we buy a lot of frozen veggies. Meat is bought divided into user friendly amounts, and vacum sealed, then frozen. At the store yesterday I bought two Idaho potatoes for $.90 each, and oranges were $.98 each. The price for food is on the rize, so is your food bill!
  20. carver

carver Moderator

I think about half of the continent of Africa is desert, and there are people that live on the edges of that desert.