What is it worth?

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by Meoffsky1, Sep 11, 2012.

1. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

There's no such thing as a "Ruger Government Model".
  2. Hawg

Hawg Active Member

Dunno if you can read it in the pic but it says Government Target Model.

[​IMG]
  3. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

I can't, but I'll take your word for it.

Damn. That's what - three? Four times I've been wrong? That ain't s'posed to happen. I know everthing!!

Don't I? :p
  4. Hawg

Hawg Active Member

Don't take my word for it google it. Yeah you know it all but somehow this got misplaced. Don't worry it will turn up.:D:D:D
    I think the only difference is the Government model has a 6 7/8 barrel.
    Last edited: Sep 16, 2012
  5. BillM

BillM Active Member

Only two guns come to mind that for a "U.S. Govt model 22" with a bull barrel.

High Standard HD Military
    Ruger Government Target Model

Neither of them is marked "U.S. Gov model"

There ARE 1911's that come pretty close on the markings, but
    they are not bull barrel. The Umarex by Walther, imported and
    branded by Colt comes to mind.
  6. Jim K

Jim K New Member

Ruger made a special run of pistols for the army with 6 7/8 inch bull barrels, which Ruger designated as the "Government Target Model". Ruger then sold the same gun on the commercial market in both blued and stainless steel versions. Guns made for the government were blued and marked "U.S." on the top of the receiver ring.

The commercial models are relatively common, the "U.S." marked guns are quite rare in civilian hands and worth about 3-4 times what the civilian model in comparable condition will bring. Needless to say, some of the "U.S." markings were not put on at the Ruger factory.

Jim
  7. dons2346

dons2346 Well-Known Member Supporting Member

When I was in the Navy, I was on a pistol team. We used High Standards, model I don't remember. I remember that they had a series of weights that could be attached under the barrel so the shooter could fine tune the weapon. Really nice shooters.